Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Olt for Buxton

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    I would consider the trade if they did not have plouffe at third, since Olt is young.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the sense in that trade from either team. Texas is in "win now" mode and would most likely be flipping Olt for major league-ready talent at an area of need. Olt is currently blocked at 3B by Beltre and by all accounts is a good 3B. Here's a quote from KLaw:

"A poor defensive shortstop in college at UConn, Olt has remade himself into a plus defender at third, and he has big raw power that could produce 30-plus bombs a year if he makes enough contact."

If the Twins had no options at 3B I could see the point, but Plouffe needs to be given the opportunity to prove himself. His six weeks or so last year showed he has big-league talent, he just needs to sustain it and not show that it was a fluke. There is no reason, IMHO, the Twins shouldn't allow him that opportunity. The only way the Twins should trade Buxton (when they are allowed to) is to get a SS or SP. In a year or two, if the Twins are turning the corner, I could see including him in a package for a top SP. If the Twins were to trade Buxton to Texas, Andrus is the guy they should be going after.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    These trades simply just don't happen. You trade away a prospect to get an MLB guy. "Challenge trades", as they are called are very rare.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12