Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    My problem with Pearl Jam is that they don't demonstrate much musical and vocal diversity--they seem to exploit the same kind of brooding guitars and vocals throughout all their hits--though sometimes their poignancy is undeniable. While I like the sound, beyond Pearl Jam's lyrics (and even then...), I don't necessarily find them particularly artistic.

Pearl Jam just has nothing on Nirvana, imo.
    You'll get no argument from me on that, couldn't agree more. I know he gets a lot of love, but Grohl is truly an amazing talent that is worthy of every bit of it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    My problem with Pearl Jam is that they don't demonstrate much musical and vocal diversity--they seem to exploit the same kind of brooding guitars and vocals throughout all their hits--though sometimes their poignancy is undeniable. While I like the sound, beyond Pearl Jam's lyrics (and even then...), I don't necessarily find them particularly artistic.

Pearl Jam just has nothing on Nirvana, imo.
    I don't know if that's entirely fair. They play a range of styles and their sound has evolved quite a bit over two decades. They haven't really added instruments, they don't do a ton with percussion and Vedder's voice is what it is. I still see them as the quintessential garage band and they are extremely good live. That probably impacts my opinion as I have probably seen them 15 times in concert and they never disappoint and always mix up their sets.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You'll get no argument from me on that, couldn't agree more. I know he gets a lot of love, but Grohl is truly an amazing talent that is worthy of every bit of it.
    Grohl is a great talent. Big fan of Nirvana and Foo Fighters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Grohl is a great talent. Big fan of Nirvana and Foo Fighters as well.
    Yeah, I think some of why I dog PJ is because I see the potential to be as great as I feel those two bands are. I just personally can't get past a few things. So I don't want to come off as bashing them, they just never captured my attention.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've seen Pearl Jam about 10 times and Foo Fighters maybe 5 times. Both put on a really great show, but PJ blows FF out of the water. I think the live experience really made me appreciate PJ and Eddie Vedder a lot more than I originally did. I can totally understand why people rag on Eddie's voice, but I love it and I think it's gotten much better over the years.

Where does everyone stand on Queens of the Stone Age? They seem to bridge a gap between PJ and Nirvana, artistic but no-nonsense at the same time.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if that's entirely fair. They play a range of styles and their sound has evolved quite a bit over two decades. They haven't really added instruments, they don't do a ton with percussion and Vedder's voice is what it is. I still see them as the quintessential garage band and they are extremely good live. That probably impacts my opinion as I have probably seen them 15 times in concert and they never disappoint and always mix up their sets.
    They added Boom! I love what they have done with his organ.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    They added Boom! I love what they have done with his organ.
    Of course I love Boom, but the organ is the only instrument they have really added outside of the guitars and drums. I am typically a huge fan of strings or horns on top of guitar/drums, would love to see Pearl Jam experiment with that at some point.
    Papers...business papers.

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    Of course I love Boom, but the organ is the only instrument they have really added outside of the guitars and drums. I am typically a huge fan of strings or horns on top of guitar/drums, would love to see Pearl Jam experiment with that at some point.
    Yes, very good point. Are you into the Afghan Whigs at all? I like how they use non-traditional rock instruments.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    It's amazing how different styles/songs/artists strike different chords with different people. Even though the '90s is my "generation" I can't stand the bands you've listed. Not a one. Give me some Muse or some ACDC please!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    It's amazing how different styles/songs/artists strike different chords with different people. Even though the '90s is my "generation" I can't stand the bands you've listed. Not a one. Give me some Muse or some ACDC please!
    Muse is outstanding. I've more than warmed up to them, they have such a cool, eclectic sound. They produce more with three guys than some bands do with 5. Also, I know they are the trendy rock pick these days, but El Camino was a fantastic record by the Black Keys.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I'm certainly down with that. The only argument that I see possibly arising amongst AC/DC diehards is who was the better front man, Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Little something for everyone for some lesserish known bands/artists: (outside of Aldean)

Black Keys - I Got Mine
    I Got Mine - The Black Keys - YouTube

Dr. John - Revolution
    Dr. John - Revolution [Official Video] - YouTube

Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights
    Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Knife Party - Bonfire
    Knife Party - 'Bonfire' - YouTube

Matt & Kim - Lets Go
    Matt & Kim - Let's Go - YouTube

Jason Aldean - Dirt Road Anthem
    Jason Aldean - Dirt Road Anthem - YouTube

Childish Gambino - Freaks & Geeks
    Childish Gambino - Freaks And Geeks (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Atmosphere - Puppets
    Atmosphere- Puppets (w/ Lyrics) - YouTube

ZZ Ward - Put The Gun Down
    ZZ Ward - Put the Gun Down (Official Lyric Video) - YouTube

I've listened to so much rap lately, just because of the sad state of rock bands on the radio currently. It's tough to think of any rock bands outside of the Dave Grohl led bands, The Black Keys, Muse, Pearl Jam, and Tool that are consistantly making good rock music. Wolfmother maybe? RHCP's last album was pretty much a death wish. They used to be great. I love Jack White's bands, but realize he is pretty niche and not really for everyone. I guess I'm just try to say, the Shinedown, Chevelle, and Nickelback sound is getting overbearing. Please no more Shinedown. It's awful.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I always liked listening to some of the bands that Kurt Cobain found so intriguing (Flipper, Pixies, The Vaselines, to name but a few). The man was a phenomenal talent in that not only could he produce great music, but he also had a good ear for it as well.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    I'm certainly down with that. The only argument that I see possibly arising amongst AC/DC diehards is who was the better front man, Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?
    Bon Scott had Soul and fantastic pacing and it was natural. It wasn't like he put a lot of music theory thought into it... he just did it.

Brian Johnson is a screamer... Looks like he's taking a dump on stage just getting the notes out.

Bon Scott is the clear winner and I don't think it's that close.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    No classical love anyone? I could never live without a little Bach. It's a good way to start and end your day, no matter what one listens to in between ... and I do listen to quite a lot in between.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I love classical music. Listen to some every day. I used to have a great weight-lifting mix that was all classical music, and people who heard it thought it was great. Then that mp3 player was stolen, and I haven't been able to find the songs again (I mixed it from a friend's computer who has as many days and hours of classical music on his computer as I have total music). Classical has a lot of different stuff, depending on my mood. Debussy for some relaxing music, Tchaikovsky for more upbeat stuff, Beethoven for a good collection of combination sympony/vocal, and Mozart/Bach for background music as I work around the house. I do feel blessed to have been exposed to a lot of different classical music when I was in college as a vocal performance minor.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I love classical music. Listen to some every day. I used to have a great weight-lifting mix that was all classical music, and people who heard it thought it was great. Then that mp3 player was stolen, and I haven't been able to find the songs again (I mixed it from a friend's computer who has as many days and hours of classical music on his computer as I have total music). Classical has a lot of different stuff, depending on my mood. Debussy for some relaxing music, Tchaikovsky for more upbeat stuff, Beethoven for a good collection of combination sympony/vocal, and Mozart/Bach for background music as I work around the house. I do feel blessed to have been exposed to a lot of different classical music when I was in college as a vocal performance minor.
    I don't have a lot of classical on my workout mix, but this is one that gets me really working ... Gustav Holst - The Planets - Mars, the Bringer of War - YouTube

hey drjim and brad swanson, what is your thoughts on Binaural? It seems like PJ fans either love it or ignore it. Personally i think it's their best album.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freshinthehouse View Post
    hey drjim and brad swanson, what is your thoughts on Binaural? It seems like PJ fans either love it or ignore it. Personally i think it's their best album.
    It's definitely one of my favorites too. It's the album I cite when people claim that all their songs sound the same. I also think most of the songs on the album are excellent live.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast