Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Sean Manaea

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Sean Manaea

Manaea is a long, projectable lefty from Indiana State who tore up the Cape Cod League last year to rocket his way up draft boards. Though he's struggled with command - repeating his delivery and keeping his release point consistent - he is expected to go off the board in the first handful of picks.

Perfect Game Draft Profile (subscription required)

In Sean Manaea’s case, the Cape and his performance there has lined him up as the favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick in the June draft.
    Game Log:
    2/15 vs IPFW - 4 IP, 4 H, R, ER, 3 BB, 6 K. (Loss, 0-1) (*Ranked 1B on initial draft board)
    2/22 vs College of Charleston - 6 IP, H, 2 BB, 10 K, WP. 97 pitchers (ND, 0-1) (*Improved stock)
    3/9 vs Mercer - 6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, HBP. 97 pitches/63 strikes. (Win, 1-1)
    3/15 vs Minnesota - 9 IP, 6 H, R, 0 ER, BB, 9 K, HBP. 111 pitches/87 strikes. (Win, 2-1)
    3/22 vs S. Illinois - 7 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 8 K, 2 WP, HBP, Balk. 100/68. (Win, 3-1)
    3/29 vs Missouri St - 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 114/71. (Loss, 3-2)
    4/7 vs Wichita St - 6 IP, 5 H, 9 K, 92/65. (Win, 4-2)
    4/13 vs Creighton - 6.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 8 K, 95/60. (Win, 5-2)

*This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Manaea-themed posts below.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 04-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Links from 2/22 game:

Indiana State Recap

I'd really like to get this guy and would definitely be excited if he became a Twin, but I'd be lying if I said his delivery doesn't scare the bejeezus out of me. Maybe I'm worrying too much but definitely YouTube the guy to see what I'm talking about. Could have some potential arm issues in the future...

On the other hand, if he can stay healthy, Manaea would fit in well with our upcoming crop of talented pitchers. Plus, he's lefthanded, something we are lacking in our system, it seems. A future rotation of Meyer/Manaea/Gibson/May/Worley/Diamond/etc. is fun to think about...

Here's four minutes of video of him pitching in the Cape Cod League.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Parker? Parker?

PARKER?!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Check him tip the pitches with his back leg Look at when the back leg comes up vis-a-vis his shoulder crossing and how high the foot gets, and look at what pitches he is throwing

Interesting.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is great. I really like this and think it will be fun to update.

Also, those near the Metrodome, Indiana State will be playing a series against the Gophers March 15-17... A matchup of Manaea vs Windle could be fun to watch on Friday night.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Problem is--he will have already been selected by the time it's the Twins' turn in the draft.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Problem is--he will have already been selected by the time it's the Twins' turn in the draft.
    We would have said the same thing about Appel at this time last year.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This makes me wish Buxton didn't sign so the Twins would be picking 3 and 5...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This makes me wish Buxton didn't sign so the Twins would be picking 3 and 5...
    Are you serious? Buxton is a top 25 prospect by nearly all accounts. Picking 3 and 5 in what is considered to be a down year would not be better.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Are you serious? Buxton is a top 25 prospect by nearly all accounts. Picking 3 and 5 in what is considered to be a down year would not be better.
    The only reason Buxton is top 25 is because people get all googley eyed over tools. Unless he hits like Babe Ruth, his stock is almost sure to fall as everyone will be enfatuated with the next big thing that comes along...

Buxton is no Bryce Harper. He's Aaron Hicks part 2 with perhaps slightly better tools. Not a bad prospect by any means, but not worth the attention people give him around these parts.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    If Buxton was eligible for this draft, he would be gone before the Twins pick. So the Twins would end up with two guys held in lesser regard than Buxton... I'd take Buxton and 2013 #4 over 2013 #3 and #5, without a doubt.

Other organizations may disagree, but the scout who signed Buxton says he's got almost as many tools (5) as Meadows and Frazier do combined (6), and the Twins would likely take one of those two with that #5 pick. Of course, it's all on projection... and many times, projections are wrong.

In my estimation, Buxton has the highest-ceiling of any Twins prospect. Ever.

(Didn't realize this was the Manaea thread when I posted it... I'm make sure to take my Buxton discussion to another board.)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    In my estimation, Buxton has the highest-ceiling of any Twins prospect. Ever.
    Ever is a big world for an organization with an 112 year history and one that produced several home-grown Hall of Famers
    -----

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Twins. 50 some years. And yes it is.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Twins. 50 some years. And yes it is.
    Ok, the Minnesotans then, and I am leaving the Ps out.
    Arguably, he does not even have the highest ceiling among the current Twins prospects... (unless he cracks 20 HRs a season at some point)
    Comparing him to Killebrew, Carew, Puckett or even Mauer is tough. And as far as ceiling goes, Hrbek's probably was way up there as well.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    you failed to mention Oliva too.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    you failed to mention Oliva too.
    Indeed. Mea Culpa
    I should probably included Knoblauch as well, with whom he shares a lot of similarities, unless he gets his power going.
    -----

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Its all "arguable". He could fall completely on his face, sure.

I'm not sure why you continue to talk about his lack of power. He didn't hit them as a high school senior, I get that. He did finish 2nd in the HR Derby at the UA game, not a game situation but still "power". He also hit 4 HRs in 88 at-bats in the GCL. Sano had 4 in 148 at-bats in the GCL in 2010. (Arcia had 5 in 167 at-bats at 18.) I get that Sano was a year younger, but that's his major tool. You can point to small sample-sizes. To which I would refer you back to the small sample size that you're basing this argument on. Buxton is a legit five-tool prospect. He's also only 19. Let's dream on him a little bit and continue this discussion on the Buxton thread.

In fairness, I didn't put Buxton #1 on my own prospect list because he's so far away from his ceiling. I think he can be a 30/30 guy that plays plus-plus D with a plus-plus arm. That's a ceiling I wouldn't have put on anyone in my lifetime as a Twins fan. Will he be that guy? Who knows...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast