Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Murphy: The low down on Scott Diamond's recovery

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Murphy: The low down on Scott Diamond's recovery

Brian Murphy provides some specifics on how Scott Diamond is recovering and what he has left to do. He also hints at why this surgery didn't happen until December:

Unpleasant was the cracking sound he heard in his elbow lifting weights in December, which revealed bone chips and led to an operation that jeopardizes Diamond's chances to break camp with the Twins.
    Minnesota Twins: Anxious pitcher Scott Diamond 'in limbo' while elbow heals - TwinCities.com

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Did he get the weights he was lifting from the Twins medical staff? Hmm?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    I am not a doctor but I googled bone chips and didn't find anything that showed that weight lifting would cause bone chips:

The chips usually result from a forceful injury to the elbow joint. It is also seen in the elbows of throwing athletesand gymnasts.
    Summit Medical Group - Bone Chips in the Elbow (Osteochondritis Dissecans)

Most likely the weight lifting exposed the fact the Twins medical staff missed the chips on the exit physical.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    I am not a doctor but I googled bone chips and didn't find anything that showed that weight lifting would cause bone chips:

Summit Medical Group - Bone Chips in the Elbow (Osteochondritis Dissecans)

Most likely the weight lifting exposed the fact the Twins medical staff missed the chips on the exit physical.
    exit physical? Is it common for every player to get an end of the year X-ray/MRI/etc when the season finishes up? If Diamond didn't experience any pain I don't see why they would give him an extensive check after the season etc

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know whether teams do exit physicals, but they seem like a good idea.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I don't know whether teams do exit physicals, but they seem like a good idea.
    They do. Every player.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    exit physical? Is it common for every player to get an end of the year X-ray/MRI/etc when the season finishes up? If Diamond didn't experience any pain I don't see why they would give him an extensive check after the season etc
    Potentially multi-million dollar investments tied up in 25 rostered end-of-season pitchers amd position players. It's absolutely foolhardy to think that the Twins and every other club in baseball aren't doing their medical due diligence, and on position players, too. It's that darned "application part" that the Twins medical staff still can't quite get the hang of getting right.