Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Sean Manaea

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The reports I saw on Gray was that he's a 3 starter, correct? If that's the case, if Manaea doesn't have what it takes, I'd rather draft a guy like Anderson under slot (who would also end up a 3 starter but seems to have more upside) and then go after a tough highschool sign later in the draft.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    The reports I saw on Gray was that he's a 3 starter, correct? If that's the case, if Manaea doesn't have what it takes, I'd rather draft a guy like Anderson under slot (who would also end up a 3 starter but seems to have more upside) and then go after a tough highschool sign later in the draft.
    I think that was probably the pre-season report. As far as current college arms go, Appel, Manaea and Gray probably all could be projected as top-of-the-rotation guys based on the swings and misses they got. Though others are down on Manaea after Friday's start, I'm not and I don't think the Twins, who love success in the Cape, are either. I've said all along that Manaea would need more time in the minors and that remains true. He areas of need are fixable, all in a left-handed package.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Nice reports from the guys at Perfect Game on Friday Night's game.

PG: Manaea-Windle lives up to billing (It appears to be one of the free articles on the site as well.)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    there's a nice write up on minorleagueball as well on the Manaea-Windle matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Nice reports from the guys at Perfect Game on Friday Night's game.

PG: Manaea-Windle lives up to billing (It appears to be one of the free articles on the site as well.)

Taken from this article: "'I hate pitching in the cold,' Manaea said after the game about pitching in the cozy confines of the Metrodome. 'It's probably the worst thing. Coming here and having nice conditions, and actually sweating while pitching, was big for me."

Still a lot of snow on the ground.... April 1st is coming fast...

Also-- the more I read, the more I like Windle. Not at 4, but who knows how long he will stick around come draft day.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mave View Post
    Taken from this article: "'I hate pitching in the cold,' Manaea said after the game about pitching in the cozy confines of the Metrodome. 'It's probably the worst thing. Coming here and having nice conditions, and actually sweating while pitching, was big for me."
    I thought the same thing... but it's not like Colorado or Chicago are in the tropics either, so he's gonna have to deal with it.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    From what I gather about Manaea's most recent (7 shutout innings) performance was that he was a little erratic, but also looked a little more like his summer-electric-self.

Most importantly, he did so in 41 degree weather.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    It was announced today that Manaea would not be making his start this weekend due to a strained hip muscle. The hope is that he'll be able to throw, but Indiana State's plan is to play it safe.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    It was announced today that Manaea would not be making his start this weekend due to a strained hip muscle. The hope is that he'll be able to throw, but Indiana State's plan is to play it safe.
    That's not good news.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    If you want Manaea to be there at #4 it's not bad news...

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    If you want Manaea to be there at #4 it's not bad news...
    That's how I feel. This may be part of the reason he has fallen off since the Cape. Don't forget how players who play well in the Cape typically stay pretty high on the Twins draft board.

Senior Member All-Star
    Manaea has a lot of question marks around him and missing starts with an injury can't help. Currently I just can't see him being a top 5 guy until he proves his stuff from the cape cod is really.

Senior Member All-Star
    Manaea did miss his start Friday with a hip strain but he did throw Sunday. He threw 6 shutout innings and ended the day with a 9/0 k/bb ratio. No word on the quality of his stuff. Christopher crawford (helping Law with draft info at ESPN) had an interesting quote from an NL scout.

"Hip injuries can just be such a lingering issue," an NL scout said. "Even if it's mild and creates just a little bit of discomfort, it's something to keep an eye on because they have this nasty habit of coming back. [I'm] not saying that it's a reason not to draft a kid, but it's more homework for a club to do and can put doubt in a club's mind."

Its a good read and has information about several other draft prospect and is linked below:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/mlb_draft/id/9146465/stanford-austin-wilson-returns-action-indiana-state-sean-manaea-battles-injury-mlb

Also in Jim callis chat on the third he was asked the following question:
    Seems like Sean Manaea's stock has fallen in a lot of mock drafts. Do you chalk up his less than totally dominant start, both production and stuff-wise, to the weather? Something else?
    Jim Callis: I think he has fallen a little bit, though I still think he’d go in the top 5-10 picks if the draft were today. The weather up here–I live outside of Chicago–has been bitterly cold for most of the year, but I think the inconsistency of his secondary pitches and his command. His numbers aren’t bad at all (1.14 ERA, 46-13 K-BB in 39 IP) but he hasn’t shown scouts everything they’ve hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Manaea has a lot of question marks around him and missing starts with an injury can't help. Currently I just can't see him being a top 5 guy until he proves his stuff from the cape cod is really.
    name five better players than him. manaea dominated over 57 innings this summer against the best amateur competition in the country.

i think there is a good chance he's avaiable at four. my gut says 1) gray 2) appel 3) frazier and 4) manaea.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    name five better players than him. manaea dominated over 57 innings this summer against the best amateur competition in the country.

i think there is a good chance he's avaiable at four. my gut says 1) gray 2) appel 3) frazier and 4) manaea.
    I have a pretty strong suspicion that the Twins prefer Meadows to Frazier. I won't give up too much more til I do Draft Board v.3

Senior Member All-Star
    On my personal draft board I have Manaea ranked 8th, in my third tier, and the 4th best pitcher. That is mostly off ceiling and not performance.

Senior Member All-Star
    I have a pretty strong suspicion that the Twins prefer Meadows to Frazier. I won't give up too much more til I do Draft Board v.3
    I'm excited to see your draft board and compare it to mine. Especially because you clearly have Twins inside information that I do not.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    my gut says 1) gray 2) appel 3) frazier and 4) manaea.
    If the draft goes this way and Bryant is there the Twins have to take him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Manaea has done just enough to stay in the 2nd tier of prospects.

Appel has moved to the top by himself although he might not get taken 1st

Gray - is ahead of Manaea
    Meadows - All 3 of the hitters here make a strong case for #2 overall
    Frazier
    Humphries
    Manaea - can he make a case to stay in this tier and not get drafted ahead of the Twins pick?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Today's AskBA has Jim Callis saying that Appel and Gray have separated themselves from the pack.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast