Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Twins Have Interest in Brignac

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Heyman: Twins Have Interest in Brignac

Reid Brignac, recently DFA'd by Tampa plays all over 2B, SS, 3B and OF. Is he potential upgrade to Escobar? Is he worth a look?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We were discussing this on the Dozier thread. I'd definitely give him a shot. Why not?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like another Gordon Beckham prospect bust to me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Reid Brignac, recently DFA'd by Tampa plays all over 2B, SS, 3B and OF. Is he potential upgrade to Escobar? Is he worth a look?
    He's not only a potential upgrade to Escobar, but he's also a potential upgrade to Florimon. That's not saying a whole lot, but if the Twins get the chance to pick Brignac up they should.

All the rhetoric coming out of the Twins camp during the offseason is that they're in love with Florimon and he's their guy.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does anyone know what happened to Brignac? He was a top 100 prospect for years and has seemingly dropped off a cliff, even in the minors last year.

He could be a good "change of scenery" guy. It's not like we have anything special in the middle infield to block anyways.
    I'm Brett.

Tobias Fünke: I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.
    Michael Bluth: There's so many poorly chosen words in that sentence.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    I'd take him seeing as he's a much more consistant defender, but he really is of no offensive value. His numbers are really no different than Florimon's in the minors last year and it wasn't much of an anomaly. I was pretty surprised when I checked his numbers to see how awful he has been offensively at every level recently. Still, if nobody has a bat, you go with the best defender, that's Brignac over Florimon.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-07-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd take him seeing as he's a much more consistant defender, but he really is of no offensive value. His numbers are really no different than Florimon's in the minors last year and it wasn't an anomaly. I was pretty surprised when I checked his numbers to see how awful he has been offensively at every level. Still, if nobody has a bat, you go with the best defender, that's Brignac over Florimon.
    Actually, outside of last year, Brignac has been a better offensive player than Florimon in the minors. His career minor league OPS (a dubious statistic, I know) is nearly 100 points better than Florimon's.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    If they don't have to give up anything to get him, I'd absolutely take him. If they need to trade something to get him, I don't know if I'd give up much. Probably the same for Elliot Johnson or any other utility infielder on the waiver wire.

I'm really surprised that the Twins haven't already brought in a warm body to compete in the infield. They need 4 or 5 guys to play 2b, 3b, ss, and utility roles. They have 1 guy and 4 question marks. Having a 5th question mark only makes sense. With only Carroll having any sort of real MLB experience, I would imagine Gardenhire would give anything for an experienced guy he could feel comfortable with, while letting the unpolished young guys get playing time at AAA. Of course maybe Ryan is sick of Gardenhire being enamored with bad veterans. But there's no reason to think that Dozier, Florimon, Escobar, or even Plouffe are any better. They might piece it together, but if things go bad or there is an injury or two, things could be even worse than last year.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Still, if nobody has a bat, you go with the best defender, that's Brignac over Florimon.
    I doubt that's true.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I doubt that's true.
    Agreed! I'm frankly not certain that Brignac is a better hitter than Florimon, and don't think his offense is any better either.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to Tweets from Darren Wolfson, he's not certain of the Twins level of interest in Brignac. He wrote that the Astros have called the Twins, but the Twins had not returned the call yet. If it got to waivers, the Astros would likely take him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Well apparently he has a hot girlfriend. I went to google his stats and autocomplete had "Reid Brignac girlfriend" ahead of "Reid Brignac Rays" and "Reid Brignac stats." What do the scouts say? Good baseball body and a hot girlfriend? We're good to go, I think.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Hot girlfriends can only improve the watchability of the television broadcasts, I'm sold.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Hot girlfriends can only improve the watchability of the television broadcasts, I'm sold.
    I miss Brain Dinkleman.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Well apparently he has a hot girlfriend. I went to google his stats and autocomplete had "Reid Brignac girlfriend" ahead of "Reid Brignac Rays" and "Reid Brignac stats." What do the scouts say? Good baseball body and a hot girlfriend? We're good to go, I think.
    The elusive Sixth Tool: good baseball girlfriend body.

Based on his lack of progression from top prospect to polished major leaguer, the stats say don't bother, he'd be just another peer in the Florimon-Escobar mix, and they have a full 40-man so it's not clear he's an improvement over the player you'd risk losing, dregs though they are. However, this is one that comes down to scouting and player evaluation, which is where the Twins have the advantage over armchair GMs like me: they no doubt saw him when Rochester played Durham, and if they saw something they think is correctable in his swing, then it's worth a low-cost pickup. So I say 'no', but if they Twins pick him up I'll hope they spotted something that the normally astute Rays braintrust missed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It would make sense to bring him in for competition but I wouldn't trade anything for him and I doubt he's getting past Houston.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm all for kicking the tires if it doesn't cost you much.

Chances are he's not an upgrade but there is always the chance that changing scenery could energize a player.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally... I'd be more interested in Eliot Johnson. All IF positions plus outfield... Can steal a base and hit an occasional dinger.

Ill be curious to see if the Twins go someplace with Johnson or Brignac.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Meh...he can't be worse then what we have but I wouldn't give up anything to get him. Honestly I'd like to see them bring Punto back, the Dodgers really have zero use for him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Meh...he can't be worse then what we have but I wouldn't give up anything to get him. Honestly I'd like to see them bring Punto back, the Dodgers really have zero use for him.
    No need to sign an infielder who had top 100 prospect promise as recently as 2010. They finally nailed down a couple guys around 30 who have been good enough to merit a combined 8 MLB ABs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast