Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miller: Gardy wants more pop off the bench....

What's that? They should have re signed Delmon Young to pinch hit for Morneau?

i know i bashed gardy in the other thread, but this is good to here. i am very glad he wants "pop" off the bench, which is a nice change of pace from the "POOP" that has been on our bench the last few years!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatMearesFan View Post
    i know i bashed gardy in the other thread, but this is good to here. i am very glad he wants "pop" off the bench, which is a nice change of pace from the "POOP" that has been on our bench the last few years!!!!!
    A poop joke?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    What's wrong with poop jokes?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I don't know if any of these guys look especially productive, but Carlos Lee, Derrek Lee and.....Jim Thome are all still unsigned.
    I think that the Twins should fill the bench spot from the inside. Absolutely no reason to bring anyone that old (other than selling tickets if that is Thome) where they are. Colabello/Ramirez/Romero probably have more pop than Thome and the Lees at this point. Give them a chance.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Is Vladamir Guerro alive and well? To add pop from within, there was no AAA bats worth mentioning so why would you want another inferior bat, AA player, bat only? Colabello maybe.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,196 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    lol... What happened to the "Like" button... I don't want to post anything... I just want to like this comment!
    +1, brother.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,196 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I honestly misread the headline to this article, in exactly that way.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    A bench bat does make sense if you are going to have Florimon start at SS. I would not assume that gardy will part with Butera.While I like the idea of the minor league guys getting a chance, pinch hitting is a skill that takes time to develop. I doubt that our minor league players could adjust to the majors and pinch hitting. I read that Scott Rolen would like to play again but that Cincy was not interested. Wonder what he thinks of the Twins. If Plouffe struggles Rolen could spell him at 3B.
    Last edited by Otwins; 02-21-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    II would be delighted with more pop off the bench.
    Wonder where that will come from...
    Arcia?
    I can pretty much guarantee that Oswaldo Arcia will not be the bench bat. He needs to play!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris Colabello would be my choice for sure. limited in his fielding options. But I would love to see him get a shot.

Jeff Clement should be thrilled to hear Gardy say that. PH-1B-Emergency Catcher with Long Ball Power.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    I believe, I believe, I believe....

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    They're pretty ****ty.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    They're pretty ****ty.
    Well that stinks.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I believe it's when Morneau was shelved for a couple weeks at the beginning of May that brought that along...
    Yes, that's WHEN Butera came up, but it doesn't solve the riddle of why (or more importantly why he stayed from then on). Morneau returned, and Butera stayed. Not to mention, there isn't even a direct link since they don't play the same position (the obvious indirect link is the primary catcher also plays 1B). At any rate, this question got stuck in my craw, so I decided to look at box scores to see if I could shed some light on what underlying difference in the lineup made it OK to start the season with no Butera, but made him stay once he got there. Bear with me...

The first fairly interesting observation I made, was that Doumit never DH'd in the first 20 games of the season. And Mauer only did four times. Morneau was DH'ing essentially every day.

Parmelee made the team out of Spring Training as the starting 1B. He started there 18 of the first 28 games. The general situation was Parmelee at 1B, Morneau DH'ing, Mauer catching. Doumit got an occasional start in RF, and otherwise would Catch while Mauer played 1B. After Game 22, Morneau went out for a couple of weeks. It seems like Mauer may have been banged up, but not fully injured as he caught Game 21, had 22 off, and then DH'd four games in a row.

Butera debuted in Game 25. From Game 29 to 36, Parmelee only got three starts at 1B, and with Morneau out that meant Mauer was playing half 1B and half C, while BUTERA caught the other half the time and Doumit DH'd. In Game 37, Doumit caught and tweaked his calf, remember? So he only DH'd from then until Game 49. Game 37 was also Morneau's return, but now he had been made the 1B instead of the DH (they were heading to interleague play AND Parmelee was sent down because he started out pretty awful).

What's this all mean? Well, as near as I can tell, the difference between pre-Butera, and when Morneau got back is that Morneau moved back to 1B making Doumit the frequent DH. When Doumit wasn't DH'ing after this point, it was often Mauer. It seems like MAYBE "they" felt OK with just two catchers when they had someone else DH'ing most of the time, but when the DH role was filled primarily by one of the two catchers, "they" felt there should be a third on the roster. To me, all this means it's likely there will be a third catcher if Doumit is the presumed first option at DH.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Yes, that's WHEN Butera came up, but it doesn't solve the riddle of why (or more importantly why he stayed from then on). Morneau returned, and Butera stayed. Not to mention, there isn't even a direct link since they don't play the same position (the obvious indirect link is the primary catcher also plays 1B).
    I believe it has everything to do with the indirect link...Gardy wanted Butera on the team the whole time, Ryan worded his statements well during ST when he'd say things like that's going to be Gardy's call; however, it seemed he was roundaboutly saying, yeah, not such a good idea. So when Morny needed those 15 or so days off, bam....that's what Gardy needed. Funny thing is though, Mauer didn't even play much 1B when Morny was out during that time, but still...

Just my opinion

Here's Gardy's reasoning: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_min&c_id=min

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe it has everything to do with the indirect link...Gardy wanted Butera on the team the whole time, Ryan worded his statements well during ST when he'd say things like that's going to be Gardy's call; however, it seemed he was roundaboutly saying, yeah, not such a good idea. So when Morny needed those 15 or so days off, bam....that's what Gardy needed. Funny thing is though, Mauer didn't even play much 1B when Morny was out during that time, but still...

Just my opinion

Did Gardy get Mauer to go along with pretending the foul tip hit his knee and then keep him from catching for a week while Mauer went paitiently along with it? Who doctored the footage to make it look the ball hit just above the shin guard? Just wondering how deep this conspiracy theory goes. (That was meant to be funny before you, or anyone else, gets all upset about it.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just my opinion

As a more serious reply, I don't think it's that funny, nor that true, that Mauer didn't play much 1B with Morneau out. He'd played there 4 of 22 games before Morneau's injury, and 5 of 14 after. Both before and after, Parmelee was the "every day" 1B (until Morneau returned). The position vacated by Morneau was more DH, and that was filled by Mauer initially and then Doumit. When Morneau returned, he came back to 1B instead of DH.
    Last edited by CDog; 02-25-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Counting is hard.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If by "Pop" they mean some old guy , then Gardy is likely to get what he wants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast