Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Here We Go Again...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good news from the Twins medical staff. Diamond should be out of the wheelchair by the All Star Break.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Good news from the Twins medical staff. Diamond should be out of the wheelchair by the All Star Break.
    Right around the time Harden needs it...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Right around the time Harden needs it...
    Arrangements for Harden's memorial service are still being planned out.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    This kind of backs up all the ideas that some have expressed around here regarding the fact that if you're going to rely on a rotation composed of a bunch of guys coming off arm injuries, you might want to have some contingency plans in place.
    "Plan B" has never been found in the Twins operations manual.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post

At a certain point you have to stop believing word one about what the Twins staff says about an injury. Sigh.
    Right, except that point of certainty left the harbor a couple seasons back...except for the legion of "Yes We Can" fans who continue to enjoy their cruise on the General Bellgrano...Google Image Result for http://www.wrecksite.eu/img/wrecks/general_belgrano_sinking.jpg

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I vote that the Benny Hill theme plays in the background every time a medical update is given.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    According to La Velle, Diamond felt soreness late in the year but thought it was normal. When it was still bothering him during offseason throwing routines, they decided to do the surgery.

Still, kind of weird. Don't all these guys have year-end physicals where this type of stuff is supposed to be caught?
    Perhaps not last year seeing as at the time the Twins were busy firing the head trainer.

I'm still thinking after a second opinion in May, the sore elbow is going to be deemed a misdiagnosis and he actually has a case of appendicitis.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Arrangements for Harden's memorial service are still being planned out.
    That may be taking the 'rest' portion of rest-and-rehabilitation a bit too far.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    These things happen. Twins should start Gibson and then shut him down late in the season. Diamond will take over when he's ready.

I don't believe this is "on the training staff". Pitchers have problems, some just grit their teeth through them, others require agressive treatment.

If you were one of the "winning season" posters, you maybe should revise your estimate for this season's win total.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    According to La Velle, Diamond felt soreness late in the year but thought it was normal. When it was still bothering him during offseason throwing routines, they decided to do the surgery.

Still, kind of weird. Don't all these guys have year-end physicals where this type of stuff is supposed to be caught?
    Yeah, that was exactly my question the other day in the Diamond thread. The parallels to Mauer are significant. Why, only two months out from reporting, are you having surgery? Why isn't this being checked thoroughly nearly three months sooner at the end of the season? It's this sort of thing that really makes me question the competency of our training staff. (Not trying to start a flame war on them, but seriously....you didn't get this taken care of until almost 3 months had passed?)

I get that injuries happen, but are late December surgeries common around the league? Sure doesn't seem like it.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 02-11-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 473 Times in 231 Posts
    They do, I believe they take place at Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    These things happen. Twins should start Gibson and then shut him down late in the season. Diamond will take over when he's ready.

I don't believe this is "on the training staff". Pitchers have problems, some just grit their teeth through them, others require agressive treatment.

If you were one of the "winning season" posters, you maybe should revise your estimate for this season's win total.
    The problem is, that this has happened A LOT that past few years. Lev just kind of hit what I was thinking: "Why, only two months out from reporting, are you having surgery? Why isn't this being checked thoroughly nearly three months sooner at the end of the season?"

We have had a lot of pitchers the past few years getting surgery on their arms closer to Opening Day then they are to the last day of the previous season. It's currently February. Any regular starter could essentially be done playing the previous September 1. The dates here are a bit excessive to illustrate a point, but.. over 4 months since the season ended and you are just now having surgery? To more than one player?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    They do, I believe they take place at Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.
    4098782801_bab8450fda.jpg

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Part of the problem is that pitchers don't throw again after the season until late December. Diamond said he had some soreness but they thought it was a result of the workload of the season.

The injury was bone chips not anything structural. Perhaps a typical trainer/docotr would catch that. Perhaps not. Perhaps it was known but protocol was for rest for a couple months before throwing. If it wasn't caught or addressed in October it wouldn't show up again until he started throwing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Somehow, THIS is still relevant. Even after the numerous trades and free-agent signings...these four are still my best bet to stick long-term.
    That story (link) is from November? Now that is frustrating.
    I am optimistic about Worley, but otherwise the article is still relevent. And excellent. (love the bus)

Hopefully Diamond will be OK. muttermuttermutter.....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    I hope he cleaned that with his napkin!

<p>
    What is the deal with the Twins?</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Diamond has surgery in December and Blackburn in January.&nbsp; Maybe I&#39;m missing something.&nbsp; If these &quot;minor surgeries&quot; are required, why aren&#39;t they done in October or November to&nbsp;give the player (patient) time to recover and be ready for the new season (spring training)?</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Swarzak broke his ribs after Twins fest during horseplay with teammates?&nbsp; Right.</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go4rntwins View Post
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Diamond has surgery in December and Blackburn in January.&nbsp; Maybe I&#39;m missing something.&nbsp; If these &quot;minor surgeries&quot; are required, why aren&#39;t they done in October or November to&nbsp;give the player (patient) time to recover and be ready for the new season (spring training)?</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Swarzak broke his ribs after Twins fest during horseplay with teammates?&nbsp; Right.</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    Those first posts can be tricky
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 2,284 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    Its Ok... Get up... Dust yourself off and try again.

Liked 3,158 Times in 1,351 Posts
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    Tubby? That you?
    Shouldn't you be designing an out-of-bounds play or something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast