Thread: Neal: SS Levi Michael might start at Fort Myers

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Neal: SS Levi Michael might start at Fort Myers

Color me a bit disappointed to read this. I was anxious to take a road trip to Beloit, WI to see an infield of Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario and Levi Michael. Now, according to the Star Tribune's LaVelle E Neal, the Twins are thinking about moving Michael up a level:

At first, the Twins planned to start Michael at Class A Beloit with Sano and Rosario (how far is Cedar Rapids from the Twin Cities? I smell a road trip when the Snappers visit.). Heard earlier this week that there's now a chance that Michael will start the season at High-A Fort Myers, with fifth round pick Tyler Grimes starting at Beloit.
    A friend of mine who is a scout in the Padres system had the Carolinas are his territory and had watched Michael at UNC for 30 or so games. When the Twins drafted him, he messaged me calling Minnesota's selection "very legit." Michael, of course, spent most of his last season in college playing hurt and did not play in any organized games for the Twins last year, which may have diminished how prospectors viewed him. With Fort Myers as his starting point, it looks like the organization will challenge him to progress.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I read that. Also was mentioned in the same place that Danny Santana might be the starting 2B at Fort Myers.

I have to go back to remember when it was the last time the Twins had a position player start his pro career at Fort Myers, but there have not been many
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was surprised to hear that they were thinking of starting him in Beloit, rather than Ft. Myers. Ft. Myers makes more sense. I really like Santana's range and arm... He could be a good SS too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Santana probably made too many errors for the Twins liking.

If Levi Michael starts in Hi-A, that gets me pretty pumped. Expectations are elevated, apparently.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins may not be sure if they want Michael to be at SS or 2b. Fort Myers likely allows them to have him play both. Rosario will be holding down 2b in Beloit. That would be my theory...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    So Bryant and Grimes will probably rotate in as well, playing SS?

What about TwinsDaily contributor Petterssen(sp)?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    The Twins may not be sure if they want Michael to be at SS or 2b. Fort Myers likely allows them to have him play both. Rosario will be holding down 2b in Beloit. That would be my theory...
    there comes some funny math (and it happens in real life front offices too...)

so who is going to be the "Twins SS of the future?"

Brian Dozier?
    Levi Michael?
    Niko Goodrum?

(and if you cop out and say that 'hey maybe one of those can be a second baseman')
    you'd need to add

Eddie Rosario
    (and yes) Danny Santana into the equation...

Not that simple
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I am thrilled anytime they move guys fast.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    there comes some funny math (and it happens in real life front offices too...)

so who is going to be the "Twins SS of the future?"

Brian Dozier?
    Levi Michael?
    Niko Goodrum?

(and if you cop out and say that 'hey maybe one of those can be a second baseman')
    you'd need to add

Eddie Rosario
    (and yes) Danny Santana into the equation...

Not that simple
    The same could be said for 3rd base with Harrison and Sano. Also what if Valencia puts up really good numbers over the next few years? All the Twins can do is roll with what they got. Most likely not all these prospects will pan out. You make the necessary adjustments such as trades or position changes if a guy is ready to be called up but is blocked by another.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is definitely a lot of middle infield bodies vying for A-ball playing time. A lot of names have been referenced above, but that's not including other guys like Nick Lockwood and J.D. Williams. Daniel Santana played a lot in CF after Grimes and Bryant showed up in June. When I saw him play, he look (understandably) uncomfortable out there.

My best guess (from last fall anyway):
    Fort Myers: Tyler Grimes (SS), Daniel Santana (MINF/CF), Anderson Hidalgo (3B), Jairo Perez (3B/2B/OF), Reggie Williams (UTIL)
    Beloit: Miguel Sano (3B), Eddie Rosario (2B), Tyler Grimes (SS), Adam Bryant (SS), Nick Lockwood (SS/2B), J.D. Williams (SS/OF), AJ Pettersen (SS)
    EST: Niko Goodrum (INF/OF), Javier Pimentel (SS), Jorge Polanco (SS)

I also wonder if there is a chance that Rosario stays around in Fort Myers in April to continue how to learn the second base fundamentals and keep him out of the cold. I wondered the same about Sano, but he just seems too good. I know Revere and Hicks both started years in EST before coming to Beloit.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tyler Grimes won't disappoint, though. I like his potential. The Fort Myers infield gets a boost here.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To answer the question, I'm guessing Michael is the SS of the future. Dozier will likely be there within the year and will man the position for a couple of years while he is cheap and until Levi is ready (and of course to delay the arb clock). At that point, I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded for a decent prospect at another position of need. He could spend some time at 2nd as well until Rosario is ready, if the org is really high on him.

With Goodrum, he's still pretty raw. If all develop nicely, the Twins will have a nice problem to have and can trade off the worst one to fill a position of need...

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No offense but you really can't get an idea of who will actually play in a Twins uniform until they reach AA. Sano and Rosario prolly have a full year in Beloit, as well as a full year in Ft Myers to go.
    Michael got optioned to Ft Myers via the Miracle's twitter.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Todd Walker got to skip Low A, but that was almost 2 decades ago now. Doug Mientkiewicz also did it. Still, despite getting on the fast track, both were 25 before they nailed down the opening day job with the big league club.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the Twins are notorious for keeping HS draft picks as well as Dominican signees who are young in Beloit for a while

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    ... like Oswaldo Arcia?

Actually, I agree with you that the Twins are really slow at promoting minor leaguers from Beloit, but it does happen when they truly dominate. Let's hope Sano's season falls into that category.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    ... like Oswaldo Arcia?

Actually, I agree with you that the Twins are really slow at promoting minor leaguers from Beloit, but it does happen when they truly dominate. Let's hope Sano's season falls into that category.
    I was thinking around the lines of Hicks/Ramos/Morales
    Arcia played only 20 games in Beloit, he played the first 18 of the year,got hurt, played another 2 and then got promoted.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia played only 20 games in Beloit, he played the first 18 of the year,got hurt, played another 2 and then got promoted.
    Those "another 2" games were in the GCL. Arcia was one example. Generally the Twins want their high school and international players to spend the full year in the Midwest League. They're adjusting to much more than baseball still. There will always be examples of exceptions. Maybe Sano/Rosario could be. I just think they both have enough other stuff to work on (Rosario defense, Sano making contact, defense, etc.)

Michael will start in Ft Myers. He is a mature college player and a #1 pick!