Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Centerfield Trade Bait

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Benson really a center fielder?
    Absolutely!

Benson LF, Hicks CF, Span RF. Best outfield in baseball for half a dozen years.
    I like that OF, but I would go with Span in LF, Benson in CF and Hicks in RF. Span is just solid. Benson is the fastest of that group and has a rocket for an arm. Hicks is also fast but his arm is the strongest of the group. Honestly, you could flip-flop Benson and Hicks, but all three are CF, great athletes and that would, potentially, be a great defensive outfield!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does Angel Morales fit into this conversation at all?
    He should, but after an injury-filled 2011, he probably has to play well in 2012 to be back in the discussion. He's a terrific athlete, good outfielder, very good speed, strong arm... although he hasn't hit a lot of home runs since E-Town, most belive he's got the power and the swing to hit HR. People forget that he is younger than Aaron Hicks, even though he was drafted a year earlier.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    Ummmmm.....Morneau ISN'T healthy and/or productive. That's the whole point. Until those things are established(which is no sure thing), he has pretty much zero trade value.
    All indications are the he is healthy, he just hasn't got his timing back yet.

And the season hasn't started yet either.
    Last edited by SweetOne69; 03-20-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    All this talk about moving an outfielder to make room for Benson and eventually Hicks demonstrates that signing Willingham to a three year deal when the club is rebuilding was perhaps an unwise decision. The knee jerk reaction to replace Cuddyer with a comparable not only blocked younger player's development, but took away $8 million for the next 3 years that could have been better spent on pitching. Don't forget, this team is also looking for playing time for Trevor Plouffe also. Hopefully Willingham has a very nice first half and his 3 year deal looks like a bargain to a contender at the trade deadline. Any of the outfielders should be available for a quality young arm, but Willingham should be shopped as soon as Benson shows he's ready at Rochester.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    All this talk about moving an outfielder to make room for Benson and eventually Hicks demonstrates that signing Willingham to a three year deal when the club is rebuilding was perhaps an unwise decision. The knee jerk reaction to replace Cuddyer with a comparable not only blocked younger player's development, but took away $8 million for the next 3 years that could have been better spent on pitching. Don't forget, this team is also looking for playing time for Trevor Plouffe also. Hopefully Willingham has a very nice first half and his 3 year deal looks like a bargain to a contender at the trade deadline. Any of the outfielders should be available for a quality young arm, but Willingham should be shopped as soon as Benson shows he's ready at Rochester.
    Not really. Benson should be ready in 2013 but the rest won't be until mid-2014 or 2015 (End of Willingham's contract).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Seth's post here. Span in LF, Benson in CF and Hicks in RF.

For those of you are talking about Span being traded . . . who's your leadoff hitter?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I agree with Seth's post here. Span in LF, Benson in CF and Hicks in RF.

For those of you are talking about Span being traded . . . who's your leadoff hitter?
    If Span is traded this year, Carroll would slide into the leadoff role.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Absolutely!

I like that OF, but I would go with Span in LF, Benson in CF and Hicks in RF. Span is just solid. Benson is the fastest of that group and has a rocket for an arm. Hicks is also fast but his arm is the strongest of the group. Honestly, you could flip-flop Benson and Hicks, but all three are CF, great athletes and that would, potentially, be a great defensive outfield!
    True that all three are CF's, but I've seen Span in person in RF. He was incredible. Played like he was born there. I'm assuming Hicks has more range than Benson, and his arm should be like a young Torii Hunter. Benson I put in LF because he throws right. Verily you could swap them any which way and get good defense. The only real questions for the newbies are, can they hit?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins are not in the race by the end of July, I see Span traded for a young up and coming SP. If the Twins are in the race by the deadline, I see someone like Hicks get traded for an established SP. I don't think that Marquis will last the season either way
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    An All-star? That's just a little bit of a stretch, wouldn't you say?

I would like the Twins to make a forward-thinking trade.... for once. I have my doubts though..
    I have seen a lot of comparisons to Torii Hunter. Personally, I see Benson as eventually being better than Hunter. A step faster, same football mentality in the outfield, top defender, a lot of power, and yes, he will continue to strike out a bit too often. All-Star, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    If the Twins are not in the race by the end of July, I see Span traded for a young up and coming SP. If the Twins are in the race by the deadline, I see someone like Hicks get traded for an established SP. I don't think that Marquis will last the season either way
    I'm not sure about Span and Hicks, but I think you're right about Marquis.
    In all seriousness, though, a healthy Span, with his reasonable contract, somewhat young age, and demonstrated ability in the field and at the plate, would fetch the best return, I suppose.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I understand the thinking in terms of trading one of these guys, but I feel the expectations for what the Twins could get in return are a bit unrealistic. It seems to me that teams aren't very willing to trade pitching prospects. I think the best they could get for Span would be someone who projects as a #3 starter. Maybe that would still be valuable for a Twins system that needs pitching, but I'm not sure it would be worth trading a quality leadoff hitter to get.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    I understand the thinking in terms of trading one of these guys, but I feel the expectations for what the Twins could get in return are a bit unrealistic. It seems to me that teams aren't very willing to trade pitching prospects. I think the best they could get for Span would be someone who projects as a #3 starter. Maybe that would still be valuable for a Twins system that needs pitching, but I'm not sure it would be worth trading a quality leadoff hitter to get.
    Exactly. Not that lineup order is vitally important other than general OBP, but a leadoff guy is important. Jamey Carroll in that role might be tolerable to some, I suppose.

The only way one is going to get the starter the Twins need is by packaging prospects together. One of these CFs, some top pitching prospect and maybe some second-tier OFs (Tosoni, Bigley, Roberts) might be a package that gets you something.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    thrylos, you see Terry Ryan trading a top prospect for a MLB player? Wow. That would potentially be a sign that 2012 is the end of the world, wouldn't it?
    Lighten up Francis....

Maybe the Astros? Ha ha.

Bud Norris for Ben Revere. I'd do that deal today.
    Follow me on Twitter: @brandon_warne (drop me a line and I'll follow back)
    Check out the Minnesota Baseball Writer's Alliance Facebook page!
    Finally, GO TWINS!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Warne View Post
    Maybe the Astros? Ha ha.

Bud Norris for Ben Revere. I'd do that deal today.
    I've been thinking the Braves would line up pretty well in a trade. Maybe something centering around Denard Span for any one of Beachy, Minor, Delgado or Jurrjens. The Braves need a long-term centerfielder badly and have a ton of pitching to spare.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    thrylos, you see Terry Ryan trading a top prospect for a MLB player? Wow. That would potentially be a sign that 2012 is the end of the world, wouldn't it?
    They've done it before recently when in contention... Not all top prospects (other than Ramos), but not junk: Pino for Pavano, Hamburger for Guardado, Mulvey for Rauch, Ramos and Testa for Capps, Van Mil for Fuentes. Allegedly, Bill Smith was "running the club". I am sure that Ryan was part of the decision making process...
    -----

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    I understand the thinking in terms of trading one of these guys, but I feel the expectations for what the Twins could get in return are a bit unrealistic. It seems to me that teams aren't very willing to trade pitching prospects. I think the best they could get for Span would be someone who projects as a #3 starter.
    A comparable trade would be that of McLouth from the Pirates to the Braves for Gorkys Hernandez, Jeff Locke and Charlie Morton before the deadline in 2009. Before the 2009 season, Baseball America ranked Hernandez at the Braves' 4th best prospect (behind Hanson, Heyward and Schafer) and 69th oveall in Baseball, Locke their 6th overall and Morton was very good as well (and already in the majors and like a #3-4 starter for the Pirates already.) And their Braves' system was stocked back then.

And I think that Span will bring more because he is signed to a very team friendly contract.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 03-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    -----

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    This is exactly right - Willingham has to go before Span does. Money guaranteed Willingham through 2014: $21M. Money guaranteed Span: $14.75M. Willingham might not return as much, but Span will probably provide more value, and Benson should more than make up for Willingham in all facets of the game.

Or, if it looks like Hicks isn't going to put things together, hold onto Willingham and move Revere. They could keep Revere as the 4th OF, but he's probably worth more to someone else. I just don't think he's ever going to be as good as Span.

Benson and Hicks in RF/CF and Span in LF is my dream OF. So much OBP, such good defense. Get it going, Hicks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12