Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Ryne Stanek

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    This is disappointing, I was really hoping for 4 obvious starting pitchers at the top.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An encouraging sign for those in need of pitching - Stanek had "Top 5 stuff" in his win over #6 South Carolina. In what was easily his best game of the year, Stanek went the distance allowing zero earned runs against a solid lineup.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Hopefully he finally got himself right. More top end guys in the draft the better.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Full stats not available yet, but Stanek had a bounce-back performance tonight. He struck out five - allowing four hits - in eight innings.

Senior Member All-Star
    I love this gem from Chris Slade over at minorleagueball:
    Ryne Stanek - RHP - Arkansas - Last week: 4 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 92 Pitches! This week: 8 IP, 5 H, O ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 97 Pitches. He's consistently inconsistent.

Link for the rest of his college baseball round up below:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...ecap-april-5-7

Senior Member All-Star
    From callis' April 10th chat

How far is Ryan Stanek falling?

Jim Callis: He’s starting to turn it back around and I see him going in the teens, with the possibility of moving up further in the next two months.

Reading the rest of his chat you can clearly tell callis doesn't have stanek as an option for the Twins at 4 currently. Hopefully he can find some consistency and pitch his way back into the picture.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    From ESPN insider today: (I think this is short enough to include, if not, apologies):

said an AL scout. "He's not the same guy I saw this summer, but today was a step in the right direction. He commanded all four pitches pretty well and I still see a No. 2 starter.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    While it is great to see Stanek, or any other draftee for that matter, improving their stock he still has a long ways to go to get back into the top 5 discussion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Keith law has Stanek at 10, dropping from 4, on his updated draft list. When BA did their updated list a few weeks ago they had Stanek at 18, was 5, but since then he has had 2 good outings. Hopefully he keeps it up and gets back into the top 5 discussion.

Senior Member All-Star
    • From Jim Callis chat today:

Jim, Ryne Stanek was in the conversation for 1st overall pick by scouts/writers prior to the season. He struggled early with command and slid but his last 5 starts have been nothing short of excellent (0.54 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 32 K/8 BB, 33.2 IP). I know Gray and Appel have raised the bar for the #1 overall pick but shouldn't Stanek be somewhere right after those 2? Seems like writers are still not showing him a lot of love

Jim Callis: Stanek could go in the 7-15 range, he's definitely back on track.

Senior Member All-Star
    Staneks weekend line:
    3/3 K/BB, 6.2 innings pitched, 7 H, 1 ER

Very average line for a pitcher trying to get back into the top 10 picks

Senior Member All-Star
    A quote from a scout on Stanek via Christopher Crawford:

"I've seen some bad [Stanek] starts this year, but this one takes the cake," an AL Central scout said. "None of his pitches even flashed plus in the first three innings, and the command was once again well-below average. I thought he'd challenge Appel at the beginning of the year, but there's no way I'd take him in the first 15 picks right now. If you do, you're betting on the Stanek of [last] summer, and that's a bad bet."

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 78 Times in 45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think its safe to say he is out of contention to be the Twins draft pick. Too many bad starts to make it up.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    A quote from a scout on Stanek via Christopher Crawford:

"I've seen some bad [Stanek] starts this year, but this one takes the cake," an AL Central scout said. "None of his pitches even flashed plus in the first three innings, and the command was once again well-below average. I thought he'd challenge Appel at the beginning of the year, but there's no way I'd take him in the first 15 picks right now. If you do, you're betting on the Stanek of [last] summer, and that's a bad bet."
    If this was the NFL draft people would likely be saying this is a bit of a smoke screen hoping to push him lower. If I was the Tigers, I'd tell my scouts to give reports like this hoping he falls to them toward the bottom of the first. Heck, I'd hope the Twins scouts would do the same and hope to push him into the second.

He hasn't been pitching well, but what I'm getting at is the good stratagy is to tank his value.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I don't get the smokescreen thing. I don't get it in the NFL either other than to mask your intention of who you actually want so no one trades up to get him.

But dissing a guy with hopes that others sour on him is just silly. It isn't as though NFL evaluators all don't have access to the same film... The same is true in baseball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12