Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Will Mike Pelfrey be ready by opening day?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    When the Twins say Marquis throws strikes, and other factually incorrect things, and the beat guys repeat it like it is true.....are they doing their job? When St. Peter says payroll does not matter, and not one of them follows up and asks why they needed a new stadium, are they doing their job?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    When the Twins say Marquis throws strikes, and other factually incorrect things, and the beat guys repeat it like it is true.....are they doing their job? When St. Peter says payroll does not matter, and not one of them follows up and asks why they needed a new stadium, are they doing their job?
    A good beat writer would report the first quote and then add accurate statistics or additional quotes to provide context without making editorial statements.

I'm pretty sure you made up the second quote. That is the opposite of what St. Peter would assert. Not sure what you want a beat reporter to do with that.

Senior Member MVP
    St. Peter just said it last week.....it is easily findable on 1500 am, for example.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    St. Peter just said it last week.....it is easily findable on 1500 am, for example.
    I listened to it and don't remember it that way. What was the exact quote and question?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When the Twins say Marquis throws strikes, and other factually incorrect things, and the beat guys repeat it like it is true.....are they doing their job?
    It is factually incorrect that Marquis throws strikes? So you're saying he throws nothing but balls? Amazing he's been able to carve out a major-league career like that.

I know you're trying to make a point here but you're going to have to give concrete examples rather than referencing vague situations that aren't really evidence of anything.

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    It is factually incorrect that Marquis throws strikes? So you're saying he throws nothing but balls? Amazing he's been able to carve out a major-league career like that.

I know you're trying to make a point here but you're going to have to give concrete examples rather than referencing vague situations that aren't really evidence of anything.
    Seriously, Nick?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Seriously, Nick?
    Yes? I’d like to see an actual example of this supposedly irresponsible reporting. I remember being frustrated with the Twins’ stated reasoning for the Marquis signing; I don’t remember having a problem with the way those statements were presented by reporters. You can’t shoot the messenger because you don’t like what the source has to say. Again, it is not the job of a beat reporter to analyze and critique these things.

Senior Member MVP
    We are off topic. My original post was that the beat writers in this town report what the twins say as truth, regardless of its truth, so why should I read them. YMMV....read them if you wan. I really have no interest in debating that topic.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The beat writers reported what they saw with their own eyes yesterday. They saw a guy who threw 90 pitches at full speed (mid 90s FB, high 70s change, no sliders). He's throwing 90 pitches every other day. His arm might fall off between now and the end of spring training. A meteor might land on his head before the end of spring. But as it sits right now, he has more strength and stamina of any pitcher in camp. There is no good reason to believe he will not be ready for starting duty on April 1.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123