Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Scouting with Sean Johnson

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 803 Times in 506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with them scouting Buxton, my point was that BPA is a rather fluid argument that is very much in the eye of the beholder. They weren't passing up on a no-brainer like Strassburg to get Buxton, and I'd add that had they taken Gausman, they weren't passing up the next Bryce Harper in Buxton... Both have nice ceilings, one was A LOT closer to it than the other (i.e. much less risk), filled a position of desparate need, and would have been on a timeline that would have corresponded with the next wave of prospects...

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins believe in BPA, but slotted their board according to BVA (value). Appel high in talent, low on value. My guess is if Buxton was gone the Twins were taking Correa or Gausman.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    I agree that BPA is fluid in this past draft and Buxton wasn't a Harper/Strasburg case. I would have no problem if you argued gausman, appel, correa, or several other prospects as better draft choices. The fact is the front office knows we are deep in outfielders, lack ready impact pitchers, but still took Buxton. This should tell you something. Maybe it tells you our scouts are morons but I think it just says how much they love Buxton. As a arm chair gm Im in no place to judge them. Our jobs aren't on the line, there's are.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    ... The fact is the front office knows we are deep in outfielders, lack ready impact pitchers, but still took Buxton. This should tell you something.
    Agree. I read at least two articles by scouts or analysts who said (prior to the draft) that Buxton should be the first player taken.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234