Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Scouting with Sean Johnson

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    The questions I would have liked to have seen is: How does a player like Bryce Harper fall so far in the draft and then become a superstar?? How come so many teams, including the Twins, passed on him?
    You're talking about the Bryce Harper that made the cover of ESPN at age 17, left high school early so he could play with a wooden bat, and went as the #1 overall pick for a record amount of money? You mean that Bryce Harper?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    What. The. ****?
    The Twins could have moved him to Venezuela as a 14 year old, put him in blackface, taught him a few words in Spanish, and then signed him as an international free agent.

Another classic example of this franchise's inability to think outside the box.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    The questions I would have liked to have seen is: How does a player like Bryce Harper fall so far in the draft and then become a superstar?? How come so many teams, including the Twins, passed on him?
    Must mean Mike Trout.....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    My guess is Tom Brady.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I'm most disappointed that the Twins failed to sign Zach Parise.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Screwed that one up didn't I??!! SI had a good article on him awhile back, how 24 other teams passed on him, now the Angels have a budding superstar. Goes to show how much of a crap shoot the draft really is.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm most disappointed that the Twins failed to sign Zach Parise.
    I hear they've really made it clear they are "very interested" in signing Diana Taurasi, though.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    I hear they've really made it clear they are "very interested" in signing Diana Taurasi, though.
    It'll all boil down to dollars and years.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If my memory serves me, Trout's senior year was limited by a lot of rain and guys had a hard time seeing him play. The scout that signed him had a connection to Trout's dad, so he was on him more than others. Trout would have been a guy that Twins would have been high on - toolsy, but that was also the year Gibson fell into the Twins laps. It's hard to blame them when they got a guy that was considered a top-5 talent just weeks before the draft.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

Glad to hear the truth from an insider.
    Self-deprecating irony or accidentally walking into that joke?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And how lax the Minnesota DUI laws might be.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    She has to want to come to MN. Sometimes you just can't give away your money.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 42 Posts
    Thanks for the article, good stuff on the draft. I especially appreciated the section where he compared their strategy to Houston and Toronto. I was happy to hear they at least considered different strategies on how to spread the money around. I still think Buxton was the right call and like some of the other picks as well.

As far as Ryan's role is concerned, I remember an interview from a couple of months ago where he answered a couple of questions on the draft and basically said he knows enough to be dangerous, that he might see a guy once or twice and makes a point not to have that shape his opinion or to try and influence the decisions that are made. It makes sense he would be in the room but I have doubts he does much in terms of making decisions. But the ultimate responsibility of draft performance rests with him.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I'm confident that someone like Terry Ryan is very sensitive to the fact that with his scouting background it would be very easy to be seen as running roughshod over the guys actually doing the work now - careful not to start too many comments with "well, back when *I* was scouting...". On the other hand, I still find it difficult to accept that there is no difference ("regardless of who"), in how draft day plays out when a Bill Smith is in the big chair versus when Terry Ryan is - Smith will certainly defer to exactly whatever his chief of scouting recommends, Ryan would by contrast... what? The discussion as the rankings are constructed the day before the draft would have to be colored in some way by his take on how to synthesize all the information into a strong and cohesive draft for that year, and as draft day itself unfolds I could imagine a glance across the room to Ryan, where even a shrug of the shoulders saying "use your judgement" means more than not even looking in Smith's direction to make each call.
    I think this is an interesting idea, but I would still think that the synthesizing of information into a strong and cohesive draft is the role of the scouting director. Ryan is most likely there to observe, make sure that the process is acceptable, and possibly to bounce ideas off. I would be surprised if he does much to help formulate the strategy for the draft since he would have such minimal observation of players.
    Papers...business papers.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The example that Sean used about TR helping was that he'd help take the tags off the board when guys are selected. So we're talking minimal involvement. The draft is a big deal and GMs are interested, he said its likely the same in every baseball city in America. The draft room is across from St. Peter's office and near Ryan's so a lot of guys will drop in, though the decisions are in the hands of few.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I would be surprised if he does much to help formulate the strategy for the draft since he would have such minimal observation of players.
    A lot of people prefer to draft the best available player in the first round (particularly a high pick) rather than draft for need, but after that first pick or two you can draft for need without too much compromise. If the GM feels the system overall is short on pitching, he will want the strategy to address that in the early to middle rounds. Maybe this will be obvious to the scouting director as well, but I would expect the GM would make sure everyone is one the same (namely, HIS) page on this. I think that's what we saw with the Twins in 2012. Maybe I'm a little too fanciful in guessing about body language from the big guy on draft day; I was drawing a contrast to the Bill Smith years when I would bet he had zero impact on the dynamics of draft day itself. The scouting team admires and trusts Terry Ryan and vice versa, and I can't help believing it matters on draft day.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That seems good in theory, but BPA gets pretty hazy once pretty quick. Sickles graded Gausman at an A- with Buxton at a B+. Given that, I'd say Gausman was the BPA but he was skipped. My concern with this idea is that BPA is often fluid. I'm not convinced Buxton was the BPA, and he certainly was not what the Twins needed. The Twins didn't pass up Steven Strasburg or Bryce Harper to pick Buxton, but they did pass some very good options. They passed up several pitchers with a 1/2 ceiling that could have helped them in 2014 in favor of a very raw OF with a high ceiling that won't be helping any time soon.

Need has to be considered, espeically given the fact that after the first round, your likelihood of finding that special player that fills the need drops too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Twins are completely clueless. Hell, they don't even own laptops.

Great article, Jeremy! I love the incite into the scouting by professional sports teams.

Does anyone else think it's crazy that the scouts only "turn in 900" guys when 1500 guys are drafted? That's 40% of the draft! Did they see those guys and just didn't like them so they don't waste time ranking them for their room? Or are there players they never see?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    While sickles graded gausman higher law, mayo, and BA graded Buxton higher. Does this mean sickles was wrong? Of Course not. Only time will tell.

Everyone, especially the front office, knows we need pitching NOW. Everyone, especially the front office again, knows we have outfield depth on all levels from low A to the bigs. Even knowing the depth the front office still takes a toolsy HS outfielder over a college arm. What does that tell you about how they, not sickles or law or mayo or BA, sees Buxton?

The twins spent a ton of time/money scouting and in the end Buxton was the guy. I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not sure why so many of you aren't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast