Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sansevere: Memo To Twins...hope isn't a strategy

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,429
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    240

    Sansevere: Memo To Twins...hope isn't a strategy

    Pi Press columnist Bob Sansevere takes issue with the Twins decision to target pitchers coming off of injuries:

    While other teams spend money to sign players who are both healthy and talented, the Twins expend hope on pitchers in various stages of recovery from injuries.


    It's a lot cheaper that way.
    I guess I'd be OK with signing injured pitchers if there were some upside, but in most cases there really isn't.

    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...-isnt-strategy

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Posts
    575
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Like
    64
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    154
    Did he issue this on the official memo stationary? If not, I'm not sure it can be properly processed.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Posts
    575
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Like
    64
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    154
    But for real, there are several issues with this article. First, Worley was not signed, the Twins traded for him. Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past. Therefore his "several pitchers with injury-pocked pasts" is a list of one - Joel Zumaya. Zumaya was worth taking a risk on, if you ask me. He makes no mention of the Correia signing, who while unpopular, is certainly not an injury risk any more than any other pitcher.

    Ripping the Twins' strategy related to pitching is reasonable, but these arguments are pretty shallow and ill-fitting. The last line was cute though.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Nice article.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past.'

    Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    'Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past.'

    Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?
    Don't forget that Correia's innings total was also skewed by his demotion from the juggernaut Pirates' staff.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Posts
    575
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Like
    64
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    'Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past.'

    Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?
    Injuries. However, the injury in 2011 was a contact injury, I think he got hit with a batted ball or something. It's not like he was coming off TJ. He was just bad. If Sansevere wanted to complain about the Twins signing bad pitchers, it would have been a more valid argument.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,533
    Like
    61
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    'Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past.'

    Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?
    Off the top of my head, constantly getting pulled before pitching 5 innings might do it. However, be it the injury or ineffectivenss arguement, they are both fitting and relevant to the Twins normal offseason stratagies.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Injuries. However, the injury in 2011 was a contact injury, I think he got hit with a batted ball or something. It's not like he was coming off TJ. He was just bad. If Sansevere wanted to complain about the Twins signing bad pitchers, it would have been a more valid argument.
    Whew, at least it wasn't TJS. It would have been a waste of money to guarantee several million to a guy coming off of TJS. Thank goodness the Twins are wise enough not to do that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Off the top of my head, constantly getting pulled before pitching 5 innings might do it. However, be it the injury or ineffectivenss arguement, they are both fitting and relevant to the Twins normal offseason stratagies.
    can't explain away only 59 IP :-)

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Don't forget that Correia's innings total was also skewed by his demotion from the juggernaut Pirates' staff.
    The 137 one was...not the 59 innings one :-)

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Whew, at least it wasn't TJS. It would have been a waste of money to guarantee several million to a guy coming off of TJS. Thank goodness the Twins are wise enough not to do that.
    I see what you did there :-)

  13. #13
    If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.
    as it pertains to 2013?

  15. #15
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,676
    Like
    156
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.
    You're right, most of the country doesn't even see that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.