Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bollinger: Gardy's Spring Training Speech

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,443
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241

    Bollinger: Gardy's Spring Training Speech

    Rhett Bollinger reports had a full squad meeting and stressed that the Twins should turn the page on the last two seasons.

    "It was basically, welcome here and expectations," Gardenhire said. "What you can and can't control, that type of stuff, and how we expect everybody to handle themselves. Look at my eyes, right underneath here, that used to be flat as a pancake."
    I wonder how long managers plan that. I bet it's on their mind quite a bit during the offseason.

    I also wonder what mine would be, especially if I was in Gardy's shoes. Off the top of my head, I'll go with something like:

    "You each have a chance to be part of the next winning Twins team. Maybe it'll be this year. Maybe it won't. But your actions and focus, on and off the field, are going to determine your future, one way or the other."

    Gardy addresses team as full-squad work starts | twinsbaseball.com: News

  2. #2
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,636
    Like
    927
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Rhett Bollinger reports had a full squad meeting and stressed that the Twins should turn the page on the last two seasons.



    I wonder how long managers plan that. I bet it's on their mind quite a bit during the offseason.

    I also wonder what mine would be, especially if I was in Gardy's shoes. Off the top of my head, I'll go with something like:

    "You each have a chance to be part of the next winning Twins team. Maybe it'll be this year. Maybe it won't. But your actions and focus, on and off the field, are going to determine your future, one way or the other."

    Gardy addresses team as full-squad work starts | twinsbaseball.com: News
    But your actions and focus, on and off the field, are going to determine my future, one way or the other."

    Fixed it.

  3. #3
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,767
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Alright Team... Let's get something straight... There are people on Twins Daily who think that 2013 is a waste of time... The Press... the Fans... There are people who think that we are playing for 2014... What do you think? Do you think the organization is concerned about 2014 as we walk into spring training 2013. (Team shouts out NO WAY)...

    Let's make it clear... Yes we are... We are getting ready for 2014... We are playing for 2014... Everyone of you should be playing for 2014.

    You need to go out and compete and show us that you will be part of 2014. Show us that you are the type of player with a future and a player who will help us turn this ship around.

    If you don't... You won't be around in 2014... So yeah... We are all playing for 2014. Everyone of you... Except you Joe... You do what you want... For everyone else... You are going to prove that you are a MLB baseball player who can help us win... Everyone of you...

    If this team goes out and plays for 2014... 2013 is going to take care of itself and the wins will come because you showed us on the field that you are ready for 2014... and no one will say we are playing for 2014 anymore... . Even though that's exactly what we did.

    It all begins right now!!!

  4. #4
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Ok team , it is a long season and we are running a marathon not a sprint, and this will be 2 seasons in part
    part 1 we need for our veterans to get off to a great start , if you struggle , we will trade you to non playoff teams , but if your having MVP type season we will trade you to contenders, Part 2 for the rookies , go out there and try not to hurt your selfs and later in the season we will see where you stand in our future....And Joe, would you concider restructuring your contract so we can pocket bigger payroll slashing bonuses?

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,787
    Like
    234
    Liked 482 Times in 234 Posts
    Drew calls me coach, the same as everyone else, which he'll be doing as our new starting quarterback!
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    621
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Ok team , it is a long season and we are running a marathon not a sprint
    To a Kenyan a marathon is a sprint.

  7. #7
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,077
    Like
    4,524
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Alright Team... Let's get something straight... There are people on Twins Daily who think that 2013 is a waste of time... The Press... the Fans... There are people who think that we are playing for 2014... What do you think? Do you think the organization is concerned about 2014 as we walk into spring training 2013. (Team shouts out NO WAY)...

    Let's make it clear... Yes we are... We are getting ready for 2014... We are playing for 2014... Everyone of you should be playing for 2014.

    You need to go out and compete and show us that you will be part of 2014. Show us that you are the type of player with a future and a player who will help us turn this ship around.

    If you don't... You won't be around in 2014... So yeah... We are all playing for 2014. Everyone of you... Except you Joe... You do what you want... For everyone else... You are going to prove that you are a MLB baseball player who can help us win... Everyone of you...

    If this team goes out and plays for 2014... 2013 is going to take care of itself and the wins will come because you showed us on the field that you are ready for 2014... and no one will say we are playing for 2014 anymore... . Even though that's exactly what we did.

    It all begins right now!!!
    Good speech my friend -- you are a natural!

  8. #8
    Banned Rookie
    Posts
    7
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Get out there and battle your tails off!

  9. #9
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,681
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    322
    Over??? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Over??? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!
    "Forget it - he's on a roll."


    P.S. Does this date both of us?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    995
    Like
    195
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Gardy (rubbing hand across quickly balding head): "I'm all out of clever things to say, so I turn it over to your Lord and Savior, Baby Jesus!"

    Mauer: (staring at floor and in a barely audible and mundane mumble): "Pour it on."

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    995
    Like
    195
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    "Forget it - he's on a roll."


    P.S. Does this date both of us?
    Per Trollpo when you're on a roll it's really just flat bread.

  13. #13
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,839
    Like
    177
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Per Trollpo when you're on a roll it's really just flat bread.
    Damn I miss him.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Triple-A luke829's Avatar
    Posts
    318
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wonder if this will carry over into the season, and then after each speech they can go to the opposing dugout and moon the visiting team ala "Braveheart"
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Alright Team... Let's get something straight... There are people on Twins Daily who think that 2013 is a waste of time... The Press... the Fans... There are people who think that we are playing for 2014... What do you think? Do you think the organization is concerned about 2014 as we walk into spring training 2013. (Team shouts out NO WAY)...

    Let's make it clear... Yes we are... We are getting ready for 2014... We are playing for 2014... Everyone of you should be playing for 2014.

    You need to go out and compete and show us that you will be part of 2014. Show us that you are the type of player with a future and a player who will help us turn this ship around.

    If you don't... You won't be around in 2014... So yeah... We are all playing for 2014. Everyone of you... Except you Joe... You do what you want... For everyone else... You are going to prove that you are a MLB baseball player who can help us win... Everyone of you...

    If this team goes out and plays for 2014... 2013 is going to take care of itself and the wins will come because you showed us on the field that you are ready for 2014... and no one will say we are playing for 2014 anymore... . Even though that's exactly what we did.

    It all begins right now!!!
    gollumface.jpg
    The ellipses!!! It burnses us!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.