Thread: Twins and Glen Perkins agree to a contact

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins and Glen Perkins agree to a contact

According to Jon Heyman, the Twins and Glen Perkins have reached an arbitration settlement of $1.55 million.

glen perkins gets $1.55M. #twins

Perkins was easily the Twins best reliever, working 61.2 innings while striking out 65 and walking 21. He held a 2.48 ERA while holding opponents to a .238 average. By Fangraphs.com's WAR standard, Perkins's 1.7 WAR was the 11th best among all relievers in baseball in 2011.

His $1.55 million salary was slightly below the one projected in the TwinsCentric Offseason GM Handbook of $1.8 million - a decent savings for the team given his performance.

Blog Entries

Twins and Francisco Liriano agree on a 1 year, $5.5 million deal

According to ESPN's Enrique Rojas, the Twins and Francisco Liriano have agreed to a one-year, $5.5 million deal:

#Twins and Francisco Liriano avoid arbitration signing 1 year contract for $5,5 million
    After a very good 2010 season, Liriano followed that up with a 2011 campaign in which he struggled to throw his fastball for a strike, work ahead of opponents and battled through various arm injuries. He will be a free agent after this season.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We probably haven't talked about this enough, but how good does the decision to NOT offer him a long-term deal last offseason look now?

Liked 205 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I said that on my podcast last night. I was good with offering him four years and $40 million a year ago. Sometimes the best transactions a GM can make are the ones he doesn't make!!

Blog Entries
    I took a lot of flak in February for siding with the Twins on their decision to just go the one year with Liriano but his mechanics and reliance on the slider are a recipe for injuries. The real question will be what will the Twins do if Liriano has a 2010-type of season in 2012? Do you give him the multi-year contract or let him walk because of his injury potential?

Liked 205 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are the winner!

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FYI - I merged the thread abour Liriano & Perkins signing contract, ostensibly because they're both arbitration settlement, but mostly just to see what happens. :-)

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    We probably haven't talked about this enough, but how good does the decision to NOT offer him a long-term deal last offseason look now?
    I honestly don't think it'd be all that bad. They have no starters locked in past this year outside of Blackburn, and no one was suggesting giving Liriano huge money.