Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Tuesday's outfield

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts

Tuesday's outfield

According to a Phil Miller tweet, tomorrow's lineup should have Mastroianni, Hicks, and Benson all starting in the outfield. Also the return of Plouffe.

Pelfrey is the lucky starting pitcher.

Should be a good listen.

That outfield would be fun to watch if many fly balls are hit. Which one of those three guys is going to hit his way on to the opening day roster?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cool.

Sounds like Mastro made a shoestring grab today. 6th inning or so.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    I said pre-season I thought this group might see a lot of time together in the starting outfield if they all make the roster. Might be nice to see with Parmalee getting more DH at-bats and Doumit going to more of a reserve role.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsMusings View Post
    That outfield would be fun to watch if many fly balls are hit. Which one of those three guys is going to hit his way on to the opening day roster?
    I really hope Benson can put it together. He has all the tools, he just hasn't been able to produce at a high level. If either he or Hicks can take over the starting role at center this team won't miss Span and Revere much.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I said pre-season I thought this group might see a lot of time together in the starting outfield if they all make the roster. Might be nice to see with Parmalee getting more DH at-bats and Doumit going to more of a reserve role.
    I know if I was pitching I'd feel a lot better, but what are the odds, though, that all 3, + Parmelee, will make it on the roster?

Doumit was just extended for an additional $7M (48 games as DH). Would the Twins be satisfied with him playing in 60 games solely as a catcher, as he did in Pittsburgh in 2011 and PHing? Morneau is certainly going to play every day at 1B or DH (34 games @ DH). Counting Mauer in the mix for 30-40 games (he DHd in 42 games in 2012) and Willingham (25 DH games in 2012), that would be 5 guys looking to log in DH time, a Cola/Thome bench addition scenario that is current being bandied about would make 6 DHs, including Parmelee.

I would think that Doumit, Morneau and Willingham still have to be on schedule to play a lot in 2013 (130+ games on prorated 162 game schedule), just to maintain their potential trade value.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-25-2013 at 07:54 PM.