Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite #7 Memory

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your Favorite #7 Memory

To countdown the days til pitchers and catchers report, we're going to list the Twins with those numbers (thanks to this awesome list) and let you can reminisce about one of them. So who is the poster boy for day #7....

Lenny Green, 1961-64
    Jimmie Hall, 1964-66
    Frank Quilici, 1967-70
    Paul Ray Powell, 1971
    Jim Nettles, 1971-72
    Jerry Terrell, 1973-74
    Danny Walton, 1975
    Dave McKay, 1975-76
    Rob Wilfong, 1977-82
    Larry Milbourne, 1982
    Boomer Wells, 1982
    Scott Ullger, 1983
    Dave Meier, 1984-85
    Greg Gagne, 1987-92
    Denny Hocking, 1993-2003
    Joe Mauer, 2004-12

I expect this to turn into a "my favorite Mauer moment" thread, but it's worth noting that at least a couple of guys held this number immediately preceding Mauer's arrival. It looks like it's been in use solidly since the Twins 1st World Series year (26 seasons) by just three guys: Gagne, Hocking and Mauer.

But I'll go with Rob Wilfong because I SWEAR TO GAWD his baseball card was stalking me as a child. It seems like every damn pack a 12-year-old Twin opened went the same way....

1. "I wonder if there are any players from my favorite team, the Minnesota Twins, in this pack?"
    2. Shuffle quickly through them.
    3. "HEY! IT'S A TWI....
    4. ....oh. Another Rob Wilfong card. That makes eighteen."

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    4. ....oh. Another Rob Wilfong card. That makes eighteen."
    Hal Reniff became a family joke because my little sister had a fine collection of his cards due to my brother and me getting him over and over and over.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I loved watching Gagne go deep into the hole and miraculously throwing out a hitter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I loved watching Gagne go deep into the hole and miraculously throwing out a hitter.
    I just got done mentioning in the Dozier thread that I viewed Gagne as nearly as indispensable to his teams' championships runs as the better known stars. Lenny Faedo instead of Greg Gagne? No pennants.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Easy choice. Ulger.

Jimmie Hall took Lenny Green's position and his number. He was an All-Star in '64 and '65, but not a starter since tMantle was still pretty good at that time.

I will always have a special place in my heart for Denny Hocking. He came up huge in the 2002 playoffs against the As. Had a couple RBIs in the clincher and I think caught the final out in foul territory...

But then he injured his hand during the ensuing celebration, which cost him a chance to play in the ALCS. Always felt a little bad for him...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Gagne has that unique throwing motion where his elbow looks like it is at a right angle and that is the image that come to my mind:

gagne.JPG

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 451 Times in 220 Posts
    I'll never forget the month Milbourne was on the team. Good times.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,833 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Heh ... I actually forgot about Mauer and was thinking of Gagne.

I am going with Rob Wilfong, too. My first memory of having an opinion about who should be on the field is strongly believing that Wilfong NOT Bobby Randall should play second base. I am sure that 99% of my reasoning was that Wilfong had a very solid disco-era mustache and was, therefore, way cooler than Randall.

Rob Wilfong.jpg

I just checked B-R to see how my boyhood instincts were and I think Wilfong circa 1979 settled the issue once and for all - .313/.352/.458. Of course he quickly regressed. What was interesting to learn was that during his .810 OPS year, Wilfong lead the AL in sacrifice bunts with 25!! Twenty-five!! Even better, 142 for the team as a whole! That is 5.25 games worth of outs. Yikes!! Way to go Gene Mauch!!
    Last edited by Dance with Disco Dan; 02-05-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    The best thing Rob Wilfong did for the Twins was to help them net Tom Brunansky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    The best thing Rob Wilfong did for the Twins was to help them net Tom Brunansky.

Very good point. Wilfong and Doug Corbett brought back Bruno. The Twins won the talent exchange but definitely put the best mustaches in the deal:

Doug Corbett.jpgBrunansky.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    Then we should probably pause to recognize the contributions Denny Hocking made toward getting the #1 draft pick that turned into Mauer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Greg Gagne easily. How cool to have someone of the same name whose father showed that you're never too old to kick some butt.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

I always wondered why Gary Gaetti, with 2 g's in his name was the "G" man whereas Greg Gagne, with 4 g's in his name was not...

Anyway, favorite memory of a #7 was my lunch with Frank Quilici and subsequent visit to his Bloomington townhouse whereupon I got his autograph on my Twins baseball from the 1960's. He took the primo spot on the ball, or "manager position" as he called it. This is where the seams come close together and create a natural slot for an autograph.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 02-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Gagne

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,181 Times in 628 Posts
    I wonder whatever became of "Jumpin" Jim Brunzell? ...............................wait, wrong Greg Gagne.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not participating in these threads because John skipped #11, which meant I couldn't pay proper homage to my idol Rusty Kuntz.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm not participating in these threads because John skipped #11, which meant I couldn't pay proper homage to my idol Rusty Kuntz.
    It's too bad he didn't start the series soon enough to cover #25 and Randy Bush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast