Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 145

Thread: More Proof that the Twins Just Don't Care or Aren't Trying Very Hard

  1. #101
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,553
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I've known Brock for many years, it was a tongue in cheek "shot" at him if anything. Thanks for jumping from thread to thread to thread to point out one thing I said, it you would also noticed I mentioned (so did someone else) how criticisizing the Twins for not trading Carroll and Willingham (yet) wasn't really warranted, considering they had been shopping Willingham since last season as there have been at least a half dozen reports on such. What is the solution, trade Willingham for a #4 pitcher? What would people say then?

    On another note however there are sadly a high number of mouth breathers on this site, look no further then the original poster of this gem of a thread.
    Congratulations on remaining in continual and constant violation of Twins Dailly decorum and policy, which is icing on the cake and in addition to your constant mistatement of facts and continual inane, site debasing and frequently profane attack and rants that add nothing to the discussion. Well played, sir.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    593
    Like
    10
    Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    For someone so wise, you sure have a knack for completely missing someone's point. ThePuck wasn't commenting about Willingham or Carroll. He was commenting about Dave's response to Pig.
    Hey Jokin, another one of the one line people who add nothing to the discussion. Think of the different posts Jokin has had on the subject of rebuilding. I plead guilty of attempinhg to bait Jokin a little. Instead I get the queen of snark.

  3. #103
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,553
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    My issue seems to be jackasses who say "the twins don't care anymore" because they didn't decide to sign a AAA/AAAA player to be their 7th catcher on the 40 man.
    Of course, yet another complete mistatement of facts.

  4. #104
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,553
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Caring? Are you saying that those of us with patience to wait out a rebuild don't care? I find the title of this thread insulting. I'm sure that there are those who would like the Twins to emulate the Marlins, or other francises that microwave teams through signing multiple free agents. I think the Twins care about the final product. I remember the "Terrible Twins" headline in Sports Illustrated, back in 1983, when the Twins were rebuilding into a World Series Champion. I remember the 90's when the Twins traded Knoblauch and eventually build a team that competed through the 2000's. Do you remember this? This organization cares. They are taking the right steps to rebuild, and the addition of Terry Steinbach, and the retention of Butera are signs that the organization cares about catching. I agree with others. This is a silly post. If you wanted a reaction, you got it.
    I was with you until I reached the boldface type...

    I've been for "rebuild" or "compete now" for quite some time, the Twins are playing a middle ground that has virtually never played out well... and they are demonstrating in real time why it doesn't/

  5. #105
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,483
    Like
    3,481
    Liked 2,998 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Hey Jokin, another one of the one line people who add nothing to the discussion. Think of the different posts Jokin has had on the subject of rebuilding. I plead guilty of attempinhg to bait Jokin a little. Instead I get the queen of snark.
    Another swing and miss. You're down 0-2 in the count. Shorten up and punch one to right.

  6. #106
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I was with you until I reached the boldface type...

    I've been for "rebuild" or "compete now" for quite some time, the Twins are playing a middle ground that has virtually never played out well... and they are demonstrating in real time why it doesn't/
    So adding a AAA catcher is rebuilding or compete now sort of move?

  7. #107
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Another swing and miss. You're down 0-2 in the count. Shorten up and punch one to right.
    Wise Guy did not miss on the assessment of you. More scintillating reading courtesy of the two of you.

  8. #108
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,995
    Like
    4,289
    Liked 688 Times in 360 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    My brothers, I just started a poll to see how many of would be willing to commit to laying off the personal attacks for a while.

    I love all of you. We are fellow Twins fans for God's sake. Please at least consider that we might all have more fun if we could argue passionately, but as brothers not feuders.

  9. #109
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,701
    Like
    7
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    People have a lot more courage on anonymous message boards.

  10. #110
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    You can't even remember why Willingham and Caroll were added to the team? Hint, the brass thought that 2011 was an abberation. So what should they do with Caroll, just eat the salary? Some team is going to give you a great prospect. for him, right? (Sarcastic if you couldn't tell) Your line of thinking becomes more out there the longer this thread goes on. How is that for adding to the discussion?
    'Your line of thinking becomes more out there the longer this thread goes on. How is that for adding to the discussion?'

    Wasn't MY line of thinking...why don't you read the post again...notice I started with: Or people say:. Notice after that, I put the statement in quotes? Notice in paragraph 3 I wrote, 'HE wrote something you didn't like,' That 'something' being what you're attributing to me. If that wasn't obvious that it wasn't me saying all that, and it should have been, Dave's followup should have made it even clearer.

    As far as your argument goes though...yeah they got Willingham, Doumit and Carroll, and saved some money...but they lost Nathan, Cuddy and Kubel...and did nothing with the saved money. Let's not act as if they added onto the 2011 team without losing some key players....
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.

  11. #111
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,985
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,498 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Everyone, tone it down or this thread gets locked and we start handing out temporary bans.

  12. #112
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,682
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,322
    Liked 1,825 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Everyone, tone it down or this thread gets locked and we start handing out temporary bans.
    IMHO, this thread should've gotten locked from the start. The title alone only begs the response it got. It didn't take much to know how things were going to 'evolve' in here. I rarely comment on this site, but I read most everything, and maybe I should have just stayed away from this thread as I knew how it would be. But even in a bad thread, occasionally is something good to get from it. Not the case in here. This is more frustrating than the current shape of the Twins.

  13. #113
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,985
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,498 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    IMHO, this thread should've gotten locked from the start. The title alone only begs the response it got. It didn't take much to know how things were going to 'evolve' in here. I rarely comment on this site, but I read most everything, and maybe I should have just stayed away from this thread as I knew how it would be. But even in a bad thread, occasionally is something good to get from it. Not the case in here. This is more frustrating than the current shape of the Twins.
    I didn't read through the thread until this morning. Ugh. I should have clicked in a few days ago.

  14. #114
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,036
    Like
    1,761
    Liked 1,222 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I didn't read through the thread until this morning. Ugh. I should have clicked in a few days ago.
    So in other words, you just didn't care or weren't trying very hard?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  15. #115
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,985
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,498 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    So in other words, you just didn't care or weren't trying very hard?
    Both?

  16. #116
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,036
    Like
    1,761
    Liked 1,222 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Both?
    Well there it is, proof.



    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  17. #117
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Everyone, tone it down or this thread gets locked and we start handing out temporary bans.
    Ohh, is that like a merit badge? I want one.

  18. #118
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,553
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    So adding a AAA catcher is rebuilding or compete now sort of move?
    JR Towles, who has a AAA career .770 OPS, was brought in last year to provide a little Spring Training competition amongst the back-end catchers, and ultimately providing depth at AAA. Obviously, it didn't work out as well as the Twins FO had hoped, but at least they tried to make a move last year to make the team better in this area. If you read the thread, I pointed out that having a catcher that might potentially provide more than Butera's lifetime OPS of .497, just might make the Twins more amenable to moving Doumit if a favorable trade opportunity came along. Hermann appears to need a year at AAA and it costs virtually nothing to bring in a Towles or Martinez-type and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle over the interim, and if by some chance it works out, you potentially get a guy 2 years younger than Butera, who has a fighting chance of being better than Butera.

  19. #119
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    JR Towles, who has a AAA career .770 OPS, was brought in last year to provide a little Spring Training competition amongst the back-end catchers, and ultimately providing depth at AAA. Obviously, it didn't work out as well as the Twins FO had hoped, but at least they tried to make a move last year to make the team better in this area. If you read the thread, I pointed out that having a catcher that might potentially provide more than Butera's lifetime OPS of .497, just might make the Twins more amenable to moving Doumit if a favorable trade opportunity came along. Hermann appears to need a year at AAA and it costs virtually nothing to bring in a Towles or Martinez-type and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle over the interim, and if by some chance it works out, you potentially get a guy 2 years younger than Butera, who has a fighting chance of being better than Butera.
    You would need by your scenario then for Martinez to replace Doumit, not Butera. To think that is possible is a stretch of the imagination. In 2 stretches in the majors nor 5 years in the minors there would be nothing there showing power. Martinez lifetime ops in 32 major league games is .536. Career major and minor league home runs, 5
    Last edited by old nurse; 02-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.

  20. #120
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,553
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You would need by your scenario then for Martinez to replace Doumit, not Butera. To think that is possible is a stretch of the imagination. In 2 stretches in the majors nor 5 years in the minors there would be nothing there showing power. Martinez lifetime ops in 32 major league games is .536. Career major and minor league home runs, 5
    No. You read my scenario wrong, Doumit was always a part of my original hypothesis. Eventually, to reiterate, the Twins will have to return to a 2-catcher configuration. If Doumit becomes attractive to another team this year in ST or before the deadline, they need someone that hits better than Butera to be the #2. The number 3 becomes (already is?) superfluous. (Hopefully, #2 eventually becomes Hermann, but there is little evidence that he would be ready for that pure #2 role before 2014). Your quote on Martinez ML OPS is classic SSS. Besides that, go and read my original post, it was more intent on Twins inertia than the player in question himself. My statement clearly says signing "someone like Martinez", who at least has demonstrated that he at least "might" hit better than Butera's career .497 OPS. That the Twins are satisfied with this crazy 3-catcher scenario and unnecessary love affair with Butera and his raise to $700K, with an already incredibly weak bench, is another sign that the Twins need to try harder and expect more
    Last edited by jokin; 02-15-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.