Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: More Proof that the Twins Just Don't Care or Aren't Trying Very Hard

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Um, you said something about proof, jokin. In your usual inflammatory, hateful style. Sincere advice: take this thread to a shrink and work through it with this professional. Do this with an honest mind and a softened heart. For your own sake and for the sake of those you affect.
    And yet another "hear no evil, see no evil" shrink offering "sincere" medical advice without a license heard from. In the meantime, Rome continues to burn...

PS I'm struggling to find out what's "hateful" in noticing and identifying the overwhelming forces of inertia that surrounds this team and its obligatory BS-swallowing fanboys.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-11-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    5 pages of thread with three and a half of them Jokin. Someone must be proud of themselves.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I can't get worked up over a player who had an age-26 OPS of .800 in a PCL hitter's haven. Put Drew Butera in Tucson, he'd hit about the same. And anyway upgrading your third-string catcher is about 25th priority on a last place team, and addressing such a need by dumpster-diving for players every other team has passed on is not what I want the team I root for doing unless they think they have spotted a real "pony in the pile".
    And how are you certain of this? Give me examples of guys like Butera, who averaged .582 OPS in 2 years of AAA and then raised their average by .218 points going to the PCL and I will get on board the PCL effect being a valid comparison here.

Again, you over-simplified my analysis, I would like for the Twins to consider all options for upgrade, of which Mauer (eventual positon change), Doumit and Butera are parts of the same puzzle. I certainly don't know if Martinez is the pony in the pile, but it costs virtually nothing to find out. If Herrmann had torn the cover off the ball in September, we might all be looking at this differently. Giving Butera yet another scholarship (with a raise) and deciding to carry on their 40-man roster one catcher entering his 7th minor league year with the club and another catcher entering his 5th year as a minor leaguer- both of whom have not yet reached AAA- is a tad disappointing.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    5 pages of thread with three and a half of them Jokin. Someone must be proud of themselves.
    And someone else, who claims to be wise, must be proud of his content-free snark. Thanks for continuing to advance the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And someone else, who claims to be wise, must be proud of his content-free snark. Thanks for continuing to advance the discussion.
    Did you finally notice that people post one liners on Twins Daily? Discussion implies a give and take of ideas. I shall leave it to your imagination as to what that means.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Then why do you keep coming back here? Somebody forcing you?
    It beats rubechat?plus there is a lot of solid discussion and good posters here, it's the bottom 20% that really drags **** down and makes it almost unreadable at times

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    It beats rubechat?plus there is a lot of solid discussion and good posters here, it's the bottom 20% that really drags **** down and makes it almost unreadable at times
    So these guys go out of their way to create a great site and you keep wishing for sites of old? Seems a bit disrespectful...but whatever

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And you and Dave just demonstrated how easy it is...!

Instead of asking the club to find ways to improve the product, you two laughingly close your eyes and pretend all is well, and, even if it isn't, anyone who offers suggestions to prod this moribund franchise back to life is castigated for caring.
    Caring? Are you saying that those of us with patience to wait out a rebuild don't care? I find the title of this thread insulting. I'm sure that there are those who would like the Twins to emulate the Marlins, or other francises that microwave teams through signing multiple free agents. I think the Twins care about the final product. I remember the "Terrible Twins" headline in Sports Illustrated, back in 1983, when the Twins were rebuilding into a World Series Champion. I remember the 90's when the Twins traded Knoblauch and eventually build a team that competed through the 2000's. Do you remember this? This organization cares. They are taking the right steps to rebuild, and the addition of Terry Steinbach, and the retention of Butera are signs that the organization cares about catching. I agree with others. This is a silly post. If you wanted a reaction, you got it.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Those refreshing, avant-garde homophobe threads really are the stately paragons of robust discussion.
    Last edited by Ultima Ratio; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Indians have signed free agent outfielder Michael Bourn to a four-year, $48 million contract with a vesting option for 2017.

That option vests for $12 million if Bourn reaches 550 plate appearances in 2016. It's another big offseason splash for the Indians, who have also acquired Nick Swisher, Trevor Bauer, Drew Stubbs, Jason Giambi, Mark Reynolds, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw. And they decided to keep shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. Bourn will start in center field for Cleveland and should retain a high level of fantasy value. He hit .274/.348/.391 with nine homers, 57 RBI and 42 steals in 155 games last season for the Braves. The Indians will surrender their 2013 competitive balance pick, which would have been No. 69 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Those refreshing, avant-grade homophobe threads really are the stately paragons of robust discussion.
    Sorry if me calling Torri hunter a homo phone hurt your delicate sensibilities or whatever.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry if me calling Torri hunter a homo phone hurt your delicate sensibilities or whatever.
    Not sure you quoted my post there, but again...whatever

So these guys go out of their way to create a great site and you keep wishing for sites of old? Seems a bit disrespectful...but whatever
    Oh the writing is top notch, it's the forum that has suffered. FWIW I don't fault anyone for trying to make a dollar online which is basically what happened, but it doesn't keep the guy that gave up a great forum immune from criticism because he did so.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Oh the writing is top notch, it's the forum that has suffered. FWIW I don't fault anyone for trying to make a dollar online which is basically what happened, but it doesn't keep the guy that gave up a great forum immune from criticism because he did so.
    You issue seems to be with people being realistic and pissed about what's going on with the team right now...and expressing it.

You issue seems to be with people being realistic and pissed about what's going on with the team right now...and expressing it.
    My issue seems to be jackasses who say "the twins don't care anymore" because they didn't decide to sign a AAA/AAAA player to be their 7th catcher on the 40 man.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My issue seems to be jackasses who say "the twins don't care anymore" because they didn't decide to sign a AAA/AAAA player to be their 7th catcher on the 40 man.
    Or people who say:

'The thing is that they're not even rebuilding, really. Why is Caroll still on this team? Why wasn't Willingham shopped aggressively? What about Perkins?

If you're going to blow it up, then blow it up properly. Don't ride the fence and expect fans to be okay with the decision. I'm fine with going one way or the other. I'm not okay with half-assing both sides and then asking for my money in ticket sales.'

What was your response to that? The poster joining the 'mouth-breathers'? He wrote something you didn't like, and you took a shot..slightly personal shot at him and others (those mouth-breathers) who have expressed the same frustration. Nothing wrong with what he wrote...his opinion, nothing more...but he took a shot at the people responsible for the direction of this team, so you jumped.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-11-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes I am embarrassed to be a MN sports fan and it has nothing to do with the quality of my favorite teams. The venom that gets spewed in these comment sections amaze, me. If the twins had went after every available free agent and signed Greinke, A Sanchez, S Drew, Kelly Johnson and michael Bournemouth would they have won? Was there anyway greinke signs here unless we pay him 30 mil a season? Do any of them Isign here unless we dramatically over pay? So what is the point? What is the difference in winning 66 game vs 78 other than a worse draft pick? These last 2 years have sucked but they are going to bring us Buxton, Barrios, hopefully Manea and most likely another stud in the 2014 draft. If it means having a roster full of studs I will suffer thru a few bad years every decade. i

Or people who say:

'The thing is that they're not even rebuilding, really. Why is Caroll still on this team? Why wasn't Willingham shopped aggressively? What about Perkins?

If you're going to blow it up, then blow it up properly. Don't ride the fence and expect fans to be okay with the decision. I'm fine with going one way or the other. I'm not okay with half-assing both sides and then asking for my money in ticket sales.'

What was your response to that? The poster joining the 'mouth-breathers'? He wrote something you didn't like, and you took a shot..slightly personal shot at him and others (those mouth-breathers) who have expressed the same frustration. Nothing wrong with what he wrote...his opinion, nothing more...but he took a shot at the people responsible for the direction of this team, so you jumped.
    I've known Brock for many years, it was a tongue in cheek "shot" at him if anything. Thanks for jumping from thread to thread to thread to point out one thing I said, it you would also noticed I mentioned (so did someone else) how criticisizing the Twins for not trading Carroll and Willingham (yet) wasn't really warranted, considering they had been shopping Willingham since last season as there have been at least a half dozen reports on such. What is the solution, trade Willingham for a #4 pitcher? What would people say then?

On another note however there are sadly a high number of mouth breathers on this site, look no further then the original poster of this gem of a thread.

Or people who say:

You can't even remember why Willingham and Caroll were added to the team? Hint, the brass thought that 2011 was an abberation. So what should they do with Caroll, just eat the salary? Some team is going to give you a great prospect. for him, right? (Sarcastic if you couldn't tell) Your line of thinking becomes more out there the longer this thread goes on. How is that for adding to the discussion?

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    You can't even remember why Willingham and Caroll were added to the team? Hint, the brass thought that 2011 was an abberation. So what should they do with Caroll, just eat the salary? Some team is going to give you a great prospect. for him, right? (Sarcastic if you couldn't tell) Your line of thinking becomes more out there the longer this thread goes on. How is that for adding to the discussion?
    For someone so wise, you sure have a knack for completely missing someone's point. ThePuck wasn't commenting about Willingham or Carroll. He was commenting about Dave's response to Pig.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast