Thread: Article: Roster Projections Part 1b: Infielders and Outfielders

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Roster Projections Part 1b: Infielders and Outfielders

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I wonder if the twins will pickup Tony Campana?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's what I figure as well. If Benson has a good spring he'll get the spot over Hicks to start the year because of his september call up in 2011. But will he start in center or as a 4th outfielder?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Benson will have to start or be in Rochester. Think Hicks will be the CF and leadoff hitter. Boggs could be the fourth outfileder for the start. In the end Parmalee is the key as to how this plays out.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My first reaction after reading your projection was...thats the best we have. I felt like all the people at the beginning of Major League looking over the roster and saying who are these guys. But it really hits home how many retreads and AAAA players are going to filling out the roster to start the season. I just hope July and August we have really started the youth movement in earnest. I don't want to slam guys because these are players trying their best and working hard to improve everyday out there. But heart and sweat can only take you so far in baseball, sooner or later you need some talent. That talent is coming, but we are still a year or so from it. It is like 1982-83 for me, to quote Yogi it is Deja Vu all over again.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish it was more like 82-83. The current roster has too many decline phase players that will not be part of the solution.

I think there is a good chance that either the 6th infielder or 4th outfielder will be a player who is not in the organization yet.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why won't Drew Butera go away? What a waste of a roster spot.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much seems like most of these spots are penciled in for the most part. I think the one thing to watch is Hicks/Benson. I think they want to take it easy with Hicks and not toss him in there if he's off to a slow start.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    Pretty much seems like most of these spots are penciled in for the most part. I think the one thing to watch is Hicks/Benson. I think they want to take it easy with Hicks and not toss him in there if he's off to a slow start.
    Agreed. They're not going to put him into a situation that they don't think he's ready for or could handle. They certainly believe in him. But the part that we don't see will also factor into that. He may hit .220 in spring training, but may be doing the right things in practice. Since Spring Training results should never be the final determinant (although it often is), other factors have to come in to play.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I wish it was more like 82-83. The current roster has too many decline phase players that will not be part of the solution.

I think there is a good chance that either the 6th infielder or 4th outfielder will be a player who is not in the organization yet.
    1982 Roster that would go on to lose 100 games included such players as Gary Ward, Jesus Vega, Rob Wilfong, Larry Milbourbne, Ray Smith, Fernando Arroyo, Don Cooper, Doug Corbett, Pete "Freeze" Filson. So the quality of the players overall in 1982 was not overwhelming. Now the difference is that 1982 opening day lineup was also a youth movement with Gaetti, Hrbek, Eisenriech in the starting 9 mixed with vets like Smalley, Wyneger, Dave Engle, Mickey "your so fine" Hatcher. Much deeper then what we anticipate this year. But other names that came up that year and got playing time-Viola, Laudner, Bush. So the core of the 1987-91 teams started to learn in this year. The age of the guys- Herbie was 21 on opening day (jumping AAA I believe), Viola was 22, G-man was 23 and Bush 23. In 1983 a 22 year old named Greg Gagne showed up and we had our Shortstop for the next decade. And all this took place in a brand new Ball park. Maybe we will be surprised in the names coming out spring training.

Willingham and Parmlee in the same starting OF? They are not going to cover much ground. With the Twins pitching staff they might have to utilize the softball defense of 4 OFers anyway. Better have whoever plays CF wear track shoes.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shocked that the two guys Ryan has penciled in for SS and CF are not even 75% chances. I would say Florimon is close to 90%. He was the starting SS for the last two months last year after all. Nothing has changed since then. And I'd say it's Hicks' job to lose. Consider how they handled Mauer after trading Pierzinski. That is exactly Hick's situation now. He'd have to show some serious flaws to be sent down, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    Herbie was 21 on opening day (jumping AAA I believe) . . . .
    Herbek actually jumped from A ball to the majors as did Eisenreich, which is pretty amazing. Gaetti jumped from AA. Viola was drafted in 1981 and made his major league debut within a year. Laudner was draft in 1979 and made his major league debut two years later.

The Griffith regime had a little different philosophy about promoting prospects through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombo Rivera View Post
    Willingham and Parmlee in the same starting OF? They are not going to cover much ground. With the Twins pitching staff they might have to utilize the softball defense of 4 OFers anyway. Better have whoever plays CF wear track shoes.
    I think Bombo raises a good point. We know Gardenhire likes speed in the outfield. By the end of May, it wouldn't shock me if Willingham and/or Parmelee is relegated to DH duties and the combination of Mastroianni, Hicks, Benson is holding down at least two spots in the outfield.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    I think Bombo raises a good point. We know Gardenhire likes speed in the outfield. By the end of May, it wouldn't shock me if Willingham and/or Parmelee is relegated to DH duties and the combination of Mastroianni, Hicks, Benson is holding down at least two spots in the outfield.
    I highly doubt that. If you have Willingham or Parmelee added to the DH mix then you hvae difficulty getting Mauer time at DH and you'd have to sit Doumit more. They're best served as a team if they can have all 4 of these guys in the lineup as much as possible.

When the starting pitching gets lit up, the first thing Gardy is going to do is blame the outfield defense.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When the starting pitching gets lit up, the first thing Gardy is going to do is blame the outfield defense.
    I don't think so. The guys you propose will be out there really are not that great in field either so it's some huge upgrade. Granted Willingham and Parmelee are not great OF but it's not like we'd be replacing them with a GG caliber OF. Certainly Benson, Hicks and Mastroianni are faster and might have better skill but what you give up at the plate isn't worth the extra defense.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    Herbek actually jumped from A ball to the majors as did Eisenreich, which is pretty amazing. Gaetti jumped from AA. Viola was drafted in 1981 and made his major league debut within a year. Laudner was draft in 1979 and made his major league debut two years later.

The Griffith regime had a little different philosophy about promoting prospects through the system.

yes Cheaper...hard to believe I know. They also had a good eye for talent and knew what they had in 1980-81 was not what was going to win. But it took a few years to recover from the floatsam that was drifted through in the late 70's early 80's. Patience was required both in the front office and in the fan base. There was no quick easy fix for those problems as there will be none for these current sets.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Aside from Okie Blackburn, Okie Gardy seems to hold the starters accountable though at times he may lay the excuse on a lingering physical ailment. Last year, I'm pretty sure during every news conference after games that weren't started by Diamond, Gardy used the phrase, "left a few pitches up in the zone" at minimum two times.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post

True and those were exciting times, but we can't pretend that the salary gulf between young players and veterans hasn't exponentially increased over the last 30 years. Young Twins of this era would likely skip a few levels if the Twins weren't most concerned about furture arbitration and losing players to free agency before they hit their prime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast