Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of good reports about Kyle Gibson...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Right. He can pitch 2/3 of a season regardless of where he's at. Why waste a chunk of that time in Triple-A if you feel he's ready to pitch in the majors? You want him to get as much exposure against top-level hitters as you can, so you have a better idea of what you've got going forward.
    I want to focus on this for a bit because I have a question. What are the rules regarding shutting down a player mid-season? I know that it's either against the rules or extremely bad form to send down a player that is going to be DLed (which I assume is what will happen to Gibson). The Brewers caught a lot of flak for "stealing" a year of service from JJ Hardy by sending him down for three weeks.

If they can send him to the minors mid-season to essentially shut him down (and thereby temporarily stopping his service clock), I have absolutely no qualms with that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Milwaukee sent Hardy down for the exact amount of time needed to gain another year of control. Then he got traded to us at the end of that season.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Milwaukee sent Hardy down for the exact amount of time needed to gain another year of control. Then he got traded to us at the end of that season.
    I edited my post to include JJ Hardy, funny that you should mention him...

But are the rules different when the DL is involved?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I edited my post to include JJ Hardy, funny that you should mention him...

But are the rules different when the DL is involved?
    I don't think DL time is included

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I don't think DL time is included
    I'm almost certain that DL time counts as service time if the player is on the Major League roster when put on the DL.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm almost certain that DL time counts as service time if the player is on the Major League roster when put on the DL.
    I phrased that wrong...I'm not sure if it affects service time if a guy is sent down to recover and get his timing or whatever after being on the DL.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    This is correct. That is why during ST the first cuts are players on the 40-man roster that are definitely not going to make the team. They don't want to risk them getting hurt in ST and being forced to put them on the Major league DL. It's not that big of a deal if it is a minor injury, but they would lose a whole year of service time if it is a season ending injury.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I phrased that wrong...I'm not sure if it affects service time if a guy is sent down to recover and get his timing or whatever after being on the DL.
    It depends on how it is handled. If the player is sent on a rehab assignment, he is still technically on the DL and service time would accrue.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People can continue making this argument indefinitely.
    No. Not really. At least not if you accept the concept Bill James expressed many years ago, of each team having a reservoir of talent that rises and falls through the years. The amount of talent that can be used in a given year depends on where each player is on his career path. I think of it like a bell-shaped curve or an inverted parabola, though more flattened I suppose. Given the CBA, you get only a certain number of years at reasonable cost, and you have some control over which years those are. If you choose to start at age 18, you get a portion of the curve where the early years aren't worth very much at the major league level. If somehow you instead delay the start until age 35, you'd get the portion where the last years aren't worth very much. If you had perfect forecasting of a player's career, you could pick the window that maximized his value delivered. If you did this for every player in the system, you could pick those windows that maximize team performance over a period of years (with options to go for steady excellence over the years or try to pack the most value into certain years).

For players with low ceilings, these decisions aren't make or break. For high-ceiling players, it matters.

I'm not saying anything you don't understand and already believe, I'm sure. But it's an answer to why people aren't just being stubborn mules who would never bring a good player up if they were GM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Or option him to Rochester, and just not put him in a game. He's not injured, just not playing--coaches decision.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I am with nick on this.....110%....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want to focus on this for a bit because I have a question. What are the rules regarding shutting down a player mid-season? I know that it's either against the rules or extremely bad form to send down a player that is going to be DLed (which I assume is what will happen to Gibson). The Brewers caught a lot of flak for "stealing" a year of service from JJ Hardy by sending him down for three weeks.

If they can send him to the minors mid-season to essentially shut him down (and thereby temporarily stopping his service clock), I have absolutely no qualms with that.
    I'm not basing on much fact here, but it seems like having a guy who is known to be on an innings limit go down just before reaching it and then suddenly goes on the DL, that it would be a pretty big no-no with the union (not to mention just the principle of it). In fact, isn't that essentially what the Perkins grievance from several years ago was all about? I reiterate, this is all speculation and fuzzy memory.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Gibson makes the roster opening day, he will be Twins property from 2013-2018. He will have 3 years of serfdom making approximateliy 500k/yr and 3 years of arbitration.

If Gibson gets promoted on May 1, he's Twins property from 2013-2019. he will also likely be a Super 2 meaking he has 3 years of serfdom and 4 years of arbitration.

If Gibson gets promoted between June and July, he essentially ends up with 4 years of serfdom and 3 years of arb.

You cannot say with a straight face that there isn't value in that... especially if he season is lost. The big downside, as I see it is some players know they are essentially being held back for that additional control. In the case of Gibson, he's not a lock to make the rotation, and for all intents and purposes, the season is lost (unless someone honestly thinks Gibson is the difference between playing in October or staying home). And while his peripherals prior to the injury were quite good, he wasn't exactly destroying AAA either. I agree that this is a much bigger deal if it's a Boras client who you know will leave, but it's still a big deal. This has nothing to do with Gibson being good enough or not. It has everything to do with getting an extra year of cost controlled player that will either make for a cheaper long term contract, give you more leverage in buying out some years, or make the player an attractive trade option.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I'm not basing on much fact here, but it seems like having a guy who is known to be on an innings limit go down just before reaching it and then suddenly goes on the DL, that it would be a pretty big no-no with the union (not to mention just the principle of it). In fact, isn't that essentially what the Perkins grievance from several years ago was all about? I reiterate, this is all speculation and fuzzy memory.
    It has nothing to do with beingn on the DL, and everything to do with sending him down. Perkins got optioned, hence the grievance. JJ Hardy was also optioned. The team can only keep them down in the minors for so long when rehabbing an injury without optioning them. After that point, they either get called up or optioned. If Gibson tears his UCL in May in Minnesota, he's going to accumulate ML service time until the Twins can option him. If he does it in Rochester, he won't.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Sure, an additional year of team control may not matter; imho, I'd continue to try get that extra year of control, whether it has historically mattered or not, because in my mind, that extra year of team control could be a boon in some instances I don't foresee.

Senior Member MVP
    And I want the best players up here....would your story change if it was not a lost year? How well did it turn out last year for the Angels to keep trout sown, for example.....

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And I want the best players up here....would your story change if it was not a lost year? How well did it turn out last year for the Angels to keep trout sown, for example.....
    If we were competitive my tune may change, depending on our personal.

It's only in hindsight that we can say the Angels would have made the playoffs if they broke camp with Trout. The Angels had plenty of OFers and recently signed Pujols, there was no reason to think they needed to 'rush' Trout to the show in order to compete. I'm sure the Angels are happy with the extra year of control, and that will probably matter to some extent both in terms of Trout contract and when they decide to extend him. The Angels have more leverage now that they have Trout for another year; that's a good thing in my mind, esp considering the context of why Trout didn't start the season with the club.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    If we were competitive my tune may change, depending on our personal.

It's only in hindsight that we can say the Angels would have made the playoffs if they broke camp with Trout. The Angels had plenty of OFers and recently signed Pujols, there was no reason to think they needed to 'rush' Trout to the show in order to compete. I'm sure the Angels are happy with the extra year of control, and that will probably matter to some extent both in terms of Trout contract and when they decide to extend him. The Angels have more leverage now that they have Trout for another year; that's a good thing in my mind, esp considering the context of why Trout didn't start the season with the club.
    Trout can still be a free agent in 2018. Still only six seasons of control 2012-2017

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    By the same reasoning, why call Gibson up in three weeks when you could wait three months and extend your team control for half a year? Why not wait the whole season and extend by it by a full year?
    Yeah, because that would be exactly the same as advocating for a couple of weeks in year one, then staying on the major league roster for the next 6.9 years.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member MVP
    And if the angels have injuries and other issues derail them in the future, that year of control will be meaningless. The present is much more knowable than 6 years from now. It would clearly would not have been rushing him to the majors last year, and now they lost one of his peak years in terms of making the playoffs.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast