Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Lefty Reliever Rafael Perez

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no blame.
    There is only peace. And what it offers us and our brothers.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Thank god we taxpayers built target field, it is signings like this that make paying higher taxes totally worth it. But then, now that they have target field, Dave is saying payroll does not matter.
    Not my tax dollars!

I have never said payroll doesn't matter, I have been saying I wouldn't give out any 2 year contracts that restrict payroll for 2014 on forward when we have a good shot to compete. Also the entire off-season I was saying I wanted to give guys like Johnson, Marcum and Saunders one year deals. Though maybe giving guys like Hendriks and lesser guys like DeDuno a longer look this year it could be more beneficial for the future as well (let's find out who is legit and who isn't). We really should have tried to bring in a MI with upside though. That is very disappointing.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    In what way? In single season serving size and unadjusted for age and other factors, it's not a very good predictive tool, but then it wasn't meant to be. As far as quantifying what a player did to help his team win in a give season, it's awfully good.
    Was responding to a tongue-in-cheek posting invoking the name of the old rock band War, with a bit of silliness of my own, that wound up being too much like trolling. Maybe should have gone with "War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin', say it again" instead. I have nothing really against WAR as a handy all-purpose yardstick if it's not taken overly seriously.

Blog Entries
    So Vodka goes off topic and you're blaming it on jokin?
    No, now I'm blaming it on you, my brother.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Was responding to a tongue-in-cheek posting invoking the name of the old rock band War, with a bit of silliness of my own, that wound up being too much like trolling. Maybe should have gone with "War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin', say it again" instead. I have nothing really against WAR as a handy all-purpose yardstick if it's not taken overly seriously.
    Subtle humor gets lost on this board unless most of what you post is snark.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Dave, I meant Dave St. Peter is now saynig payroll does not matter.....which is fascinating, given all the lobbying he did to get a new stadium to make the team more competitive....because, you know, they needed more revenue.
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Payroll doesn't really matter look at Tampa. Still the idea of those snakey freaking Pohlads pocketing a larger percentage of the profit makes me physically ill. As far as looking at Perez as a SP I say why not. Still I think this signing means Duensing will start the season holding down Diamond's rotation spot is the more likely outcome.

Liked 1,625 Times in 808 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, now I'm blaming it on you, my brother.
    In the absence of reason, consistency will have to do.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    Payroll doesn't really matter look at Tampa. Still the idea of those snakey freaking Pohlads pocketing a larger percentage of the profit makes me physically ill. As far as looking at Perez as a SP I say why not. Still I think this signing means Duensing will start the season holding down Diamond's rotation spot is the more likely outcome.
    Those high draft picks for a decade didnt hurt either.

Blog Entries
    Fair enough, although the stat is much, much more useful than the juvenile, nonsensical song it shares a name with. Correlates to wins at about an 85 or 90 percent clip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Dave, I meant Dave St. Peter is now saynig payroll does not matter.....which is fascinating, given all the lobbying he did to get a new stadium to make the team more competitive....because, you know, they needed more revenue.
    In the movie As Good As It Gets, Nicholson is a writer who is asked how he 'writes women so well', to which he replies "i think of a man. And I take away reason and accountability".

That's pretty much the Twins. A professional sports franchise, minus the reason and accountability.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Subtle humor gets lost on this board unless most of what you post is snark.
    I remind myself of that frequently, and sometimes I care, sometimes I don't. You're right that a percentage of around 50% is almost exactly anti-optimal. Unless 100% of my snark quota is funny, which it ain't.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,250 Times in 498 Posts
    I remind myself of that frequently, and sometimes I care, sometimes I don't. You're right that a percentage of around 50% is almost exactly anti-optimal. Unless 100% of my snark quota is funny, which it ain't.
    I'm 100% certain that I'm at least 25% confused by 50% of this post.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

In the movie As Good As It Gets, Nicholson is a writer who is asked how he 'writes women so well', to which he replies "i think of a man. And I take away reason and accountability".

That's pretty much the Twins. A professional sports franchise, minus the reason and accountability.
    Might not want to quote a character line that was written to make him look like a misanthrope to support your position.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Those high draft picks for a decade didnt hurt either.
    Pittsburg...Kansas City...

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    Might not want to quote a character line that was written to make him look like a misanthrope to support your position.
    Exactly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123