Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Schoenfield Twins Offseason Report Card

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

ESPN's Schoenfield Twins Offseason Report Card

Oof. At least we have Mauer..

Offseason report card: Twins - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Outside of the Astros, the Twins may have the least talented 25-man roster in the major leagues ... and that's with two former MVPs on it.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ugh. I can't even think about this offseason without getting angry anymore.

There's. Just. No. Reason. For. This. To. Happen.

Marcum or Saunders and a middle(ing) infielder and we're all happy as clams. Instead, we want to spend April drinking ourselves to death.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    So yeah, it's not just some of us that are pretty down about this squad.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't get his dislike for Parm (offense wise), but I guess he needs to show more at the major league level. Calling Morneau a platoon player is a bit over the top too. Id like to see him play healthy and not rely on the past few years of his post concussion shell of his former self.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    But but Terry said........
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    I don't get his dislike for Parm (offense wise), but I guess he needs to show more at the major league level. Calling Morneau a platoon player is a bit over the top too.
    Those two things stood out to me as well. He crapped on Parmalee's offense while offering no justification. The Morneau remark I can understand (a bit), an outsider looking at the splits wouldn't necessarily see his dramatic improvement over the course of the season against lefties.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i think Mr. Schoenfield pretty much hit the nail on the head with his overall grade of "D" for our twinkies

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Those two things stood out to me as well. He crapped on Parmalee's offense while offering no justification. The Morneau remark I can understand (a bit), an outsider looking at the splits wouldn't necessarily see his dramatic improvement over the course of the season against lefties.

Is there anywhere to track his monthly averages against lefties? I couldn't figure out a way to do it on either FG's or BR.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'Remember ... the Twins' pitching was bad a year ago with Span and Revere out there regularly. I shudder to think what could happen this year.'

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Schoenfeld assigned the letter grade of "D" for the Twins offseason activity- when so much more could have been done with just the hint of an organizational pulse showing signs of life- this is simply unacceptable. In point of fact, you generally cannot transfer a "D" grade on a course for credit when transferring to another university- so it in reality represents a FAIL on the part of an organization so recently injected with a beautiful, revenue-stream paying ball-park, and a club still replete with 2 former MVPs still near the prime of their careers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This "depressing" quote was widely known and teeth-clenchingly accepted by Twins fans:

Aside from those trades, it was basically a bunch of depressing moves like hoping on rehab guys such as Pelfrey, who wasn't that good when healthy, and Harden, who is never healthy anyway. And as it was pointed out to me on Twitter, they gave Pelfrey, coming off Tommy John surgery, as much as the Mets gave Shaun Marcum, a guy with a 3.62 ERA over the past three seasons.
    But this I had forgotten about, and is laughingstock-worthy:

Heck, they even signed Scott Elarton, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2008, had a 5.41 ERA in Triple-A with the Phillies and basically had two decent seasons in the majors back in 2000 and 2001. The point isn't that Elarton is going to pitch for the Twins, but that their minor league system is so devoid of anybody resembling a major league pitcher that the front office felt compelled to sign a guy who hasn't been good in over a decade.
    After erroneously downplaying Parmelee's potential upside, and then "shuddering" about an OF now devoid of one proven outfielder- leading to utter pitching disaster, Schoenfeld throws Twins fans a "lifeline bone" of positivity:

Let's be nice here: These guys are placeholders. Even Scott Diamond, who pitched so well as a rookie (12-9, 3.54 ERA), is likely ripe for a sophomore slump unless he improves his strikeout rate that ranked 85th among 88 qualified starters. No. 86? Kevin Correia, one of the players the Twins signed in the offseason. ]
    Remember 2012? Good times....

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Is there anywhere to track his monthly averages against lefties? I couldn't figure out a way to do it on either FG's or BR.
    Not that I'm aware of.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Schoenfield really piled on when he said that only the $23 million-dollar Astros roster is between the Twins and the bottom of the talent pile, He's right but still. A decent human being doesn't tell the sweet fat girl she looks terrible in her prom dress. A decent human being tells her that her hair looks really nice.

I guess Schoenfield should get some credit for the D- grade for the pitching staff. That was a social-promotion passing grade if I ever saw one. Move on to 2014 Twins pitchers - you are the new teacher's problem now.

Liked 49 Times in 39 Posts
    A brutal honest take on what the Twins, did or didn't do, but there's a reason you play the game
    Spring Training and we are all tied for first, GO TWINS!!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A "D"? Whatever, they're a "D+" easily.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Reading that article was like jumping in the frozen lake after a session in the sauna. I was looking for the 90+ wins category on the SN vote--but I couldn't find it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    I don't think the author spent much time looking at the Twins when said to make Perkins a starter. I will grant the negative people out there that there is not much there to look at with the Twins. Likewise to the rose colored glasses fans, Pelfrey wasn't a bad pitcher, Hendricks and Dozier have a litlle promise. If you think you have to drink to watch the Twins, go hng out in Elliott Park with your new friends.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I don't think the author spent much time looking at the Twins when said to make Perkins a starter..
    ^^^ that

I doubt that Schoenfield watched more than 3 Twins' major league games in 2012 or any Twins' MiLB games to be able to talk about the "talent level" of the organization, including this gem:

but that their minor league system is so devoid of anybody resembling a major league pitcher
    Yes, again, Ryan has been his spendthrift self as far as P FAs go, plus the Twins signed a whole lot of over the hill MiLB FAs, like they do evey season, but this does not mean that the Twins do not have enough talent in their minors as far starters who can contribute in 2013 go.

I really take what most National writer types say, with a huge grain of salt, unless I know that they actually know the team they are talking about.

This off-season was kinda disappointing, but for the wrong reasons (namely the Twins did not blow the whole thing up and went for a rebuild and did the half-rear end thing again; and not because they did not sign Bourne and Greinke and the such...)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Marcum or Saunders and a middle(ing) infielder and we're all happy as clams.
    I would speak for yourself on this one. Two marginal upgrades and everyone here would be happy? Do you read the majority of postings?
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I would speak for yourself on this one. Two marginal upgrades and everyone here would be happy? Do you read the majority of postings?
    Speak for yourself on that one.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast