Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bourn

Michael Bourn

Spring training is fast approaching and our friend Michael Bourne is still unemployed. Sounds like he's looking for 5/75M. Chances are he's going to have to take a one year deal somewhere and try again for a long term contract next year.

I'd love to see the Twins way overpay for Bourne on a one year deal. 2013's first round pick is protected, so they'd only be forfeiting the number 41 or so pick. If he's having a decent year, chances they can flip him at the deadline for better prospect than that pick, especially considering that this year's draft class is down. If by some stretch of the imagination they end up competing, offer him arbitration after 2013 and recoup the pick.

Offer him 1 year 20M and see what happens.

Makes sense to me.

Edit: It would also allow Hicks to stay down in AAA til at least June, saving an arbitration year.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What if he gets injured or has a bad first half? Your strategy is intriguing, but also seems fairly risky.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    What if he gets injured or has a bad first half? Your strategy is intriguing, but also seems fairly risky.
    There's inherent risk in every single contract. They thing is, only so much can go wrong with a one year deal. The only risk is the 20-25M it would take to sign him and the second round pick. That second round pick would almost certainly be recouped the following season by offering him arbitration. Which unless, he's run over and crippled in some type of TC Bear 4-wheeler accident, he'd decline.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 107 Posts
    But this risk comes with not only the price of the contract, but also that second round pick, which is worth more than straight cash. Things have to go perfectly for the team to get something better than a high* second round pick, imo.

*the supplemental round is smaller than years past, so second round picks might have more value than we are used to

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Luke Bard was number 42 last year.
    If Bourn is signed for the 20-25 million then traded you are essentially paying 15 million in salary to a player you don't want for the chance to maybe get a decent prospect. Why not just buy the prospect?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    If you can't afford the money on a pitcher you do need, how can you afford the money on a ofer you don't need?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    To sign Bourne, especially at the outrageous price of 20 mil! for the year comletely misses the point of this offseason. And that was to clear space on the roster to allow Bensen, Hicks, et al to prove themselves at the MLB level. Brining in an overpriced CF is the absolute last thing the Twins should do at this point.

I now. The future is ours if with old nurse. No way the Twins should give up #41 for a one year guy. Play Hicks and leave him in the outfield for ten years

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    *the supplemental round is smaller than years past, so second round picks might have more value than we are used to
    Second round picks have more value now. That's pretty much undeniable, as the Twins' second round pick this coming June is #41, #42, somewhere around there. That's 15-20 slots higher than was typical with the old CBA.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    I now. The future is ours if with old nurse. No way the Twins should give up #41 for a one year guy. Play Hicks and leave him in the outfield for ten years
    This. Same reason we're not going after Lohse. This team will never give up a draft pick for who they think is a rental player.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Especially when this guy is a Scott Boras client.

I'd rather give him 5 year 75m. But who are we kidding, we are fans of the Minnesota Twins, they refuse to spend money on big name free agents.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoline View Post
    I'd rather give him 5 year 75m.
    The Twins could have kept Revere and saved themselves $71m if that was the case.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    There are players to give those kind of years and money to, Bourn isn't one of them.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    There are players to give those kind of years and money to, Bourn isn't one of them.
    Particularly when he plays the one position your system is truly deep in.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 452 Times in 221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The Twins could have kept Revere and saved themselves $71m if that was the case.
    71 million and that priceless smile.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Particularly when he plays the one position your system is truly deep in.
    There are a half dozen reasons not to sign Bourn and not a single good reason to give him a multi-year deal. He probably won't age well, the Twins need pitching more than anything, he's a Boras client, the Twins need pitching more than anything, and the Twins also happen to have no less than three good-to-excellent CF prospects (and a smattering of marginal ones) in the wings, one of which is going to be with the big league club in 2013.

Signing Bourn to a multi-year deal requires the kind of stupidity I generally reserve for the New York Mets.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    While I'm not really on board with bringing Bourn on board, I have to say that the original poster never said anything about a multi-year deal.

My thoughts are that a one-year deal would carry a certain amount of risk, would definitely lose us a pretty good draft pick, and isn't likely to help us more than marginally in 2013. That said, everyone has a price. I think $20 million for a year of Bourn (even if the plan is to flip him) is outrageous, and I wouldn't consider it for a second. Now, if we're talking $1 million, I think we have a deal.

Obviously neither $20 million nor $1 million is realistic, so where's the happy medium? At what max one-year salary would take the risk of injury/regression and loss of a draft pick to have the upside of protecting Aaron Hicks for a few months and the possibility of some marginal-to-good prospects at the trade deadline?

Can't say as though I know, but I'd be curious to hear what those with more information would think.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I have to say that the original poster never said anything about a multi-year deal.
    I have to say that no one said he did.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A sign and trade to the Mets could be profitable, if MLB isn't willing to let them keep their 11th pick.

edit: Bourne would also allow you to hold off on starting Hicks' arb clock till June or whatever. At that point, Gibson would be nearly ready to shut down.

It might be a risk worth taking, on a 1 year deal. Trade him before the deadline for a starting pitcher to replace Gibson, and pocket the extra year of service time for Hicks and Gibson. Maybe the Mets would give us Marcum.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 02-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast