Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mackey: Santana is "legitimate SS candidate of future"

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mackey: Santana is "legitimate SS candidate of future"

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/D...e_future022513

Mackey today wrote about Danny Santana, the shortstop that the Twins added to the 40 man roster this past offseason.

"He's a bag full of skills," Ryan said. "He's got all kinds of ability and athleticism, now it's just a matter of consistency. He can do about everything. He's a switch-hitter, he can run, he can steal a base. He can hit a ball over the fence on occasion. He can play second, he can play short."
    There's no question that he has the physical tools to one day be a solid big league SS. Having seen him play a handful of games, you can't help but see the tools. You can also see the mistakes, and as Ryan says later, that's what needs to be cleaned up. If he can become more consistent, he has a real chance. If not, he could be the next Estarlin de Los Santos. I ranked Santana in my top 15 Twins prospects because I do believe he has a chance. Of course, only time will tell.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    If he goes to New Britain as expected, he's not far away. His offensive numbers haven't screamed excitement as of yet, but he's still got time to grow and those numbers at Ft. Myers are actually pretty nice for a middle infielder in that league. With the ugly middle infield situation at the MLB level, it probably won't be too far into the season before people start grumbling to call him up.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If he goes to New Britain as expected, he's not far away. His offensive numbers haven't screamed excitement as of yet, but he's still got time to grow and those numbers at Ft. Myers are actually pretty nice for a middle infielder in that league. With the ugly middle infield situation at the MLB level, it probably won't be too far into the season before people start grumbling to call him up.
    He put up some pretty strong numbers in 2012. he's like 5-8, 175... don't expect a ton of power, although he does take a massive swing sometimes!

Liked 720 Times in 382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a very encouraging report. If Santana can establish himself as a consistent SS who can hit, then this will help a lot in the Twins effort to get back to being a contending team. Are there any other young shortstops in the Twins' system who have similar potential?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    This is a very encouraging report. If Santana can establish himself as a consistent SS who can hit, then this will help a lot in the Twins effort to get back to being a contending team. Are there any other young shortstops in the Twins' system who have similar potential?
    Levi Michael?

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...His offensive numbers haven't screamed excitement as of yet.
    It would be nice just to have a middle infielder whose offensive numbers mumble "competence", given the Twins' track record of developing offense-free middle infielders.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 02-25-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are perhaps 4 players in the minors who have some chance of being an average to above major league shortstop. Santana might be the leading candidate but Micheal, Goodrum and Polanco have enough tools to be in the conversation. Santana really resembles Florimon to a large degree, which should temper the enthusiam over Santana a bit. Having a lot of tools doesn't really mean that they will be realized at the big league level. But like Florimon having great tools like Santana has, means you get extended looks despite inconsistency and generally poor minor league production.

Having patience as an organization can sometimes really pay off with toolsy players who take a long time to "figure it out". Santana's year last year gives some hope and Goodrum is another toolsy guy who may figure things out someday.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds a lot like Alexi Casilla. Talent, skills, no consistency and a ton of mental mistakes... I'll wait a few years before getting excited.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Sounds a lot like Alexi Casilla. Talent, skills, no consistency and a ton of mental mistakes... I'll wait a few years before getting excited.
    I don't really get this. Other than making sort of a mochery of the thread, Which is what you are doing when you say you'll 'wait a few years...' Its not like anybody is predicting he'll be a future superstar.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Its not like anybody is predicting he'll be a future superstar.
    Yes, if want that, go read the Buxton thread. He's apparently the best prospect ever and a near lock to make the HOF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yes, if want that, go read the Buxton thread. He's apparently the best prospect ever and a near lock to make the HOF.
    Why bother? Buxton will clearly bust and is only a product of a weak draft.
    Papers...business papers.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Levi Michael?
    Michael and Santana both played for Ft. Myers last year. Santana played most of the shortstop. Michael is more of a 2B I'd say.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have been crucified if I stated my opinion, which matches yours.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Booo! Why waste years without the hope of joy

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    There are perhaps 4 players in the minors who have some chance of being an average to above major league shortstop. Santana might be the leading candidate but Micheal, Goodrum and Polanco have enough tools to be in the conversation. Santana really resembles Florimon to a large degree, which should temper the enthusiam over Santana a bit. Having a lot of tools doesn't really mean that they will be realized at the big league level. But like Florimon having great tools like Santana has, means you get extended looks despite inconsistency and generally poor minor league production.

Having patience as an organization can sometimes really pay off with toolsy players who take a long time to "figure it out". Santana's year last year gives some hope and Goodrum is another toolsy guy who may figure things out someday.
    Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    I would have been crucified if I stated my opinion, which matches yours.
    Future generations will marvel at the ultimate sacrifices you are making for this baseball forum.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Future generations will marvel at the ultimate sacrifices you are making for this baseball forum.
    No, they will marvel at how hateful people used to be.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, they will marvel at how hateful people used to be.
    Or how short a leash they gave pointlessness. Think of it as a step to try and avoid the future portrayed in Idiocracy.

The reason nobody "crucified" nick's post was that it made a coherent statement.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Or how short a leash they gave pointlessness. Think of it as a step to try and avoid the future portrayed in Idiocracy.

The reason nobody "crucified" nick's post was that it made a coherent statement.
    Thank you for your opinion. The blog post had a point, whether you choose to see it or not. Did you read all of it? Because if you did not, I could see why you thought it was incoherent. I know, its almost an entire page long...might take a while.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-27-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you for your opinion. The blog post had a point, whether you choose to see it or not. Did you read all of it? Because if you did not, I could see why you thought it was incoherent.
    I read it all. All that I could gather was that you're trying to claim that at the age of less than ten years old, you thought Torii Hunter would take "six years". It took a while though, due to having to unroll my eyes from the back of my skull repeatedly. Other than that, you know, totally coherent, what with comparing two athletes across entirely different sports.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast