Thread: April 30th

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

April 30th

Link

Buffalo vs Rochester 11:35 AM
    BUF: Bush (2-1, 1.65) ROC: Albers (0-0, 4.58)

Harrisburg vs New Britain 5:35 PM
    HAR: Clay (2-0, 2.70) NBR: Meyer, A (2-0, 1.64)

Fort Myers vs Clearwater 6:05 PM
    FTM: Baxendale (3-0, 1.54) CLR: Hernandez, N (2-0, 3.60

Lansing vs Cedar Rapids 12:05 PM
    LAN: Osuna (1-1, 2.95) CR: Tomshaw (0-0, 9.00)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Through 5 innings Buxton is 2-3 with his 4th HR of the year. This kid is sort of good.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Through 5 innings Buxton is 2-3 with his 4th HR of the year. This kid is sort of good.
    Yea he is...should be MWL player of the Month.

I won't be posting about Buxton very much more. It kind of gets old to write the same things over and over and over again.

But got a pretty good Idea how I compare him to Trout.

The only difference from Trout and Buxton is Trout was thicker in the body and country strong, where Buxton is lean with athletic strength. If somebody asked me who was better in Cedar Rapids, to tell you the truth, I am leaning towards Buxton.
    Love my God Daughter, Love Baseball, Love Twitter , I Love Golfing.

-I use to think Drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking.

Senior Member All-Star
    From the game cast about Buxtons HR:he connected for a 2-run home run that left the stadium and bounced into a tree on 8th Avenue beyond left field.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I am not familiar with the stadium, but a few days ago it was reported he hit one out that bounced onto the roof of a house across the street. This was the game the Twins head of Minor league ops was at. Sort of an indication that he may have serious power. If someone knows the stadium could comment...

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Naturally, he starts cooling off and I post something in another thread mentioning it... then he does this. I think I need talk down on him more.

Buxton sucks. Take that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Naturally, he starts cooling off and I post something in another thread mentioning it... then he does this. I think I need talk down on him more.

Buxton sucks. Take that.
    So I asked it in the other thread, but by what measure was he cooling off? The fact he is no longer hitting .450? He has reached base every game and had an OPS over 1.000 in the last 10.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Meyer with a good but not great game. 6IP, 5H, 4ER, 3BB, 8K 92 pitches and 51 strikes

His strike:ball ratio seems a little poor. I'm guessing he is going to struggle a little as a rookie since MLB'ers won't chase as much and he could be in for a 100 pitch games that end before the 6th inning. But I'm still pretty excited that a pitcher with real stuff is coming up for the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's an overhead view of the Veterans Memorial Stadium in CR. You can see the "notch" down the LF line where the fence is only 315 ft from home plate. What you can't see well in the pic is that the fence is about 20 ft high there. There's a couple rows of tiered picnic tables beyond the fence. You can also see 8th Ave beyond the LF fence. That's the street Buxton has put 3 HRs on to on the fly already this season.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    3 of the hits, 2 of the walks and all of the runs came in one inning. Not sure what happened in that inning but the others were pretty brilliant.

He did seem to be falling behind a lot, but for the most part the AA hitters couldn't hit him anyway. That could be different with major league hitters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's a picture that lets you see the LF wall from behind home plate.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Senior Member All-Star
    Thanks for the pictures SD. Definitely helps for those of us who haven't been to cedar rapids

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well if Buxton is going to hit one out on to that street every home stand, we all might as well "see" what that really means. I'd guess the street is 425 or so at least. For perspective, the LCF corner where the fence cuts across in front of the batters eye is 409 ft from home plate. Dead center in front of the batters eye is 400 even.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Wat a great forum! Ask a question and get a terrific answer. Thanks. Back to the question I raised. Clearly, this young man has some serious deep in his bat. It's really crazy to think that he and Sano are this young and moving up this quickly through "our" minor league system. Mauer later in his career with Sano and Buxton could easily be today's version of Killebrew, Oliva & Carew.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano and Buxton are still making their case to be the 2 best prospects in the game. If Rosario's defense has really improved that much, I could see him being in the top 50.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Has someone linked this yet? Y! SPORTS

Fun part, "Nobody had a better month on the farm than the Twins, who saw Sano and Buxton translate two of the best raw toolsets in the minor leagues into matching production."

Right now, I think I'd put Buxton ahead of Sano. Both could be top 5 prospects next year. Sweet.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Has someone linked this yet? Y! SPORTS

Fun part, "Nobody had a better month on the farm than the Twins, who saw Sano and Buxton translate two of the best raw toolsets in the minor leagues into matching production."

Right now, I think I'd put Buxton ahead of Sano. Both could be top 5 prospects next year. Sweet.
    Fasttrack, here we go! It worked out well for 3 teams in the playoff hunt last season (Angels, Nats and Orioles). No reason that both can't get an extended call-up next season, and ready to go full-time in '15.