Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Tom Windle

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Keith Law released his new top 50 list today and I was surprised to see Windle absent. Law had him ranked #40 on his last list. Everything else I have read about Widdle has him moving up so I'm not sure why Law dropped him. I hope to make his chat tomorrow and ask.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 04-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    That's a good question. I'm guessing Law has been talking to scouts that have different Favorites. In his last Podcast, he talked about people in the industry seeing the talent gel together from 20-60. Which means every teams top 100 list could look very different. Which might be good news for the Twins, who could get a a guy they liked in the 1st round in the 2nd. Bad news for Windle who could drop in a college pitcher heavy draft.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still doubt Windle is there at 43. Keith Law favors upside when he does these rankings. While Windle profiles as a reliable starter with a high probability of panning out, his upside is probably a #4 starter

Senior Member All-Star
    Some one asked my Windle question for me.
    Isee Tom Widdle isn't on your current top 50, has his stock fallen or have people passed him?
    Klaw (2:22 PM)

It's Windle, and having heard reports about his delivery becoming more violent and requiring more effort, I dropped him off the top 50. That ranking is my own evaluation, based on what I've seen, on video I've received, and on input from scouts and execs on the players. My goal every year is to get that list to be as accurate as possible by draft day. A player moving around doesn't mean he's changed so much as that I've gained more information or insight.

Klaw (2:22 PM)

That's especially true when I haven't seen a player live, by the way.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I still doubt Windle is there at 43. Keith Law favors upside when he does these rankings. While Windle profiles as a reliable starter with a high probability of panning out, his upside is probably a #4 starter
    He gets enough Ks that I'd think his ceiling might be a bit higher than that, but I'll say this, I'd be thrilled if the Twins got him at 2.

Senior Member All-Star
    I feel his ceiling is a #3 at best. While I feel Windle would be good value in the second round I still prefer a higher upside high school arm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Clunker by Windle this weekend.
    8/5 K/BB, 7.1 innings, 5 hits, 6 ER.

Senior Member All-Star
    This isn't about Mr.Windle but his team mate from Jim Callis' weekly chat:

Any reports in DJ Snelton and where he could be drafted?
    Jim Callis: I think Snelton, a Minnesota LHP, he’ll go in the 5th-10th round range. He strained his elbow and got a late start to the season, but he’s a 6-foot-7 lefty who gets good extension in his delivery. He can touch 95 mph, throws a decent slider and changeup. Scouts don’t love his arm action.

In Keith Law's last draft board update he had Snelton in the other prospects to know section.

Senior Member All-Star
    For all those people want the Twins to draft Windle. From BA's chat yesterday

Gophers LHP Tom Windle- Sandwich round guy?
    Jim Callis: Yes, sandwich or second round. Solid fastball and plus slider. There’s some debate on his delivery and athleticism, and whether he’s better as a starter or reliever, but it’s defintely a quality lefty arm.

And Law's chat today:
    Tom Windle in the first round? Possible?
    Klaw (1:28 PM)

Possible, unlikely. Better college arms available.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I feel his ceiling is a #3 at best. While I feel Windle would be good value in the second round I still prefer a higher upside high school arm.
    Agreed, and maybe I'm wrong, but he just doesn't seem to have much upside. The Twins drafted Berrios in that spot last year. The Astros later picked McCullers and even Bard the next pick by the Twins both seem to have upside. I can't say I've seen him pitch, but the numbers, the conference and the stats all seem to point to a "servicable" lable for Windle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123