Thread: The Return of Thome?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts

The Return of Thome?

La Velle says the Twins talked Thome about a month ago but have not spoken since. Something may still happen as Gardenhire has been requesting a stronger bat for the bench.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...193085161.html

Sign him up and put him at short.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Me thinks if Colabello continues it would be a waste of space to have the gentleman giant return

Senior Member All-Star
    I agree, especially considering I'd prefer a righty.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely prefer a RH bat... I'd be thrilled with Colabello, though this is where it's probably wise to remind people that spring stats are not always indicative of regular season numbers... Thome is a great guy and he was a great player for a long time. Hate to say it, but I think he's pretty much done. Certainly wouldn't play him over Doumit. I'd be fine bringing him back as a 1B coach.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'd be fine bringing him back as a 1B coach.
    Wouldn't most of his knowledge over there be to make sure to touch the base as you jog on past?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Wouldn't most of his knowledge over there be to make sure to touch the base as you jog on past?
    Fundamentals! It's all about fundamentals!

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about hiring Thome as a special hitting coach to help young players?

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    As long as Gardy is acknowledging that they need SOMEONE off the bench that can hit their weight with some pop (though technically I'm not sure Thome can hit his weight these days. You get my point), that's a good enough start for me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Ha, probably but I can't help but think that any clubhouse would benefit from having Jim Thome in it in some capacity.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Bizarro world that you would even think that in a rebuilding year.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,259 Times in 751 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best way to improve the bench is a starting rotation that can go deep enough into games that a 13-man staff isn't required.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, he said he wanted more "Pop" in the lineup. I guess "Pops" is close enough.

I can't help but be interested in bringing back Thome. I know he can't run anymore and you'd have to pinch run most of the time. But back in the old days the manager always had a pitcher ready to run for the older-slower guy. ( Remember Smokey Burgess anyone?) I can already see many times where the Twins have two on with two out, in the bottom of the 9th and Escobar or Floriman up to bat. I'd sure like to have a Thome option here. You just can't win to many games late when all you have to send up to pinch hit are Escobar or Butera. Maybe Colabello or Clement can fill that role. But when it comes to hitting in the clutch, I'd take my chances with Jim Thome.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    How about hiring Thome as a special hitting coach to help young players?
    How would Thome teach young hitters to spray the ball around the field and try to hit doubles?
    The Twins is not broke so Mr. Thome cannot come to fix it.
    But, maybe Molitor can hire him when Gardy gets his early walking papers.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the fans would rather see Thome back with the Twins. If they are going to lose this year it would be nice if they had some name player the average fan would want to come out and see. also he would only be a bench player and get maybe 150-200 plate appearances if he is still productive less if not. but he should still be good for at least a couple more HRs. and put some fans in the stands.

If this team was set up to win now i might feel differently.
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand why he wasn't sign again for last season, but this season I do like Colabello. I said that awhile ago and even thought that I was crazy. I would want Thome as some kind of coach in the future, but he should probably be near family in Chicago.

Put me in the camp that would love to see Thome return. His spot on the 25 man probably belongs to Butera right now, and I think it's safe to say most of us would be fine with Drew in Rochester.

Gardy has managed to keep him healthy and hitting in his age 39/40 seasons, so it's not too far of a stretch that he can do it again at age 42. 150-200 productive abs might be worth a C level prospect come July so why not?

It's a tough call. He can work into that DH position as neither Doumit, Mauer or Morneau look to be total fulltime. He iust the punch you need to come off the bench if the game (is ever) on the line. He will no doubt be injured part of the year. He could be traded in July to a real contender.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Let's not forget the fragile health of Morneau, Maurer and Doumit. If one of them goes down, it would sure be nice to be able to insert Thome in the DH spot 4 or 5 times a week. Butera takes up the slack if any of these guys go down. So Floriman and Butera at the bottom of the order is pretty weak. Thome is a pretty good insurance policy.

The answer to the fragile help of the three currently on the team is not a guy with even more fragile health.