Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins interested in Jose Contreras?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Well lets think about it, if by chance Jose makes the twins and in july the angels need a reliever , we could probally get there 42 draft pick from the 1988 draft, i hear he is a mop jockey at 7/11, so at least we would have an assistant for Bill Smith as he makes his annual toilete inspections.
    Johnny, what's your opinion on Terry Ryan and the Twins FO?

Signing Contreras to a minor league deal to get to Aledmys Diaz. They can be teammates in AAA for a while.

Terry Ryan, the wooer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Well, it would fit this year's theme of hoping that recently injured players will recover past form/potential and take us to an unanticipated successful season. Maybe we should have kept Baker after all.

Too bad MLB doesn't allow shirt sponsors - we could recruit a local orthopedic firm.
    You mean the majority of all free agent pitchers? There is a reason they are available.

Giving guys extra service time for pension purposes doesn't seem to exist anymore. If he even signs to a minor league deal, he would be on a rehab assignment and spending most of his time at Ft. Myers or unofficially in the GCL. A nice gesture, maybe. But to ever hand him a 40-man spot, probably not! Twins should still have rights on Zumaya now if they played it...smarter. FREE ANTHONY SLAMA!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Johnny, what's your opinion on Terry Ryan and the Twins FO?
    If you always do what you have always done
    You always get what you have always gotten

I think Terry finds more saticfaction in finding a marginal player that the other 29 clubs missed
    Then signing the player the other 29 clubs wanted...I think Ryan has good and bad attributes...
    But are they the correct match for us?

If you always do what you have always done
    You always get what you have always gotten

I think Terry finds more saticfaction in finding a marginal player that the other 29 clubs missed
    Then signing the player the other 29 clubs wanted...I think Ryan has good and bad attributes...
    But are they the correct match for us?
    ......I'm just messing with you.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-04-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Apperently we had enough pitching to allow Terry to pass on a 98 mph lefty in the rule 5 pick....the Twins could have made a 2nd selection in the 5 draft, but passed on Lara , right now here on planet earth how many lefties can throw 98 mph?
    but with Robertson on board we felt we had enough pitching....

The only way this make sense is if Terry is signing Jose in anticipation of adding another cuban and hoping Contreras will be a mentor...
    So you think the Twins have enough room for two Rule 5 guys? That is quite different than a minor league deal.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    How would this be a "no reward" deal? Essentially, if he's healthy, Contreras winds up as second-level of insurance if arms start to fall apart at the major league level. If he's terrible in spring, he's cut. If he performs well, he hangs around in Rochester as a spare part-insurance policy.
    They've got, what, 22 arms on the 40-man, and I've lost track of how many non-roster spring invites, plus one or two more in organizational filler? It sounds like there is already spare-part insurance, and adding Contreras would be an insurance policy on that insurance. As I said, I'm not banging any sticks on the ground if the signing occurs, but it doesn't strike me as of any real consequence. As always, I'm happy if events prove me wrong (that his upside was significant, not that the team will prove to need that much insurance).

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    So you think the Twins have enough room for two Rule 5 guys? That is quite different than a minor league deal.
    Who would you keep a 30 year old career .183 hitting catcher or a 25 year old lefty who throws 98mph?

If its my choice , i want 3 lefties in the pen <as Perkins is our closer i want 2 other left handed options, and are you saticfied with Robertsons 5.40 ERA or would you rather have a 98mph blazing fastballer in his place?
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 02-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Who would you keep a 30 year old career .183 hitting catcher or a 25 year old lefty who throws 98mph?

If its my choice , i want 3 lefties in the pen <as Perkins is our closer i want 2 other left handed options, and are you saticfied with Robertsons 5.40 ERA or would you rather have a 98mph blazing fastballer in his place?
    Duensing is a lefty, it will be him, Robertson and Perkins. Although I agree Robertson's role should probably be as a LOOGY.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts

An ERA over 5 and a lob% closer to 60 in high A. A great fastball for speed, but something else isn't working.

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    An ERA over 5 and a lob% closer to 60 in high A. A great fastball for speed, but something else isn't working.
    Whatever you think of Braulio Lara's potential, Butera is another great example of wasting a roster spot on a guy who is basically a dime a dozen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sure Butera is more or less a waste but now you want 13 pitchers? With the way the Twins use Mauer and Doumit I don't have a problem with a third catcher but it would be nice if they were better than Butera.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    Sure Butera is more or less a waste but now you want 13 pitchers? With the way the Twins use Mauer and Doumit I don't have a problem with a third catcher but it would be nice if they were better than Butera.
    Chris Herrmann for the win?

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    he was strickly a starter, but this off season had very good reports in winter leaque as a reliever ...

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ideally I'd like to see them use 11, like most good teams. But unless the rotation exceeds most people's expectations, it will take 12 or 13 just to keep from burning out the bullpen.

Like I said, I'm not commenting on the merits of Lara as a rule 5 pick, I'm just saying that an organization that is in rebuild mode shouldn't be scared to death of losing a backup catcher who happens to be one of the worst hitters in the history of baseball, as opposed to using the spot on someone who might actually turn into a ballplayer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Man, I wish I had Buck's Contreras photo from the BYTO forum.

I miss Buck.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Chris Herrmann for the win?
    I was thinking that too, but he has never played AAA and could probably use at least a half season of reps rather than play once a week in the bigs at this point in his career.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    A) I think people greatly overestimate how strong the Twins bullpen is. One injury, disappointment or trade could result in a 2011 repeat.

B) I'll take Contreras on an NRI. He was sneaky good when he moved to the bullpen.

C) I'm loving that this Lara obsession hasn't subsided yet. I can't wait for weekly (daily?) updates in spring training.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    B) I'll take Contreras on an NRI. He was sneaky good when he moved to the bullpen.
    Do you really want the Twins' staff getting a hold of a 41 year old who is coming off of a "rest and rehab" regime for his torn UCL?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast