Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    anti-social powder kegs of rage
    The name for my next rock band.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The name for my next rock band.
    Fans will just shorten it to A.S.P.K.R. Then people will end up calling your band Asp-ker. It would be an inevitable unfortunate progression that you couldn't stop once the train got rolling.

Call your next Rock Band... "Bandwith Problems"

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    There is an easy way to respond if you are that upset -don't spend any money on the team! That will actually get their attention.
    Yeah....because that will help my team get better. That's exactly the fear all of us should have - this front office is cutting dollars out of the talent and simultaneously cutting future dollars out of their pocket.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    I cannot find the word (lying) anywhere in my post.

I simply asked a question.

I guess, throwing out some personal insults is easier then answering the question.
    I wasn't referring to your post, which was a fair (if ultimately meaningless) question.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    I was going to complain about all the complaining but then I'd be complaining about the people complaining about the complainers so I won't.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    And then you will complain about all of it, whether it happened or not. And that is the nature of you.

Ok, just kidding, but is it really so terrible to put Gibson in Rochester to start the year? He's coming off an arm rebuild, has all of 100 innings in AAA, and with the exception of a nice K rate, kind of got his butt kicked there. I think he'll be good, but probably not in April or May. I'll take an extra year of team-controlled prime, even though he's already reached the ripe old age of 25.

And as not interested as I was in Saunders, Joe > Kevin in their careers so far.

If you agree with Ryan's decision to blow smoke up the ticket base's tail pipe, that's fine, it makes sense from a 'what's he gonna say, "we'll get some scrubs and suck again"?' standpoint. But why can't you make that point without making out the people who don't care for the liquid fertilizer sales pitch out to be anti-social powder kegs of rage?
    I would not be that offended if Gibson started in the minors but I don't think it's a requirement. If he is as good as we hope he is he should be locked up before he hits free agency.

I have no problem with the position that Saunders is better than Correia, but I don't think it is much of a difference. I didn't especially want either of them.

For your last point that is fine, but you are basically asking Ryan to do the impossible. The Twins are still a business, they have to sell some hope to maintain a season ticket base and a renewal of corporate sponsors. If a savvy fan of the type that are found on this message board gets roped in by a few throwaway lines at a season ticket holder function that's their problem. They just had 63 and 66 win seasons, I can't imagine how people could have such high expectations for this offseason.

I personally saw them doing the following this offseason:
    -trade for a pitcher. Worley fits that bill.
    -sign a free agent that will provide stable innings. They chose Correia. I definitely preferred McCarthy and/or Marcum, but generally see the rest of the guys who signed one or two year deals as more or less the same. I didn't want the contracts of anyone that signed for more than two years.
    -sign a guy coming off an injury. I thought it would be Baker but I see Pelfrey as an acceptable alternative.
    -sign a minor league contract or two. Harden, a few bullpen arms.
    -trade if value is there. They did fine on Span and great on Revere.
    -plug another guy or two on one year deals depending on the market. This hasn't exactly worked out, but as fans we don't have great information on this.

I always saw this year as a consolidation year, 2014 as the movement year and 2015 as the year they compete in the Central. I didn't really care what Ryan said to sell tickets. I don't agree with all the moves (mostly Correia), but I'm more or less satisfied with the offseason.
    Papers...business papers.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Fans will just shorten it to A.S.P.K.R. Then people will end up calling your band Asp-ker. It would be an inevitable unfortunate progression that you couldn't stop once the train got rolling.

Call your next Rock Band... "Bandwith Problems"
    Of Rage.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    OMG, how slow is an offseason when we cry and wine about NOT signing something called Joe Saunders. Get a life people. You would have been mad if we did sign him becaus we spent too much. Pessimists are the worst humans on earth and it sucks that I as a Twins fan, am grouped with you.
    You're welcome to disconnect from the Internet at any point in time.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    You're welcome to disconnect from the Internet at any point in time.
    I would wonder if you got up on the wrong side of the bed since the posts of yours I d see tend to be derisive comments with no real addition to the knowledge or initial subject of the thread. Then I looked at your avatar and realized you probably just need to get out of your shell and grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I would wonder if you got up on the wrong side of the bed since the posts of yours I d see tend to be derisive comments with no real addition to the knowledge or initial subject of the thread. Then I looked at your avatar and realized you probably just need to get out of your shell and grow up.
    Does Twins Daily stand for a new way "daily" for some to insult people who aren't currently parking their lawn chair in downtown Minneapolis for the October World Series parade?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    OMG, how slow is an offseason when we cry and wine about NOT signing something called Joe Saunders. Get a life people. You would have been mad if we did sign him becaus we spent too much. Pessimists are the worst humans on earth and it sucks that I as a Twins fan, am grouped with you.
    The initial post was completely void of knowledge or quantifiable subject matter, thus it deserved all the derision it deserved.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Given the content of the post I was responding to, and the response from others to his little rant, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The Twins just can't give away their money, it seems. I think I heard that somewhere before, too.
    amy farrah fowler sure blossumed

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If it helps, feel free to consider yourself not grouped with me.
    Can i add my name to that petition? not to be grouped with the rose color glass wearing koolaid guzzling fans
    I love MY Minnesota Twins almost as much as i do MY country USA, just not always happy with leadership
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 02-08-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Banned All-Star
    I'm mostly with you. The Twins missed out on a lefthanded Kevin Correia and people are upset. I personally would have been upset if they went two years and that is what it would have taken.

If they signed Saunders in December people would have bitched. If they signed someone else people would have bitched. If they sign no one people bitch. It's the nature of a message board.
    As i read this i only see

blah blah blah BITCHblah blah BITCH blah BITCH

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Given the content of the post I was responding to, and the response from others to his little rant, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
    I doubt you would. But wouldn't it have been more prudent just to ignore a post than tell someone to go away? Or is it there is only one uniform message allowed here ?

I doubt you would. But wouldn't it have been more prudent just to ignore a post than tell someone to go away? Or is it there is only one uniform message allowed here ?
    Wouldn't that be good advice for the original post? No one is shouting down his optimism, some reading comprehension may be a "wise" move.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Does Twins Daily stand for a new way "daily" for some to insult people who aren't currently parking their lawn chair in downtown Minneapolis for the October World Series parade?
    Coming from you, that is funny. Could not one contend from most of your posts that Twins Daily stands for if you don't agree with Leviathan then you are an idiot. Then the threads run down a path of bickering.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I would not be that offended if Gibson started in the minors but I don't think it's a requirement. If he is as good as we hope he is he should be locked up before he hits free agency.

I have no problem with the position that Saunders is better than Correia, but I don't think it is much of a difference. I didn't especially want either of them.

For your last point that is fine, but you are basically asking Ryan to do the impossible. The Twins are still a business, they have to sell some hope to maintain a season ticket base and a renewal of corporate sponsors. If a savvy fan of the type that are found on this message board gets roped in by a few throwaway lines at a season ticket holder function that's their problem. They just had 63 and 66 win seasons, I can't imagine how people could have such high expectations for this offseason.

I personally saw them doing the following this offseason:
    -trade for a pitcher. Worley fits that bill.
    -sign a free agent that will provide stable innings. They chose Correia. I definitely preferred McCarthy and/or Marcum, but generally see the rest of the guys who signed one or two year deals as more or less the same. I didn't want the contracts of anyone that signed for more than two years.
    -sign a guy coming off an injury. I thought it would be Baker but I see Pelfrey as an acceptable alternative.
    -sign a minor league contract or two. Harden, a few bullpen arms.
    -trade if value is there. They did fine on Span and great on Revere.
    -plug another guy or two on one year deals depending on the market. This hasn't exactly worked out, but as fans we don't have great information on this.

I always saw this year as a consolidation year, 2014 as the movement year and 2015 as the year they compete in the Central. I didn't really care what Ryan said to sell tickets. I don't agree with all the moves (mostly Correia), but I'm more or less satisfied with the offseason.

Some of us must have been dumb and delusional to believe that a serious effort was going to be made to improve the Product. There is only so much you can do with 27 million dollars.

"Stupid is as stupid does" Forrest Gump 6/23/94

Last edited by Highabove; 02-08-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Coming from you, that is funny. Could not one contend from most of your posts that Twins Daily stands for if you don't agree with Leviathan then you are an idiot. Then the threads run down a path of bickering.
    You can contend whatever you'd like. I guess I'll just have to bask in the wisdom of criticizing people whose post you don't agree with because they were criticizing a post they don't agree with. I mean, if you're ok with ridiculous hypocrisy and all.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast