Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Sansevere Interviews Dave St. Peter

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bob Sansevere Interviews Dave St. Peter

Lots of talk on payroll and the relative salary of Mauer.

BS: Before you moved into Target Field, you said the move would allow the team to spend more money on players. Some people perceive that not to be happening. Is it happening?
    DSP: Obviously, there's always going to be a lot of focus on payroll. We tend to focus more on players internally. We've made a huge investment as it relates to Mauer. We've made a huge investment as it relates to Morneau. I think the reality of it is that over time there's got to be that balance between those type of players and players who come into your system. Make no mistake: We don't believe payroll is the issue. We invested well north of $100 million two years ago and it didn't pan out. Last year, our payroll was north of $100 million and we lost 95 games. The good news for fans is there is flexibility. For Opening Day, we're between $80 million and $85 million. I tend to focus more on where we land at the end of the year than where we start. Hopefully, we get off to a reasonable start. The revenues at Target Field put us in a good position, I believe, to go out and add to this baseball team and make it better.
    Twins' Dave St. Peter: Team opens season with $80 million to $85 million payroll - TwinCities.com

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Did anyone else read that last sentence as setting the table to blame the almost certain reduction in gate revenues and fan support for why the team won't add players later in the season and beyond?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm glad I have boots on.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess we'll hope we don't stumble out the gate again then

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    "...not just one or two players away from a world championship."
    "...build this thing and do it the right way."

Logical conclusions from the above two statements:

1) recognition that the Twins are in complete rebuild mode.
    2) We intend to do it the right way--through the draft and acquisition of inexpensive players (mostly minor leaguers).
    3) no plans to acquire expensive free agents until we think we are close to winning the World Series.
    4) this rebuild will take time--and we're not going to try to shortcut the process.

Other answers state that Mauer and Morneau are not restricting the process. Omitted is that either are part of the solution.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    What was our payroll last year if you replace Baker, Pavano, Blackburn, and Morneau with league minimum guys? Sure, Morneau was playing and all but.... Hell include him if you want. Who else was hurt a majority of the year that got replaced by a league minimum guy?

The $100 million payroll argument and not winning just doesn't hold weight with me...I feel like you have to look at the number as being at least $20 Million less.

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins are expected the fans to come back when the team wins. Money will be added when the team starts winning. We all hope.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    "...not just one or two players away from a world championship."
    "...build this thing and do it the right way."
    I buy this thing, but if so, they are not doing it the "right way". Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Carroll, Correia, etc do not belong in a rebuilding team...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I buy this thing, but if so, they are not doing it the "right way". Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Carroll, Correia, etc do not belong in a rebuilding team...
    They still have to field a roster and it would be a mistake to fill the team with prospects that aren't ready. If they just went with one year guys the talent would be even worse.

I don't imagine Morneau, Doumit or Carroll have a whole lot of value and the offers for Willingham probably weren't great in the offseason. If he stays healthy they'll probably get more at the deadline then they would right now.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll also add that while I don't have a problem with the payroll being where it is, I do appreciate that every interview I have heard/read with St. Peter or Ryan this offseason has involved a question (or more) about the payroll. It is good to hold them accountable.
    Papers...business papers.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I'll also add that while I don't have a problem with the payroll being where it is, I do appreciate that every interview I have heard/read with St. Peter or Ryan this offseason has involved a question (or more) about the payroll. It is good to hold them accountable.
    Which they completely miss the point each time, finger pointing at how much the payroll was the past two years, as if spending money on better players doesn't mean you'll be a better team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    holding them accountable would be calling B.S. when they gave B.S. answers. Those kind of carpy answers likely wouldn't fly most anywhere else...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    According to the Twins 50% of revenue formula for payroll, Revenue must be back at Metrodome levels.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Ah, the old "Last year, our payroll was north of $100 million and we lost 95 (sic) games" excuse. Seems logical, the team almost spends what they should be expected to and loses, spending less should surely do the trick.

This is tough, I really like getting these kind of interviews but it's impossible to buy what these guys are saying because the team's actions speak much, much louder. Seriously, I appreciate St. Peter being accessable, but are we to believe that he thinks the team will get off to a "reasonable" enough start to add big talent later in the year? When have they ever done that? Besides why trade prospects for impact players later in the year when you could have signed them without trading prospects in the off season?

So if we lose 90 again this year with 80M payroll....does that excuse another drop of 20M or how does that reasoning work?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So if we lose 90 again this year with 80M payroll....does that excuse another drop of 20M or how does that reasoning work?
    What if all our pitchers get hurt again and its actually the equivalent to a 60M payroll all year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Payroll is gonna drop that much anyway...

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm weird, but I get it. I especially appreciate that they aren't taking the shortcuts and are doing it the right way, through development. As we've talked about, that's how the Nationals did it. They developed a very strong core through the draft and through their farm system. As they got close to competing, they complemented their core with some key acquisitions. The Werth deal made no sense, too much money. But getting Span was great for them and wasn't like it was expensive. They could have spent 4-times as much and just signed Bourn and not lose Meyer. But Span likely makes more sense for them.

The Twins could just trade Willingham and Morneau, but they won't get enough in return to make it worth it, might as well keep them, especially since Willingham has such a good contract.

Nats are a great example. You know how they got Wilson Ramos? Too much to ask for us to start that process ourselves in FA with some of the excess money?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    It works this way--"We finished in last place with $80MM, we can finish last place with $60MM". Eventually, the team will be Joe Mauer and 24 guys who haven't reached their arbitration year--23MM + 24x 0.5MM + 15 x <0.1MM +benefits or nicely under $40MM--The Minnesota Marlins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast