The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: TD Top Prospects: #1 Miguel Sano

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice write up Nick. I've read alot of these over the last couple years, but you've managed to paint Sano in a slightly different light. It seems like that with his arm, if he can't stick at 3rd, he'd be more of an asset in RF. Maybe its time to move him now?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Thanks for the write-up. One note, its Kiley McDaniel, not McDonald. I'm not trying to be anal or anything as I know I make mistakes all the time, just want to give credit appropriately.

I, as I'm sure most of us do, really hope that Sano can develop into a serviceable third baseman. I think he's got the skills to do it. Only saw him play once, but to me it seemed that he could be ok there with more time and reps. He definitely has the arm for it, but yes footwork is the main issue. I'm very excited to see what Sano can become.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of this guy before...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Great free agent signing. Sometimes you have to be willing to spend more than other teams to sign a legit, big time, FA. I'm very glad Bill Smith was the GM at that point.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins do not need outfielders at this time. Ist Base or DH are the other options

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll stay at 3rd base.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    I bet Sano will be better than Punto--and Gardy was Jake with him.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. One note, its Kiley McDaniel, not McDonald. I'm not trying to be anal or anything as I know I make mistakes all the time, just want to give credit appropriately.
    Oops, thank you! Fixed. Definitely want to credit him properly as his work is outstanding.

Certainly Sano looks like a power producer. I get that. But if he's never going to hit for average or be a decent fielder what's the point? I'd rather have Hicks – a true five-tool outfielder, than someone who hits a lot of bombs, but who strikes out a lot and is a poor fielder. Yes, you can put him in right field, or a 1st base, but in my opinion, you cannot hide players on the field. Defense is important too. I'd put him further down on the list, say fourth. I like well-rounded players better than players who are just power threats. I'm not saying he cannot develop into a better fielding player, but I'd want to see that potential before I move him higher on the list.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he truly grew an inch in the past year, isn't it even more implausible that he is 23.

Very psyched he is going to be in the Twins organization for the next 9-10 years, minimum.

Miguel is a wonderful young man. The first thing he asked me when he moved into my home in Elizabethton "Will I have enough to eat here?" Needless to say, he had enough to eat, learned quite a bit of English and we fine tuned some of the social skills he will need in the big leagues. He has a lot on his shoulders with a large family to support back home in the Dominican Republic. I can't wait to see him in spring training this year.
    Last edited by Madre Dos; 02-15-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano is one big dude. Is he the biggest position prospect in the Twins minor league organization? He has to be the most athletic big man in the organization. Although not a prospect - I believe even Willingham is not as athletic as Sano in my opinion.

They should start teaching him how to play 1B anyway. He'd be much more valuable if he could play both. We'll know things are in motion when TK starts working with him at 1st.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Sounds like Sano might be a decent baseball player.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I believe even Willingham is not as athletic as Sano in my opinion.
    I'd love to hear your definition of the word "athletic".

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I rented Pelotero from the Hennipin County Library. It is worthwhile to watch it. Check your local library and see if it is available.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Twins do not need outfielders at this time. Ist Base or DH are the other options
    By the time Sano makes it to the majors, there might be a need for a corner outfielder, and his strong arm might be valuable in right field.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    By the time Sano makes it to the majors, there might be a need for a corner outfielder, and his strong arm might be valuable in right field.
    RF doesn't seem to be a difficult position to teach. If the handwriting ever becomes on the wall, they can spend his final minor league season doing that, or even half a season, and he'll be adequate, with a chance to improve with further experience.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    RF doesn't seem to be a difficult position to teach. If the handwriting ever becomes on the wall, they can spend his final minor league season doing that, or even half a season, and he'll be adequate, with a chance to improve with further experience.
    Twins are okay with moving 1B-pedigree to RF late in his development, so there doesn't seem to be a need to rush Sano into the OF any time soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast