Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Tom Windle

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, anyway, TOM WINDLE.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Never really been impressed by Windle but as a college arm who pitches for the gophers I understand why we are talking about him. If he proves he can be a safe/quick to the bigs lefty I don't see him making it to the second round. If he doesn't prove those things there is no reason to draft him IMO. While the draft is weak in college players there is an abundance of HS LHPers I would love to see the Twins take a chance on in the second round.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windle threw a no-hitter today. Update tomorrow.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In all likelihood, it's likely that Windle has already been drafted when the Twins pick in the 2nd round. Lots of season left and many more scouts will see him, but this would sure be a nice 2nd round pick.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Highlights from last night's no-no. (A hit changed to an error in the 6th inning.)

Ive liked mymlbdraft.com over years for research, and they dont have Winddle goin in the first round yet.....so possibly

I haven't followed Tom's college career but I saw him plenty in HS. He had all the tools then, and was very tough to beat. Being a lefty with that talent will increase his value. The NH shows that he is also putting it all together his Jr. season. I think it's pretty cool that we have hometown guys that are excelling in sports.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Windle's first inning from last night...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    90-94 on the fastball, primarily at 91. Looks like a good slider at 81-82. Works fast. Throws strikes. Looks like a pretty decent pitcher!

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    The fun part of that game is being able to directly compare two top talented LHP with each other. In most college or even low A games, the real talent stands out and it's hard to gauge 'how' good a guy is compared to other top players. In this case Manaea was a step (or a 1/2 a round to a round) better than Windle. One of the ways Windle was better than Manaea though, was Tom did a better job fielding his postion. After he throws a pitch, Manaea back faces the batter, leaving it up to 3B, SS, and 2B to charge in on lightly hit balls. This lead to a couple of Gophers getting infield singles. Windle's follow thru leaves him facing the batter and he was able to make a few hard plays on bunts or swinging bunts. That was great to see.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Windle got it done again. I'm fairly certain some team drafting late in the first round will take Windle and get a very solid lefty that will fill nicely into the middle of their big-league rotation within a couple of years.

Windle fits the Scott Diamond/Glen Perkins/Kentucky lefthanders profile the Twins have added over the last handful of years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Windle is killing it. Man, there are a ton of good LHPers in this draft. I know we talk about windle because he is from MN but there are going to be plenty of solid LHPers (HS or college) in the second round.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 03-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    GopherSports.com put their spotlight on the talented left-hander with a very good Q&A:

Gopher Spotlight: Left-handed Pitcher Tom Windle - GOPHERSPORTS.COM - The Official Athletic Site of the Minnesota Gophers

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if he will go in the first round, but I suspect he gets taken in the suplemental round... really hoping he's there at 2.4.

Mlb.com currently ranks Windle at 28. Click link to see video of him and all the top prospects. NOTE: Select (50 Draft)

2013 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: News

Senior Member All-Star
    While Windle has most likely pitched himself into the first round I really don't mind. After wimmers I'm not really a fan of "safe" back of the rotation guys. While people around here love the fact he is from Minnesota in reality that doesn't make him a better prospect. I rather take a shot on clarkins (might go in top 15 if he keeps pitching well), krooks, or gonsalves. Upside, upside, upside!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I missed the part where Windle was low upside. He's a lefty that can hit mid 90s. He gets his Ks and the walks are reduced. He's not in the Manea/Anderson/Appel/Gray category, but he isn't that far off from them either. I'm not sure I'd call him a back of the rotation guy. His career will likely be a career#3 with some seasons where he puts up #2 type numbers. That's a great pick at numbrer 2 if he's there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Last time I checked pitchers that have three solid-average pitches, no above average/plus pitch, normally profile as 3/4/5s. Maybe I was harsh saying back of the rotation because he is a lefty but I see being a #3 as his ceiling. Lots of college guys who dont profile to be front of the rotation pitchers K alot of guys. Wimmers k'd a ton of guys and still profiled as a #4.

Is getting a #3 in the second round a bad thing? Heck no! I would welcome Windle to the Twins with open arms. I was just saying personally I prefer higher upside, higher bust potential, guys. In the end it most likely wont matter anyways because if Windle keeps pitching the way he does he wont make it out of the first round.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I agree, Windle would be a welcome addition to the organization if he's around in the 2nd round. But it's true, he's not real projectable. He relies on his command and doesn't miss a lot of bats. Very Scott Diamond-ish, if you will. A great guy to have on the staff, but not someone a contending team will pitch as their #1... not that there's anything wrong with that!

Senior Member All-Star
    From Callis' April 10th chat about the Twins and windle.

When the Twins draft at 43, will Tom Windle be worthy of that pick?

Jim Callis: Yes, but may not last that long.

Last edited by cmb0252; 04-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast