Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Draft Targets

  1. #1

    Draft Targets

    So who do you guys think the Twins are targeting in the draft?

    Despite being a Boras client, I'd love to see the Twins draft Appel if they get the chance. I think he could make a quick jump to the Majors, something this rotation could use.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    So who do you guys think the Twins are targeting in the draft?

    Despite being a Boras client, I'd love to see the Twins draft Appel if they get the chance. I think he could make a quick jump to the Majors, something this rotation could use.
    In this order
    Manaea
    Appel
    Stanek
    Frazier/Meadows/Trey Ball (toss up, both have similar ceilings)

    I have seen Meadows/Frazier/Ball personally. I will hopefully be seeing Manaea at the MVC tourney in May. I will be shooting 3 games of baseball over a 3 day span with my brother, and hopefully he will be pitching in the day cap. Ball is the wildcard because he is above average as a pitcher as well as hitter/outfielder. I like Frazier more than Meadows. He has a much more fluent swing than Meadows and Ball.
    I have photos of several of these guys in here
    UA All American game | Facebook
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,674
    Like
    297
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    It's pretty early but I agree with your opinion on Appel. I would be very happy if he fell to us at #4.

  4. #4
    Also, follow up question. Last year's draft seemed to be a very solid group of top end prospects, as well as quality depth. What is the early report on draft depth this year?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    781
    Like
    38
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Early reports are this is a done year again but there is still a whole season to play and alot can change.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    310
    Like
    36
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    The Twins in the past, have favored guys who do well in the Cape Cod League. Manaea did excellent there, so I'm guessing their early scouting reports are high on the lefty. The Twins minors don't have a lot of strong Lefty starters either, might be there number one need right now. The Twins will probably go with BPA with their 1st round pick, BUT all things being equal, The Twins system is low on good catchers right now and one of the drafts strength is prep catchers. As the college season starts up, look for smoke coming from the Astros, Cubs, and Rockies. The Cubs wanting Almora was leaked pretty early last year, but The Astro wanting Correa wasn't known till Bud got to the podium.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Too early to tell. Give it another 3 months
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    Also, follow up question. Last year's draft seemed to be a very solid group of top end prospects, as well as quality depth. What is the early report on draft depth this year?
    This year the tiers are as follows
    Tier 1: Anyone of these 5 guys could be selected #1.
    Manaea/Apple/Stanek (All 3 are pitchers that project as #2's)
    Frazier/Meadows: Both are outfielders with High Ceilings, it is a toss up who is better.
    Tier 2
    Khris Bryant,Trey Ball,Austin Wilson,JP Crawford,Oscar Mercado,Mike Lorenzen/Colin Moran
    Trey Ball is the wildcard, as he is just a good pitcher as he is hitter. Mercado and Crawford are Pure shortstops who project as big league caliber, to bat at the top of the order. Both of them should be gone by 20.
    One guy to keep an eye on is Jan Hernandez, who has earned comparisons to Baez, but lacks consistency.

    Overall, I think that the Twins will take a catcher in Round 2. They should have their choice between Ciuffo,Martinez,Navaretto (has a cannon), Denney ,Collins. The prep catchers is an interesting position this year, before the UA All American game, Collins was projected to be a top 10 pick, since then he has fallen off.
    But don't get me wrong, this years draft is VERY WEAK. 2014 is looking pretty strong with the likes of Alex Jackson and Touki Toussant .
    Last edited by jtrinaldi; 02-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  9. #9
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    So if this is a weak draft and next years is stronger, would it make sense to make a low ball offer to our 1 pick and next year recieve the 5th pick? add in a qualifing off to justin and we end up with 3 picks in the first 35 in 2014?

    If not then i agree Appel or Manaea as our 1st pick , and then a prep catcher,as there is a handful who project very high ,add in that they will be ready for the majors about the time Mauers contract is up...

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,772
    Like
    661
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    The problem with Appel is he might improve the team before 2015

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    So if this is a weak draft and next years is stronger, would it make sense to make a low ball offer to our 1 pick and next year recieve the 5th pick? add in a qualifing off to justin and we end up with 3 picks in the first 35 in 2014?

    If not then i agree Appel or Manaea as our 1st pick , and then a prep catcher,as there is a handful who project very high ,add in that they will be ready for the majors about the time Mauers contract is up...
    This draft is much weaker than last year. Next years draft is much improved. After the top 5 of this year, there is a HUGE drop off, unless Ball establishes whether he is a pitcher or a hitter. The top 5 guys are likely to be drafted within the top 5, barring injury. If I were the Twins, I would not reach at all this year (for the prime SS like Mercado or Crawford) and take the BPA.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    781
    Like
    38
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The problem with Appel is he might improve the team before 2015
    Talk about optimistic...IF he falls to us and IF he flies through the system he MIGHT improve the team before 2015. YIKES

  13. #13
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,914
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    177
    I'll have a post up sometime this weekend that addresses some of these questions. Sorry its only a teaser, but it will be worth it to check back, I promise.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,674
    Like
    297
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    So if this is a weak draft and next years is stronger, would it make sense to make a low ball offer to our 1 pick and next year recieve the 5th pick? add in a qualifing off to justin and we end up with 3 picks in the first 35 in 2014?

    If not then i agree Appel or Manaea as our 1st pick , and then a prep catcher,as there is a handful who project very high ,add in that they will be ready for the majors about the time Mauers contract is up...
    A lost pick is pretty costly. Even if we get the #5 pick next year, the team loses a year of player development waiting for that pick. Plus, if we don't sign the #4 pick, we lose that money in our draft slot, so the Twins would spend 4.8m (or so) less this year which could affect later picks. Buxton signed for 200,000 under slot and I believe the Twins spread that around for later picks. There would be no guarantee that the Pohlad's would spend all of a draft pool that included two top 5 picks (and could be over 15m).

    I also think it's very unlikely that the Twins get a pick out of Morneau. I think it's far more likely that he gets traded at the deadline. If we end up holding on to him and he has a good season, I could see us offering him arbitration but I think he'd probably take it. Not a lot of teams would want to pony up that kind of deal with his injury history and lose a pick. Or, with our luck, the Yanks would sign him and another type A free agent and we'd get stuck with their 2nd round pick instead.

    Additionally, it is way too early to worry about the depth of this (or next years) draft class. We'll draft high in both. At this time last year, Buxton was considered a top 20 pick but not the best talent. Zimmer really improved his draft stock as did guys like Correia and Berrios in Puerto Rico. Max Fried kept climbing til draft day. And one of the consensus top picks was Devon Marrero who dropped to the Red Sox at #24 (and struggled a bit in low A).

  15. #15
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    A lost pick is pretty costly. Even if we get the #5 pick next year, the team loses a year of player development waiting for that pick. Plus, if we don't sign the #4 pick, we lose that money in our draft slot, so the Twins would spend 4.8m (or so) less this year which could affect later picks. Buxton signed for 200,000 under slot and I believe the Twins spread that around for later picks. There would be no guarantee that the Pohlad's would spend all of a draft pool that included two top 5 picks (and could be over 15m).

    I also think it's very unlikely that the Twins get a pick out of Morneau. I think it's far more likely that he gets traded at the deadline. If we end up holding on to him and he has a good season, I could see us offering him arbitration but I think he'd probably take it. Not a lot of teams would want to pony up that kind of deal with his injury history and lose a pick. Or, with our luck, the Yanks would sign him and another type A free agent and we'd get stuck with their 2nd round pick instead.

    Additionally, it is way too early to worry about the depth of this (or next years) draft class. We'll draft high in both. At this time last year, Buxton was considered a top 20 pick but not the best talent. Zimmer really improved his draft stock as did guys like Correia and Berrios in Puerto Rico. Max Fried kept climbing til draft day. And one of the consensus top picks was Devon Marrero who dropped to the Red Sox at #24 (and struggled a bit in low A).
    agreeing on most of it,but as for arbitration justin is not eligible or bound to, i always like to think out side the box even if i return to inside the lines,with the number 4 pick we should acquire a very decent player

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,241
    Like
    105
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Next year's draft? Don't worry folks--the Twins will be selecting early. The question is: will they be selecting the best player for the team?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    A lost pick is pretty costly. Even if we get the #5 pick next year, the team loses a year of player development waiting for that pick. Plus, if we don't sign the #4 pick, we lose that money in our draft slot, so the Twins would spend 4.8m (or so) less this year which could affect later picks. Buxton signed for 200,000 under slot and I believe the Twins spread that around for later picks. There would be no guarantee that the Pohlad's would spend all of a draft pool that included two top 5 picks (and could be over 15m).

    I also think it's very unlikely that the Twins get a pick out of Morneau. I think it's far more likely that he gets traded at the deadline. If we end up holding on to him and he has a good season, I could see us offering him arbitration but I think he'd probably take it. Not a lot of teams would want to pony up that kind of deal with his injury history and lose a pick. Or, with our luck, the Yanks would sign him and another type A free agent and we'd get stuck with their 2nd round pick instead.

    Additionally, it is way too early to worry about the depth of this (or next years) draft class. We'll draft high in both. At this time last year, Buxton was considered a top 20 pick but not the best talent. Zimmer really improved his draft stock as did guys like Correia and Berrios in Puerto Rico. Max Fried kept climbing til draft day. And one of the consensus top picks was Devon Marrero who dropped to the Red Sox at #24 (and struggled a bit in low A).
    Buxton was never as low as 20. Buxton was always top 5 with Giolito (before injury),Appel, and Zunino. Zimmer is the one who came out of the blue, and Devin Marrero dropped after a horrid start to the season.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,674
    Like
    297
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Buxton was never as low as 20. Buxton was always top 5 with Giolito (before injury),Appel, and Zunino. Zimmer is the one who came out of the blue, and Devin Marrero dropped after a horrid start to the season.
    You might be right. BA had him in there top four as early as Aug 2011. (BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Chat: Jim Callis Chat: Aug. 31) A bleacher report had him a bit lower. 2012 MLB Draft: Deven Marrero, Kevin Gausman and 25 Names You Need To Know | Bleacher Report (Buxton being a top 15 pick isn't out of the realm of possibility)

    Anyhow, the point was that the draft will change a lot over the next few months as some players skyrocket and others slip.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    You might be right. BA had him in there top four as early as Aug 2011. (BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Chat: Jim Callis Chat: Aug. 31) A bleacher report had him a bit lower. 2012 MLB Draft: Deven Marrero, Kevin Gausman and 25 Names You Need To Know | Bleacher Report (Buxton being a top 15 pick isn't out of the realm of possibility)

    Anyhow, the point was that the draft will change a lot over the next few months as some players skyrocket and others slip.
    I am just confused why you are bringing August up. This is your quote . "This point last year", is not August.
    At this time last year, Buxton was considered a top 20 pick but not the best talent.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,674
    Like
    297
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    I am just confused why you are bringing August up. This is your quote . "This point last year", is not August.
    Guess I wasn't quite as literal as my words

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.