Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Zulgad: Departure of friend gives Mastroianni a golden opportunity

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,937
    Like
    46
    Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Zulgad: Departure of friend gives Mastroianni a golden opportunity

    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Z...rtunity_022013

    When Ben Revere was traded, Darin Mastroianni had mixed emotions. He and Revere were very close friends, but he now has an opportunity to be the Twins starting CF.

    Very good story!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Very few doors get opened for players like Mastro... This may be his only door. You gotta pull for a guy in a situation like this... don't you? How do you not grip the bat tighter?

    His baseball future gets carved in the next few months. We often lose sight of these individual dramas. It means everything to a player.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 02-20-2013 at 06:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    16
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Many players like Mastroianni never get a chance to become a starter. If everything falls into place for him maybe he approaches a Lew Ford-type season. I doubt that happens, but I can't say I would complain if it does and he delays Hicks. At worst, he provides a solid option as a 4th outfielder who can play all three positions.

  4. #4
    If things don't go well for our 2B options and Mastro shows something while warming the spot for Hicks, why not give him a shot there?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    If things don't go well for our 2B options and Mastro shows something while warming the spot for Hicks, why not give him a shot there?
    We asked that question last year when we were begging for decent 2B play.

    Someone presented an article that quoted Gardy as saying that Mastro takes infield a lot but isn't very good at it.

    I think Gardy's quote was something along the lines of... "Might as well put him the outfield because if he played 2nd base... The ball was going to end up in the outfield anyway".

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,173
    Like
    19
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    We asked that question last year when we were begging for decent 2B play.

    Someone presented an article that quoted Gardy as saying that Mastro takes infield a lot but isn't very good at it.

    I think Gardy's quote was something along the lines of... "Might as well put him the outfield because if he played 2nd base... The ball was going to end up in the outfield anyway".
    If we're going that route, I vote to bring back Jim Thome to play 2B.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    758
    Like
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Nice story. He will be here at the most thru next year unless he is better than everyone thinks.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If we're going that route, I vote to bring back Jim Thome to play 2B.
    C'mon now... That's the silliest thing I've ever read... Thome is a 40 plus DH who can play an occasional 1B if needed.

    It should be Doumit at 2B... Thome at DH... C'mon... You know better!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.