Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law's System Rankings

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keith Law's System Rankings

Keith Law has the Twins at #2 in his minor league systems rankings.

"The Twins placed more players on my top 100 (seven) than any other team, only one of whom was initially signed by another organization, and they added a former top-100 guy, Trevor May, in a trade this offseason. Their system is particularly strong in center field, enough that they're working on converting Eddie Rosario to second base, and has more power arms with a chance to start than it has at any point in the past decade.

The major league team is down, and isn't going to turn it all around in a year, but there's a lot of talent coming around which the Twins can build another contender."

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    K-Law loves the Twins part 1????

He is a big upside guy and the Twins top 10 is oozing talent and upside. I'm not sure I'd have them #2 with them still being void of arms, but after this draft I think it will be pretty easy to put them in the top 5 with a shot at #1 with continued improvement from prospects and a good draft class.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's "Insider" ESPN stuff, so be sure to add the link:

St. Louis Cardinals lead Keith Law's ranking of all 30 farm systems - MLB - ESPN

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bold ranking. Like Smerf, I'm not sold on a #2 ranking with the lack of arms but there's no denying there is a ton of upside in the system right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Bold ranking. Like Smerf, I'm not sold on a #2 ranking with the lack of arms but there's no denying there is a ton of upside in the system right now.
    Law is really high on Meyer and to a lesser extent Gibson. That would explain some of it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Law is really high on Meyer and to a lesser extent Gibson. That would explain some of it.
    Yeah, I know he's high on Meyer. I'm high on Gibson as well but the ranking still seems a bit high. It seems to me a team in that position wouldn't be banking so heavily on two guys.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    True. But he was also a big supporter of Rosario and Arcia before others. It'll be interesting to see how where those 7 guys place in his top 100.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,109 Times in 593 Posts
    Yeah, this, if the current arms progress as hoped and they add some more high upside guys through this year's draft, then you can probably call it a #2.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everybody wants to talk about them being short on arms. What about middle infield? That is this teams biggest weekness if you ask me.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Everybody wants to talk about them being short on arms. What about middle infield? That is this teams biggest weekness if you ask me.
    Well, if Rosario sticks, it's far less of a problem. There is also Polanco to consider. The team is definitely short on MI talent but pitching is so much more valuable that people focus on it more than the middle infield.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    True. But he was also a big supporter of Rosario and Arcia before others. It'll be interesting to see how where those 7 guys place in his top 100.
    I loved this KLAW qoute about Arcia after the future's game.
    he loads his hands a little low but he accelerates them so well he could probably start them in the press box and still get the bat through the zone in time.

Blog Entries
    Royals 11th
    Indians 19th
    Tigers 25th
    White Sox 28th

I think this bodes well for 2014 and beyond. 2013 is another story for another thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's "Insider" ESPN stuff, so be sure to add the link:

St. Louis Cardinals lead Keith Law's ranking of all 30 farm systems - MLB - ESPN
    Sorry, I meant to do that also.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yeah, this, if the current arms progress as hoped and they add some more high upside guys through this year's draft, then you can probably call it a #2.
    Still need middle infielders , but the system is deffinatly on the right course ,since they decided to jump into the international market, and drafting strong arms instead of controll pitchers. this is 1 area we can all cheer for and a positive side to the organisation...

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    They aren't Twins yet, as soon as they graduate to the major league club, his tune will change.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post

He is a big upside guy and the Twins top 10 is oozing talent and upside. I'm not sure I'd have them #2 with them still being void of arms, but after this draft I think it will be pretty easy to put them in the top 5 with a shot at #1 with continued improvement from prospects and a good draft class.
    I'm not sure that any organization with Meyer, May, Gibson, Berrios, Williams, Baxendale, Chargois, and Melotakis could be classified as "void" of arms. Do all of those guys have a lot to prove? Sure. But outside of maybe 5 guys who qualify as prospects, that's true of every arm in the minors for every organization. Bottom line, for the first time that I can remember, the Twins have at least one prospect at every position that can be realistically projected as an average or better MLB player.

Blog Entries
    I believe his Top 100 Prospects list comes out later this week. What is your guess on the order of our prospects? Since he had Buxton ahead of Sano midseason last year, here is my guess:

Buxton
    Sano
    Meyer
    Rosario
    Gibson
    Hicks
    Arcia

I don't necessarily agree with that order, but I'm guessing KLaw's is close to that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Looks like the list will come out tomorrow.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I believe his Top 100 Prospects list comes out later this week. What is your guess on the order of our prospects? Since he had Buxton ahead of Sano midseason last year, here is my guess:

Buxton
    Sano
    Meyer
    Rosario
    Gibson
    Hicks
    Arcia

I don't necessarily agree with that order, but I'm guessing KLaw's is close to that.
    A couple weeks ago someone asked him on Klawchat if there was a rational argument for putting Buxton ahead of Sano. His response was
    I couldn't make one, but I'm listening.
    So I think its safe to conclude that Sano will be higher on the list.

My guess is Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Arcia, Rosario, Gibson, Hicks

IMO, it's less the number arms that scares me and more the number of players on the top ten list who haven't hit New Britain yet. There's a lot of upside in the system, but we're probably two years away from knowing how it's all going to play out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast