Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #7 Eddie Rosario

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: TD Top Prospects: #7 Eddie Rosario

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great post, as usual. Could his upside be as high as Rod Carew?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nicely done. It seems like his hitting approach has produced improved numbers--homers aside--as he moves up.

Your opening had me laughing--the Hannity to his Colmes? Nice.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully he will tear up the FSL and make it to New Britain this year. Nice article.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    Wow, Rosario is moving up to Class A and there is little ahead of him? 2B should be a relatively easy position for the Twins to find talent--I wonder why the cupboard is barren between Ft. Myers and Minnapolis? Good Luck to Rosario the Twins are basically desparate to find a good 2B.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Wow, Rosario is moving up to Class A and there is little ahead of him? 2B should be a relatively easy position for the Twins to find talent--I wonder why the cupboard is barren between Ft. Myers and Minnapolis? Good Luck to Rosario the Twins are basically desparate to find a good 2B.
    The middle infield pages of the organizational depth chart binder have been stuck together, and thus forgotten about, for the better part of the last 2 decades. (Andy McPhail had an unexpectedly shaken-up Diet Fresca blow up on him while browsing it back in '93.)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 349 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was fortunate to see Rosario play 6 games last year. I think 5 of them he was at 2B and the other he was in CF. He absolutely has some of the quickest hands I've seen. I think there are a lot of swing/stance comparisons to Denard Span. Very quick hands, able to wait back, uses the whole field. But at the same time, if he gets a pitch, he will also take a huge cut, trying to hit it 450 feet to right field. I didn't see him connect on any of those, but based on his 2011 season, and hitting quite a few HR in Beloit last year, he will often.

I also agree that he has that extra hand movement. He's able to get away with it now, but it will likely need to not be there as he gets older and moves up the system.

Defensively, all reports I'd heard about him as a CF in E-Town were that he has very good range (certainly not in the Hicks/Benson/Buxton category though), and I saw a pretty impressive throwing arm, certainly enough to play CF if that were necessary.

When I saw him at 2B in early June, he was a statue. Very little range and instinct. But when I saw him play there in early August, he was much improved. Still work to do, but he turned a couple of nice DPs and showed more range. Again, I see no reason to think that he can't continue to improve and become an adequate defensive 2B in time.

He certainly is not lacking in confidence, and his performance in the Puerto Rican Winter League has him as a known commodity in his country. He has great potential.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You lost me at "Colmes had Hannity", but then you brought me back with the Milli Vanilli reference.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there are a lot of swing/stance comparisons to Denard Span.
    I just wanted to address this super quick as I saw it in your write-up on the For Better Or Worse on Rosario. I just want to make sure we are not projecting Rosario's potential numbers to be like Span's numbers based on a few similarities between the two.

The initial hand position and the lack of a east-west load in particular are shared among Span and Rosario. However, with Rosario, you see a much longer swing - albeit just has quick - whereas Span is much more of a point A-to-B type of swinger. And, unlike Span, Rosario has a pronounced stride where Span does not. Rosario, as you said, has the tendency to uncork vicious swings on occasion. This is something Span really has never done. So, unless the Twins/Rosario make some changes to reduce the hand/stride movement, I would expect Rosario to project to have greater power and less connectivity than Span.

Defensively, all reports I'd heard about him as a CF in E-Town were that he has very good range (certainly not in the Hicks/Benson/Buxton category though), and I saw a pretty impressive throwing arm, certainly enough to play CF if that were necessary.
    It could be that the evaluations of Rosario were based on the curve set by Hicks/Benson/Buxton but because the reports were coming from Baseball America, I am assuming they either spoke to scouts or someone in the organization when they said that Rosario did not have the speed for center or the arm for a corner OF position.

Could his upside be as high as Rod Carew?
    A man can dream but I don't think he will be as good as Hall of Famer Rod Carew.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    One reason for the drop in extra base hits last year was the fact he only played in 100 games. IN 449 total plate appearances he had 35 doubles, 4 triples, and 13 homre runs. If you look at that in a 600 plate appearance terms, that projects to 46 doubles and 17 home runs.

If he can continue to develop as a second baseman and his hitting stays on this path he could easily be considered the TOP prospect in our system.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    > Consider this: Since 2000, the Minnesota Twins’ collection of second basemen has produced a baseball-worst .672 OPS.

Huh. Off the top of my head I would have guessed such a number to be perfectly acceptable if the defense was good. Not major-league worst. Offense has been down a bit the past three years so averages of 12 years may be suspect, but it still looks like this armchair-GM needs to raise his standards a bit.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Great post, as usual. Could his upside be as high as Rod Carew?
    More ice, more mix.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have been a big fan of Rosario since I believe he led the GCL in stolen bases a couple years ago. This was a great read Parker, thanks!

The few times I have seen him play, he reminds me a lot of a young second baseman in the Braves organization when I was a kid. Similar build, similar speed, very quick hands/swing with the ball exploding off his bat. That young man was a second baseman in the minors who switched to the outfield for the Braves. Appears Rosario may go the reverse route. Anyway, that is what I see in Rosario and if he ends up being 75% of that player he will be a superstar!
    Last edited by roger; 02-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you just make a Henry Aaron-Rosario comp?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Celebrity Jeopardy - "And the show has reached a new low..." - YouTube

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Yes, very similar young men at the same age.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    I personally prefer the Rogers Hornsby comp to the Hank Aaron comp. Twins need 2b not of.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I personally prefer the Rogers Hornsby comp to the Hank Aaron comp. Twins need 2b not of.
    Wow! Ballsy. I cannot agree 100%, but I like your 75% comment above.

I love Eddie's potential. He is tough, smart, and polite (I hear): http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php?b=2528