Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 122

Thread: ESPN's Schoenfield Twins Offseason Report Card

  1. #41
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'm not sure how happy a clam can get
    Geico probably has an ad in the works that covers this.

  2. #42
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    More beer!!

  3. #43
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    782
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Reading that article was like jumping in the frozen lake after a session in the sauna. I was looking for the 90+ wins category on the SN vote--but I couldn't find it.
    For me, it was like that first freezing football practice where your hands are frozen. Then you go inside and tell the guys from dlwn south that u need to immediately put those hands under hot running water. I got that tingly feeling in my head and stomach. Needles. All said tho, this is oneguys opinion and I even read that the twins got a vote from a top executive for most improved al team. Espn even

  4. #44
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I even read that the twins got a vote from a top executive for most improved al team.
    It is kind of suspicious that that vote claimed the Twins did some "pretty darn good executiveing" this offseason. Hmmm...

  5. #45
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    ..and I even read that the twins got a vote from a top executive for most improved al team. Espn even
    Do you have a link so all of us can read it?

  6. #46
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,858
    Like
    12
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This response was pretty predictable. Calling them "marginal" upgrades is a bit silly not because they are great players, but moreso because our options last year really were THAT awful. Even signing an average pitcher is more than a marginal upgrade. Much less Marcum who has been well above average.
    I was thinking more in regards to upgrade on what they had already done as opposed to upgrade on tbe slop from last year.

    I just find the premise hilarious that if the Twins did what Rocketpig suggested that people on this board would be happy.

  7. #47
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I was thinking more in regards to upgrade on what they had already done as opposed to upgrade on tbe slop from last year.

    I just find the premise hilarious that if the Twins did what Rocketpig suggested that people on this board would be happy.
    Many would. Most of the board is thrilled about the trades. Had Ryan made anything more than token offers on the free agency market, I think the board's attitude would be generally positive.

    Most of us realize that we're in a bridge year to the future. Only delusional people expecting the Twins to make a run at Greinke.

  8. #48
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,605
    Like
    21
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Only delusional people expecting the Twins to make a run at Greinke.
    I hate you so much right.

    This article is a joke. This guy obviously knows nothing about the Twins. I don't disagree with everything he wrote, but blasting Parmelee, not even mentioning Benson, suggesting Perkins should start, not even mentioning Hendriks, this guy is clueless about this team. The only "D" grade I can agree with is starting pitching, even then I say it is a D+ with potential to be better with some luck. I'm as disappointed as anyone about the lack of attention to the ML roster, but at least there is promise here. This team could be competitive as early as next season. I'm hoping JR is saving money this offseason to sign some good starting pitching next....
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    115
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Like it or not, this article is probably a good barometer of the national perception surrounding the Twins right now. Let's face it, our 25 man roster doesn't exactly strike fear in any opponents. I'm not exactly happy with what Ryan accomplished in FA. I am happy with the trades and very excited to watch all of our young talent continue to develop. It just means I'll be paying that much more attention to what's going on down on the farm and probably that much less attention to what's going on at Target Field.

  10. #50
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverslugger View Post
    Like it or not, this article is probably a good barometer of the national perception surrounding the Twins right now. Let's face it, our 25 man roster doesn't exactly strike fear in any opponents. I'm not exactly happy with what Ryan accomplished in FA. I am happy with the trades and very excited to watch all of our young talent continue to develop. It just means I'll be paying that much more attention to what's going on down on the farm and probably that much less attention to what's going on at Target Field.
    Reality is a tough pill for some to swallow.

  11. #51
    Banned Triple-A
    Posts
    253
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    These are the kinds of articles that should be in the star trib every day. Their should be no end the the public berating and belittling of the Twins ownership and front office by the media for their off season actions.

  12. #52
    The twins didn't need to sign the top of free agents lists for pitchers to improve this team but put much more effort into signing some of one year deals with free agent pitchers. First they had payroll fexibility to do so and even if season was a bust they could trade these pitchers for
    a prospect or for a player that might fit into organization longterm planning. Aslo there have been a few middle infielders they could have signed to upgrade the level the twins have. Another possibility they could have traded for SS prospect that is major league ready and would still fit with total
    rebuild the Twins are in now.This use of one year deals would not affected longterm goal or rebuilding and would still leave club option when this team is really ready to compete. This use of short term contracts would have left twins with a club that would have played 5oo ball and on outside chance they may have made the playoffs something for fans watch and optimism of future to come. The bottom line is philosophy of Twins and Terry Ryan is build within and be patience to get where your at. The Twins did well with this plan back in Terry's first stint as GM and this will probably work well again to building a team with least amount of dollars spent. The other side of this is what does it do to the revenue stream for club in the future by lost future attendance and Tv revenue if
    Twins go through dark period like last time it makes Twins brand name less desireable product to put on TV. I think this was little bit of what you saw was difference with Bill Smith and Twins ownership he wanted use free Agent market to build team in near future but costs look to risky from ownership. Also Bill Smith track record on player aquitions were poor and had shown no where of improvement. I think Twins do wonderful job of scounting and identifying talent under Terry Ryan's leadership but when it comes to free agents Twins really fall down on this
    because their behind on the curve. They are not using sabermetrics on prooven players to determine where they are at in their carreers but still using scounting and what they think they can be. Until they update this part of organization and start using it we are left with a team rebuilding from within waiting until they get right mix of playes to compete again.

  13. #53
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I just find the premise hilarious that if the Twins did what Rocketpig suggested that people on this board would be happy.
    What makes you say that? They made pretty much the smallest dent possible in the free agent market (short of not signing anybody). It's just not an impressive group of additions from any perspective really. If your assertion is that people are going to complain about anyone the Twins sign, you should probably go back and take a look at the responses to the Willingham and Doumit signings last year.

  14. #54
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I just find the premise hilarious that if the Twins did what Rocketpig suggested that people on this board would be happy.
    Is it more hilarious than taking what's obviously an extreme position, while being absolutely convinced that it's right?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  15. #55
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I would not hold my breath on local writers holding the team that accountable. D for 2013 sounds about right. They are likely worse at two OF spots, did nothing to improve the infield, and added bad starters to the rotation. B sounds about right for the future.

  16. #56
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    B sounds about right for the future.
    If we assume Worley. May and Meyer all work out, absolutely.

  17. #57
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    419
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    If we assume Worley. May and Meyer all work out, absolutely.
    You cannot really look at it that strictly. Odds are good one of those guys won't work out... that's just a fact. The team desparately needed pitching, and it went and got some. You are going to have to take some risks... Hopefully, Ryan did a better job doing one of those type of "trade from surplus" trades than what Smith did for his. As his two big pitching surplus trades look really bad right now.

    I'd also add that Worley has ML time at this point and you know what his floor is. Looking at his minor league numbers, the guy could still improve a bit too.

  18. #58
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    You cannot really look at it that strictly. Odds are good one of those guys won't work out... that's just a fact. The team desparately needed pitching, and it went and got some. You are going to have to take some risks... Hopefully, Ryan did a better job doing one of those type of "trade from surplus" trades than what Smith did for his. As his two big pitching surplus trades look really bad right now.

    I'd also add that Worley has ML time at this point and you know what his floor is. Looking at his minor league numbers, the guy could still improve a bit too.
    So, give them a grade of B for the future based on something other than the results of the players they got for the future? If they end up dogs, still give them a B?

  19. #59
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    You should judge the trade twice.....first in what you know at the time of the trade. Second, years later. But, really, the most fair is the first, given what you know now, would you make the trade? Anyone can make a good decision five years later. Now, that said, we do not have the same information as Ryan....so that makes it a bit harder.....if all three out pitchers work out, it is an A for the future......

  20. #60
    The Twins outlook isn't surefire rosy, but this is a crap article. They have at least as much on-field talent as every team in the division except Detroit. That isn't saying much, I know.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.