Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you not seeing comments in the front page articles?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you not seeing comments in the front page articles?

There has been an intermittent problem with comments not generating properly on the article pages. Several of you have complained about this and after speaking to the developers about it, I cannot get the issue to replicate this morning.

Are you still having these issues? If you are, let me know your operating system, your browser, and which article is not showing the entire list of comments. Thanks. Trying to get this resolved but since it's only under certain environments and circumstances, it's hard to track down.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I was having this issue yesterday, but it seems to be ok this morning.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Is anyone else having this problem? Dan let me know that it has reappeared but I can't get it to replicate at all from my end. Tested multiple browsers on two machines. Damn it.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, just one comment on, I believe, all articles. Have to go to the forum and then it is fine, so it must be a problem in loading them from the front page. Anyway: Windows Vista. Google Chrome.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Yes, I noticed the problem this morning in both the "hot Stove" and "Trade Window" articles. The front page said they had 8 and 7 comments respectively but when I read the articles only 1 comment was visible. I had to go to the forum to read the remaining comments.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    trade window article

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    When I 1st read the article about trading morneau I was able to view all the comments. Now, however, I can only view one comment even though it said there were 41. I'm using the google chrome browser, a mac osx.

Windows XP, Google Chrome, happening on all articles I try to look at the comments on.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have much to add, except my particular configuration. From the middle of the main TD page I click on the Hot Stove article and get taken to
    Twins Daily - Twins Should Strike While Stove is Hot

Despite the main page saying I would see 34 comments (at the moment), the new page that is opened up shows in the summary at top that there is only 1 comment:

Twins Should Strike While Stove is Hot

by Nick Nelson

Published on 12-13-2012 11:04 PM
    1 Comment

I am running on Windows 7 SP 1 (v1.07.00.AE B08). The same result occurs whether I use Firefox 10.0.11, Internet Explorer 64-bit 8.0.7601.17514, or the non-64-bit IE of the same version number.

I have tried flushing the cache. Since I rarely use IE, I would not expect cache to be an issue anyway.

HTH, as they say.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm only seeing 1 comment on the first couple articles that say there are many. Win7, FireFox 17.0.

Edit: The Gardy article says 85 comments on the front page, but when I open it there are 73. A little different than the others only showing 1 comment.
    Last edited by JS; 12-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, everybody. I've re-opened the ticket and hopefully this time, we'll find a real solution for the problem.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick's "Hot Stove" article seems to work correctly for me now. Did you implement a fix, or is this just another manifestation of the "now you see it, now you don't" nature of the bug?

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    all articles...... window xp, firefox and chrome. only one comment shows up on all articles accessed from the intros on the front page, from all the links. the links from the side bar all work and comments show up. comments show up if accessed from the forum page. only front page article links have a problem. it has worked a few times in the last week.... but then goes back to failing. a couple days, a couple of the articles worked, but other didn't. weird. sorry i can't be more specific, but i don't take notes on these things. good luck.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I too am seeing this problem. Mac OS X Chrome, also have seen it in Windows 7 Firefox.

Today the "Health Permitting, Pelfrey Could Deliver" article shows 22 comments on the front page, but when I click the article, it says 2 comments, but it actually displays 4 comments.

Last week it was displaying only one comment on the article page, but the front page was advertising ~100+ comments (and all the comments would show up if I visited the forum).
    Last edited by spycake; 12-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Wasnt as of last nite....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's what I am seeing right now:

Front page (says 23 comments):
    front_page.jpg

Top of article page (says 2 comments):
    article.jpg

Bottom of article page (says and displays 4 comments):
    article_comments.jpg

Forum shows all 23 comments correctly.

I remember coming to the site in the wake of the Revere trade I think, and seeing 100+ comments on the front page articles, clicking them, and then only seeing one lonely comment underneath the article. I gave up on pursuing any discussion at that point. It's probably something worth fixing!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting the exact same thing as spycake. I have using IE on windows 7

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it really adds any info to the situation, I only see a limited amount of comments from the main articles, whereas the links from the sidebar or directly from the forum show all of them. I also notice the few comments seen from the main articles don't have some of the extra info about the user who posted (like rank, number of posts, etc...)

Windows 8 using Opera 12, at least most of the time.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    We're definitely working on fixing it, folks... It's just taking longer than expected.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 451 Times in 220 Posts
    Burn the front page! Join the forumists!
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast