Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of good reports about Kyle Gibson...

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lots of good reports about Kyle Gibson...

Mauer was impressed by him today and Ron Gardenhire said he had fun watching Gibson on the mound. Then he had a little fun himself....

"He's got a good angle. The ball comes out of his hand really nice," Gardenhire said. "We're not going to let him pitch any more this spring, just to be safe. Just kidding. He looks pretty good."
    It will be interesting, with a 130ish inning limit, if the Twins will feel comfortable putting him in the rotation when they break camp.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/02/24/...ing_twins.html

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read that he hit 96 with his fastball too. My hopes are very high right now.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've heard a lot of people say that his ceiling is being a solid #2. I think he might have the ability to be an ace. I certainly believe he has the makeup and poise to be very good.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson had a good first start. Will be nice to see him on the road as a starter against a good teams best players.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I read that he hit 96 with his fastball too. My hopes are very high right now.
    I've been to many spring training games at Hammond, and I would put no stock into that reading. Last time I was there, they had Duensing registering at 96.

Having said that, the pitch was probably somewhere in that neighborhood, and that's a good sign. Gibson should be quite nasty if he's sitting in the mid-90s.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been to many spring training games at Hammond, and I would put no stock into that reading.
    I've heard Hammond runs a bit hot however reports from the AZ Fall League this year also had Gibson touching 96 a few times -- pitch F/X says the same. Could be fluky too but I don't think it is inconceivable that he got up there.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My assumption is that the 96 that he struck someone out with was probably 94 which is more than enough... especially when his slider is coming in at 88-89 mph (which may be 86-87). That's some nasty stuff, and he also has a good changeup and a slower curveball. His stuff doesn't mean a lot of strikeouts necessarily, but he should get a lot of groundouts.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Oh, wouldn't it just be awesome, if Gibson turned out to be special. God, we Twin fans need something to rally around.

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Oh, wouldn't it just be awesome, if Gibson turned out to be special. God, we Twin fans need something to rally around.
    Amen. I believe that we may have to be patient during his rookie season, but that the upside could be amazing.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Would be great if he made the rotation....if he's one of the 5 best, he should be up here. But we've had that conversation over and over.....I'm just glad he appears healthy and effective.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    with that inning limit, and the fact that his clock hasn't started yet, I kind of wonder if he stays in EST and takes it easy for a month or two (or pitches out of Rochester's pen) before moving to the rotation.

I have been in ft myers & have been watching live BP & games, Gibson looked great, his stuff is above avg & his mound presence is very good. I liked what I saw from Worley, Wood,& Walters looked good.. Same ole from Deduno, good stuff but has no idea where it's going. I have never liked Hendricks mound presence & i saw him shake his arm & flex his elbow after the run scoring double, what was odd was no one came out to see about him, if that had been pelfrey they would have been coaches & trainers sprinting to the mound. Palfrey has looked really good in his pens, anxious to see him tomorrow.

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3up3down View Post
    I have been in ft myers & have been watching live BP & games, Gibson looked great, his stuff is above avg & his mound presence is very good. I liked what I saw from Worley, Wood,& Walters looked good.. Same ole from Deduno, good stuff but has no idea where it's going. I have never liked Hendricks mound presence & i saw him shake his arm & flex his elbow after the run scoring double, what was odd was no one came out to see about him, if that had been pelfrey they would have been coaches & trainers sprinting to the mound. Palfrey has looked really good in his pens, anxious to see him tomorrow.
    Oh my goodness, I totally read that last sentence wrong the first time. Major meaning change.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    He is 25...arms are only good for a limited number of years. The clock is ticking the way of pitch him, not sit him.

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I agree that arms are only good for a limited number of years. I do believe that arms might have a certain number of pitches in them though. In which case, limiting his innings makes sense. I mean, I'm 30 now, but I don't think I am in any danger of tearing my rotator cuff or blowing out my elbow. If he throws 200 innings for the Twins in a lost season and then gets hurt next year, I'd be much more upset than if he throws 130 innings at AAA.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He is 25...arms are only good for a limited number of years. The clock is ticking the way of pitch him, not sit him.
    Which I might agree with if Gibson wasn't on such a strict innings limit anyway. His ability to influence the outcome of the 2013 season is marginal no matter how well he pitches. I don't see any problems with putting him in AAA and letting him pitch 4-5 inning games for awhile, something the team can't really let him do in Minnesota.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't see any problems with putting him in AAA and letting him pitch 4-5 inning games for awhile, something the team can't really let him do in Minnesota.
    You must not have watched much Twins baseball last year. Either that or you've already purged it from your memory Men in Black style.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I've been to many spring training games at Hammond, and I would put no stock into that reading. Last time I was there, they had Duensing registering at 96.

Having said that, the pitch was probably somewhere in that neighborhood, and that's a good sign. Gibson should be quite nasty if he's sitting in the mid-90s.
    I read several reports that talked about the Hammond Stadium gun, that also mentioned that a scout had him top out at 95. Have also read in several places that Gibson will not be in the bullpen, in Minnesota, Rochester, or elsewhere. The reasoning given was that he has never been a reliever in his life. I don't have a clue whether he will begin his career with the Twins or somehow limiting innings in either Rochester or EST. It seems to make a lot of sense, however, if he is going to be limited and miss a month, it makes a lot more sense that it be April rather than September...thus, adding another year to his team control.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Which I might agree with if Gibson wasn't on such a strict innings limit anyway. His ability to influence the outcome of the 2013 season is marginal no matter how well he pitches. I don't see any problems with putting him in AAA and letting him pitch 4-5 inning games for awhile, something the team can't really let him do in Minnesota.
    I agree completely. I understand that we are anxious but there is no way that his effect on the Twins from opening day to Mid May weighs more than having him for another year of team control. My apologies because the topic is beat to death...I could not help it.

swanson, i see that now, thats pretty funny......i should say pelfrey has looked good throwing his bull pens & i am anxious to see him pitch today.. that sounds much better..

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast