Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mayo Watched Salcedo, Sano

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mayo Watched Salcedo, Sano

MLB.com's excellent writer Jonathan Mayo was able to watch some of the young Twins prospects play in a game this afternoon. He saw Adrian Salcedo pitch, and two of Miguel Sano's at bats. Check out his story to see why he wrote the following:

Maybe just take it as a reminder that he probably has a long way to go. Or, as that Twins exec mentioned above, said, “It will take time.”

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Swing for the fences... I like it (even if it will take a few years for him to make it to the big leagues)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 PAs and 2-3 IP. Extremely small sample sizes to make conclusions.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No conclusions were made in the article.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano definitely takes a big cut, but with his body type, I don't think he should be doing anything else. Danny Ortiz absolutely blasted a ball beyond the second fence in one game we were watching on Wednesday, then on our way out, we took the shortcut through the parking lot back there to see if the ball was still around and there it was.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Sano definitely takes a big cut, but with his body type, I don't think he should be doing anything else. Danny Ortiz absolutely blasted a ball beyond the second fence in one game we were watching on Wednesday, then on our way out, we took the shortcut through the parking lot back there to see if the ball was still around and there it was.
    Quick question about that, just out of curiocity: Was it an official MiLB ball, an official MLB ball or none of the above?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I enjoyed my brief Sano experience - he hit a triple off the end of his bat (right past the firstbaseman) and almost fell down. He certainly doesn't get cheated on his swing.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    It was an official MiLB ball
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone seen Rosario take a cutt recently?

I think at times, his swing speed is crazy fast, like he's literally swinging out of his shoes.... I would bet money he swings harder/faster than Sano does. (i don't care for the crazy hard swings, hacks)

sweet, always love getting reports like this.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    I watched 5 or 6 Rosario at-bats while down at spring training. He does have a fast bat, but he didn't connect on anything all that well while I was watching. He's also built much more like Ben Revere than an Aaron Hicks, so the views that the HR power he showed at Elizabethton won't translate are probably correct, but there's still plenty of pop in there.

For your viewing pleasure, here's some video of a few Rosario at-bats (That's Justin Morneau on deck in case you were wondering): http://www.twitpic.com/95y5y3

He gets some better wood on the ball in this one: http://www.twitpic.com/95y8nh