Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keith Law's System Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    K-Law loves the Twins part 1????

He is a big upside guy and the Twins top 10 is oozing talent and upside. I'm not sure I'd have them #2 with them still being void of arms, but after this draft I think it will be pretty easy to put them in the top 5 with a shot at #1 with continued improvement from prospects and a good draft class.
    Agree. A #2 ranking by KLaw, while a bit surprising, I think is in character for him. From reading and listening to him for a while, he seems to give more weight to high-upside/toolsy guys and not higher floor guys. Am very interested to see the ranks tomorrow.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALessKosherScott View Post
    IMO, it's less the number arms that scares me and more the number of players on the top ten list who haven't hit New Britain yet. There's a lot of upside in the system, but we're probably two years away from knowing how it's all going to play out.
    True. Two of the three guys in NB or higher should see significant time with Minnesota this season (Gibson and Hicks). A lot can still go wrong with this farm.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Piranha View Post
    I'm not sure that any organization with Meyer, May, Gibson, Berrios, Williams, Baxendale, Chargois, and Melotakis could be classified as "void" of arms. Do all of those guys have a lot to prove? Sure. But outside of maybe 5 guys who qualify as prospects, that's true of every arm in the minors for every organization. Bottom line, for the first time that I can remember, the Twins have at least one prospect at every position that can be realistically projected as an average or better MLB player.
    I think I recall hearing that one of the Twin's development guys, just a couple weeks ago, opined that the strength of the ststem was its pitching. Sorry, I wish I could recall the details but I can't. Anyway, on the surface that seems far-fetched, but who knows, we might be much more excited about the pitching pipeline next year at this time.

And we can add some names to this group too: Bard, Wimmers, Salcedo, Boyd, Jorge, Zach Jones, Tonkin, Boer, Hermsen- a couple of these guys might pan out too. So yeah, I agree that the system is far from void of pitching talent.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Piranha View Post
    I'm not sure that any organization with Meyer, May, Gibson, Berrios, Williams, Baxendale, Chargois, and Melotakis could be classified as "void" of arms. Do all of those guys have a lot to prove? Sure. But outside of maybe 5 guys who qualify as prospects, that's true of every arm in the minors for every organization. Bottom line, for the first time that I can remember, the Twins have at least one prospect at every position that can be realistically projected as an average or better MLB player.
    Not "void", just "a ton of question marks and little performance to back it up". Gibson and May are the only guys on the list who have shown anything above A ball and their performances have been less than stellar. I'm not bashing them (I'm high on Gibson) and I think at least one will have a solid MLB career but there is a lot of potential and not a lot of stats to back up the enthusiasm.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. Its not void, just in question still. In the next year hopefully those questions will be answered... in a good way.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Bard, Wimmers, Salcedo, Boyd, Jorge, Zach Jones, Tonkin, Boer, Hermsen
    Honestly, this is an interesting collection of quasi prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    tbh - If I'm ranking systems I don't really care if every prospect plays the same position. I care about talent and the Twins have a lot. #2 is still a little high because I'm a little more cautious than KLaw with lower level prospects though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12