Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could see us trading either Revere or Benson for a solid SP. Might have to throw more then that on the table, but it really depends on the year they have.

I can't imagine selling low on Hicks unless he completely falls out of favor with the team. I like his plate discipline and am not ready to give up on his raw talent. I think it would make the most sense to sit back and evaluate our OF depth. If Revere proves he can handle LF and Benson excels in AAA, it might be in our best interest to move Revere while his perceived ceiling is high. Then again, Gardy loves Revere's scrap (as do I), so if we're in contention I'm sure they'd move Benson for an overrated late inning arm. If Hicks does re-emerge as a top-3 prospect and we aren't winning, look for Span to be dealt.
    Last edited by Wachsta; 03-20-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added a line

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I could see us trading either Revere or Benson for a solid SP
    I see Span being traded before either Revere or Benson (especially Benson). If the Twins are out of it by midseason and Span, Morneau, Liriano, Baker and Pavano are healthy and performing they provide the highest trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I see Span being traded before either Revere or Benson (especially Benson). If the Twins are out of it by midseason and Span, Morneau, Liriano, Baker and Pavano are healthy and performing they provide the highest trade value.
    Morneau would have to have some sort of amazing recovery to establish value (I'm hoping he is able to put everything behind him, for the record!).
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Do not trade Joe Benson.

WHY? to keep some slappy hitting/weak-armed outfielders ? Bah.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Benson will likely be the Twins centerfielder for a decade, beginning sometime in 2013. You don't trade future all-stars. On the other hand, I see the Twins moving one of the four. Just not Benson!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    What team is going to trade a sold starting pitcher for Ben Revere? No chance that happens. If Hikck's production ever matches his hype, I'd keep him, because his hype is off the charts. I'm not sure why you'd deal him if he's a top, top prospect again. It's not like there are impact players all over the minors...

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Benson really a center fielder? I know he's played most of his time there in the minors, but it has been far from exclusive, even as recently as 2010. I can't imagine him playing center field if Span, Revere or Hicks is on the roster. and after a string of center fielders that include Torii, Gomez, Span and Revere, I have trouble seeing the Twins giving him that job.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All Star?

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Benson will likely be the Twins centerfielder for a decade, beginning sometime in 2013. You don't trade future all-stars. On the other hand, I see the Twins moving one of the four. Just not Benson!
    An All-star? That's just a little bit of a stretch, wouldn't you say?

I would like the Twins to make a forward-thinking trade.... for once. I have my doubts though..

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    and after a string of center fielders that include Torii, Gomez, Span and Revere, I have trouble seeing the Twins giving him that job.
    The only thing I can think of that all those center fielders have in common is that they cover a lot of ground, but my understanding is that Benson also covers a lot of ground and is just a bit slower than Revere. Or were you making another point?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    The only thing I can think of that all those center fielders have in common is that they cover a lot of ground, but my understanding is that Benson also covers a lot of ground and is just a bit slower than Revere. Or were you making another point?
    From what I've read only a little 'slower' than Revere.

MUCH stronger arm. Hicks has a strong arm as well.
    There is no way that long term, if they can hit, either of these guys is not the Twins CF, and some noddle-arm like Span/Revere is.

Just watch the # of runners score from 2nd on Revere this year. I am expecting teams to be very aggressive on his weak arm. ANd while he makes hi-light catches, Revere should be run on due to the throwing inefficiencies.

If the Twins are out of it by midseason and Span, Morneau, Liriano, Baker and Pavano are healthy and performing they provide the highest trade value.
    I agree, if the Twins are out of the race, and any of those guys have "returned to form" we need to trade them for whatever prospects we can get. I think we're all in agreement that some of the Twins' best players (or maybe I should say potentially their best players) are a few years away, so if any of the guys above have value at the deadline, we might as well see if we can get another prospect, particularly a pitching prospect, or two that will be coming up at the same time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    Morneau would have to have some sort of amazing recovery to establish value (I'm hoping he is able to put everything behind him, for the record!).
    All Morneau would have to do is show that he is healthy and productive. If he can overcome his issues of the last 1.5 seasons, he would be a great addition to some team for $20M for the next 1.5 seasons. If Parmelee excels in AAA I think the Twins would really like to trade Morneau and start Parmelee (especially in 2013).

Right now the players with the highest trade values are Span and Morneau because production is not the issue. If they can show that they are healthy they could bring the most return. Pavano, Baker and Liriano are next on the list as they would be 2nd half rentals so they won't bring back as much.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins are out of contention, I could see Span fectching them something very nice at the trade deadline. 2 years from now, I think we will be looking at an OF of Benson/Hicks/Arcia with Revere hopefully being traded or acting as a 4th OF. I don't see a lot of room for Span on that one, but we should have a very good idea by the trade deadline as to whether or not they should be dealing Span. I think it makes sense if this team finds itself rebuilding again. A healthy and performing Span should be able to fetch a starting pitcher with a pretty decent ceiling that isn't thaaaaaaaaaat far out.

If that's the case, the real question is when you start calling these guys up. I could see using Revere as a placeholder until Hicks is ready, but I really don't like him as a long term answer.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Is Benson really a center fielder? I know he's played most of his time there in the minors, but it has been far from exclusive, even as recently as 2010. I can't imagine him playing center field if Span, Revere or Hicks is on the roster. and after a string of center fielders that include Torii, Gomez, Span and Revere, I have trouble seeing the Twins giving him that job.
    From everything I've heard, he has the tools to be a plus center-fielder, and has performed well there in the minors. Similar speed to Span, much better arm, good body control (whatever that means). So yeah, I think he really is a center-fielder, but that doesn't mean the Twins won't move him to keep Span in center or to make room for Hicks to come up behind him. His arm would play well in right field. An outfield of Revere-Span-Benson, or Revere-Hicks-Benson could swallow a lot of fly-balls.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Benson LF, Hicks CF, Span RF. Best outfield in baseball for half a dozen years.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I doubt Revere has a lot of trade value. He'd be a 4th outfielder on most clubs, and may still end up there for the Twins. I think Span could get a very good return. Benson will also likely be able to generate a good return, but it's unlikely the FO is thinking of shipping him anytime soon and they probably shouldn't be.

I'd be interested to see what kind of prospects Span could pry from a playoff contender looking for a table-setter near the trade deadline. I'd think a potential impact guy in the upper levels plus one or two interesting guys at the lower levels. Maybe the Twins could end up with a couple power pitching prospects.

Does Angel Morales fit into this conversation at all? I know he's played with Hicks a bit meaning he hasn't played center an awful lot, but I've read he has the speed and arm to play there. Does seem to have contact issues which need to be rectified but all of these guys have flaws (they are minor leaguers). I've heard everything from "could be a Carlos Beltran-type" to "could be the next Carlos Gomez" on this guy but who knows.

An outfield of Benson in left, Hicks in center, and Arcia/Morales in right has me salivating, but everyone needs to realize that a lot has to go right for all three/four of those guys. And I'm really hoping the organization doesn't fall too in love with Revere. I like the kid and he is fun to watch, I just don't see him as a great building block for the future.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Morneau

All Morneau would have to do is show that he is healthy and productive. If he can overcome his issues of the last 1.5 seasons, he would be a great addition to some team for $20M for the next 1.5 seasons. If Parmelee excels in AAA I think the Twins would really like to trade Morneau and start Parmelee (especially in 2013).

Right now the players with the highest trade values are Span and Morneau because production is not the issue. If they can show that they are healthy they could bring the most return. Pavano, Baker and Liriano are next on the list as they would be 2nd half rentals so they won't bring back as much.
    Ummmmm.....Morneau ISN'T healthy and/or productive. That's the whole point. Until those things are established(which is no sure thing), he has pretty much zero trade value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast