Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mason previews the Twins starting rotation

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Interesting article.

If Diamond does not regress very much and Worley is healthy, that gives the Twins two solid starters. Then we can hope for two or three of the eight other candidates to step up -- Correia, Gibson, Hendriks, Blackburn, De Vries, Walters, Deduno, and Pelfrey.

I like the fact that the Twins have 10 guys who might be solid starters this year. If only 40% of them are solid, then we could move up relative to other teams. Yes, it is very unlikely that the Twins starters will be near the top of the AL, but I feel that there is reason to hope that they can move up to the middle of the pack.
    Whoa...I thought I was optimistic. We have 10 guys that could be "solid"?? No way. Unless we have a very different definition of "solid."

If you replace "solid" with "average", then I could see your point of view. But no way do we have any potential for an above average rotation. No chance.

"Solid" means productive, when referring to a ball player. We have 10 very "below average" candidates for our "Ace" role. haha
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-12-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    It's more something not-to-be-fatalist about. Yeah, we certainly could suck - but you can't say we certainly will suck.
    We certainly will suck in 2013. And there is a 1 in 4 chance of error on that statement.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Whoa...I thought I was optimistic. We have 10 guys that could be "solid"?? No way. Unless we have a very different definition of "solid."

If you replace "solid" with "average", then I could see your point of view. But no way do we have any potential for an above average rotation. No chance.

"Solid" means productive, when referring to a ball player. We have 10 very "below average" candidates for our "Ace" role. haha
    Yeah unfortunately out of that group Gibson is the only guy who best case scenario could project higher then a #3 (I still think his ceiling is as a good #2, which is at least a start). At this point you sorta hope that Diamond and Worley can both be legit #3 type guys and Hendriks and Pelfrey can be #4 guys. Nobody else really interests me other then Harden and he is a long shot anyways, the rest of the guys IMO will be up and down throughout the year, maybe one will stick as a#5 guy, Correia? But I'm not holding my breath to be honest.

At least we have some arms this year, now they just gotta stay healthy.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Because a (by your account) less than 1 in 4 chance of the rotation not being terrible is something to get excited about?
    Meh, I mean its hope, gotta roll with something to get us through the first couple weeks of the season, after that the crushing reality may very well set in, but it would be nice to get off to a bit of a nice start to keep the delusional homers like my self appeased.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do not think this rotation will be average. We can hope for a collective ERA of about 4.50 That would be better than last year, now if we can score enough runs to make us competetive with that starting ERA. For that we would need at least a couple of the question marks to come through(CF, RF, SS,2B,3B). Make that at least 3 to 4 of the question marks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12