Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Reliever Ryan Pressly leaves an early impression

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Reliever Ryan Pressly leaves an early impression

@OverTheBaggy

Swarzak will not be ready to start the season. Will he? Burnett is no good. Here's your pen: Perkins, Burton, Duensing, Fien, Perez, Wood, Pressley (someone will be replaced by Harden later in the year). Don't ignore the fact that Wood is awesome and is going to kill it this year. Best pen in baseball.

I can't comment on Ryan Pressly's ability going forward. I'm a bit unsure why Burnett, or Swarzak would be golden calfs heading into 2013. Harden and Perez are far from sure bets. If you really like this kid's arm they're should be no reason not to find a spot for him on the 25.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by josecordoba View Post
    I can't comment on Ryan Pressly's ability going forward. I'm a bit unsure why Burnett, or Swarzak would be golden calfs heading into 2013. Harden and Perez are far from sure bets. If you really like this kid's arm they're should be no reason not to find a spot for him on the 25.
    I agree, the potential upside is worth more than what we already know we have in Burnett and Swarzak.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Swarzak is only missing like 2 weeks of spring training, so he won't be eligible for the DL and he is out of options. So are Fien and Wood and some other 'pen guys. Burnett's pretty much a given, I would say. Only reason he might not be is because he has an option remaining.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,218 Times in 728 Posts
    Blog Entries
    > Twins director of scouting Vern Followell

Follow Well? I don't know if I had ever heard of him (a quick TD search didn't turn up a prior mention), but it's a great name for a scout. I had to check that this wasn't an Onion parody article tripping me up.

Pressly works with a three pitch repertoire that is comprised of a mid-90s two-seam fastball, exquisite tilt on his curve and a good changeup

Did this guy add velo?
    Last edited by Jack Torse; 02-22-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: was being too harsh

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Is SlaMa up for this open bullpen spot? I heard he is good?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Josh Roenicke should be in the conversation there as well. Arguably he was Colorado's best 'pen guy last season and was a large outcry in Denver when the Twins picked him up. Casey Fien did OK last season but only in 30some innings of .229 BABIP and lots of them during the expanded roster time; he is about to return to his average self. Tim Wood would have had a hard time making the team if his first name was Kerry or Travis as well. Did ok with the Pirates AAA last season, but Slama has done better consistently. I just think that all the 'pen positions after Perkins, Burton and Duensing (now that Swarzak is hurt - and I don't believe that he will be back that soon; bruised ribs are not an easy thing) are wide open. Throw in De Vries (who was a lights out closer in AA for a while btw), Deduno, Perdomo, etc and the competition for those pen spots will be fun.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 02-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what reason there is to think Tim Wood is going to be any good. I get that the Twins like him, but the Twins also liked Dusty Hughes and Jim Gray and Matt Maloney.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    > Twins director of scouting Vern Followell

Follow Well? I don't know if I had ever heard of him (a quick TD search didn't turn up a prior mention), but it's a great name for a scout. I had to check that this wasn't an Onion parody article tripping me up.
    Yup. I think Vern was hired about the same time as Shurcan Pickum.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Followell is the pro scouting director. Responsible for assessing the Scott Diamonds of the world, as well as that 5th starter they signed

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 277 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Burnett secure?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Swarzak is only missing like 2 weeks of spring training, so he won't be eligible for the DL and he is out of options. So are Fien and Wood and some other 'pen guys. Burnett's pretty much a given, I would say. Only reason he might not be is because he has an option remaining.
    This year, that's a big reason. In my eyes, this much is set:

Perkins
    Burton
    Duensing
    Fien

Leaving three spots for:

Burnett
    Swarzak
    Robertson
    Roenicke
    Pressly
    Wood
    Perez
    Harden

These guys are gone if we don't keep them
    Roenicke
    Wood
    Pressly
    Swarzak

I can see them them trying to make a trade with Pressly. But I can't see them giving up on Roenicke, Wood or Swarzak if they can avoid it. If they keep those three, that means Burnett, Robertson, Perez and Harden go down. If they want to keep any of those guys, Swarzak has to pass through waivers. Even if they risk that, I can see Gardy wanting two situational lefties. The more I think of it, the more I think they option Burnett out to start the season.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I don't know what reason there is to think Tim Wood is going to be any good. I get that the Twins like him, but the Twins also liked Dusty Hughes and Jim Gray and Matt Maloney.
    Wood was the best reliever in the IL the last two years. I don't think he compares to Hughes or Gray. I could be wrong, but early reports say he is highly regarded because he throws VERY HARD.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Wood was the best reliever in the IL the last two years..
    Better than Slama? (other than the injury part)
    Methinks not.

Slama:

2012: 1.24 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 13.9 K/9, 3.11 K/BB
    2011: 1.28 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 13.6 K/9, 2.63 K/BB

Wood:

2012: 2.19 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 8.6 K/9, 2.91 K/BB
    2011: 3.49 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 6.2 K/9, 2.27 K/BB

(and these include Slama's injury)
    Last edited by Thrylos; 02-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Better than Slama? (other than the injury part)
    Methinks not.

Slama:

2012: 1.24 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 13.9 K/9, 3.11 K/BB
    2011: 1.28 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 13.6 K/9, 2.63 K/BB

Wood:

2012: 2.19 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 8.6 K/9, 2.91 K/BB
    2011: 3.49 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 6.2 K/9, 2.27 K/BB

(and these include Slama's injury)
    I was just going off of the annual IL awards, including top reliever, which he has received two years in a row. I think the coaches vote on this. Slama has better numbers, I will grant you. But for whatever reason, the coaches have preferred Wood. And that is reflected in their respective contracts. Slama was available to the highest bidder as a sixth-year guy and had to sign a minor league deal with the Twins for the minor league minimum. Wood signed a one-way major league contract for more than the major league minimum. If they try to pass him through waivers, he'll get claimed.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Leaving three spots for:

Burnett
    Swarzak
    Robertson
    Roenicke
    Pressly
    Wood
    Perez
    Harden

These guys are gone if we don't keep them
    Roenicke
    Wood
    Pressly
    Swarzak
    Give me 2 of Swarzak, Pressley, and Harden (all pending ST performance). Then add Robertson as long as he doesn't lay an egg. What I'd most like to see:
    RHP Pressley
    RHP Harden
    RHP Fien
    RHP Burton
    LHP Duensing
    LHP Robertson
    LHP Perkins

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wood was the best reliever in the IL the last two years. I don't think he compares to Hughes or Gray. I could be wrong, but early reports say he is highly regarded because he throws VERY HARD.
    Well, he was (arguably) the best reliever in the IL who didn't get an extended big-league promotion at any point, so that's a pretty significant caveat. He was also 28 and 29 years old. He may throw hard, but it hasn't resulted in especially great K-rates. Gray and Hoey threw hard too...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Well, he was (arguably) the best reliever in the IL who didn't get an extended big-league promotion at any point, so that's a pretty significant caveat. He was also 28 and 29 years old. He may throw hard, but it hasn't resulted in especially great K-rates. Gray and Hoey threw hard too...
    Good points. According to Gardy, he is glacial to home plate (1.8 seconds). So he's got some work to do.

If Pressley impresses this spring, and they can't make a trade with the Red Sox, then the Twins would have to come up with a pretty good reason not to keep him on the roster. This team needs a miracle to make the playoffs, so they can afford to use a spot on the 25-man roster to stash away a rule 5 pick. Swarzak would probably clear waivers, and even if he doesn't, so what. Hopefully the Twins have seen enough to convince them there isn't much upside with him. Burnett is close to that point as well. Is Burnett better than the other options available to the Twins? I don't think so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast