Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Training Stats - Absolutely Meaningless - Ask Luke Hughes and Matt Maloney

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I just want to put a plug in for thrylos98. He's advertised that he'll be tracking all the spring stats.
    Uh-oh, hope he gets some different "reliable sources" for those stats.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I just want to put a plug in for thrylos98. He's advertised that he'll be tracking all the spring stats.
    There is sure to be a lot of interest in his thread and hard work. Certainly much more than this debate. There are a lot of young Twins to follow with Thrylos' help. I had originally commented on my skepticism on his post (now edited). I think that was a mistake. This can be the thread to question whether the Twins management should factor in spring stats as part of their decision making process. There is no need to carry on the same argument in multiple threads.

Games start tomorrow. Win Twins!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Uh-oh, hope he gets some different "reliable sources" for those stats.
    Now who's being a **** and not adding to the conversation?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe I will look at the stats.
    I understand that they are a small sample size. That being said, terms like 'useless' and 'meaningless' I believe to be over the top.
    The scouts and coaches will be looking for far more than I can see. They will know things about a player I cannot glean from the stats. But a hitter who has 2 hits in 30 at bats with 20 strikeouts needs more work before joining the team heading north.

I will promise, my brothers, not to quote them endlessly.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I believe I will look at the stats.
    I understand that they are a small sample size. That being said, terms like 'useless' and 'meaningless' I believe to be over the top.
    The scouts and coaches will be looking for far more than I can see. They will know things about a player I cannot glean from the stats. But a hitter who has 2 hits in 30 at bats with 20 strikeouts needs more work before joining the team heading north.

I will promise, my brothers, not to quote them endlessly.
    I share you view on this, my brother. It has been a long, bleak winter, baseball-wise, and I desperately need to start seeing some box scores.

Intellectually, I agree that spring training stats may not mean much, BUT I am very much looking forward to the first box score of the year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12