Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Is Sano Too Big to Stay at Third?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Is Sano Too Big to Stay at Third?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some of those weight totals are low. Rodriguez is a monster. I find it hard to believe he's only 225; 240 seems more reasonable. And Cabrera is over 250 easily. Still if Sano continues to grow, he's destined for first base.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is that Sano is pretty fast and has a good arm. Maybe he would be more valuable in right field than at first base?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right handed, strong arm, not a great fielder, but power bat. That sounds more like a right fielder, not a first baseman. Bigger Willingham.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Body fat might be a more indicative of a problem than the size itself. UZR/150 for Rolen was always pretty good until he turned 35 or so.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Some of those weight totals are low.
    I wouldn't doubt that. BR has Sano listed at 195 (ha!). Still, as you said, that doesn't change the fact that he's a huge kid.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Some of those weight totals are low. Rodriguez is a monster. I find it hard to believe he's only 225; 240 seems more reasonable. And Cabrera is over 250 easily. Still if Sano continues to grow, he's destined for first base.
    I gotta agree with that. How can it be that Sano and Cabrera weigh the same? Just look at them, Sano looks so much thinner and wiry compared to Cabrera. Is this a muscle weighs more than fat thing? Cabrera is a blubbery chunk vs. Sano the stalwart stallion?

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sandoval is a pretty big boy over at third too.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Troy Glaus was very close in size, he was 6' 5" and a big guy that played 3rd for a long time. Leave him there until he proves that he must be moved.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've said it before, and it's only from seeing him 6 games last year, but I would keep him there as long as they can. Keep working with him. Unlike Sandoval, Sano is a tremendous athlete. He's been working on his first-step quickness. He's got good hands and a strong arm. First base is easy. He could move over there one day and be alright there. Even if he can only stay there until he's 28, 29, that's very valuable.

As others have said too though, it may not work if he gets too much bigger, but first base is always a fallback.

When I was able to interview him at Twins Fest last weekend, through a translator, he did say he's been working very hard on his defense. that said, he also said that he expected the Dominican Winter League to be much more difficult. His thing is hitting. It'll always be hitting. Defense, well, they'll find a place, but if he works, I still say keep him there as long as you can.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Seth, I've been impressed with the athleticism Sano can show at that size. He's not a plodder, and has far more bounce in his step than Cabrera. Could that change over time? Sure. But you keep him there as long as there's a chance.

I like RF more as a fall back because of his arm, but Sano is a guy who's bat will play anywhere.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    I hate to even bring this up - but reading this article I just kept thinking to myself "Are we really sure he's only 19?" Would he be as big a prospect if he were 23?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    A lot of the players listed aren't really THAT much smaller.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Thinking well out into the future, there are some impressive outfield defenders coming up, and most appear likely to be able to hit. Seems to me it would make sense to put a first baseman's glove in a few of those lockers just to increase the ability to keep some guys in the lineup. I'm thinking guys like Kepler, Arcia, Goodrum, Benson, Walker, etc.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Thinking well out into the future, there are some impressive outfield defenders coming up, and most appear likely to be able to hit. Seems to me it would make sense to put a first baseman's glove in a few of those lockers just to increase the ability to keep some guys in the lineup. I'm thinking guys like Kepler, Arcia, Goodrum, Benson, Walker, etc.
    I know Kepler has played a lot of 1B, not necessarily in the minors with the Twins, but that's what he was playing in Germany. Of the other names you throw out, I'd say Walker might be the only one where that makes sense.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    "Too big?" "Does or Doesn't" is the real real question with respect to Sano's play at 3B.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's going to stay at 3rd as long as possible. Period. It isn't as though there's some glaring hole in the OF that they can slot him into... Honestly, if he hits anywhere close to his potential, his defense can be below average and he'd still be a huge asset.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    He's going to stay at 3rd as long as possible. Period. It isn't as though there's some glaring hole in the OF that they can slot him into... Honestly, if he hits anywhere close to his potential, his defense can be below average and he'd still be a huge asset.
    I completely agree. If he can be average at 3B he becomes so much more valuable. But this kid is entering Giancarlo (Mike) Stanton territory. In all honesty, I don't know that I am that concerned about his defense. His bat is what makes this kid the #12 overall BA prospect. That quality needs to be the one that we are all concerned about.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3b is fine, why even think about it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I get frustrated whenever I see an article like this and people immediately think that the article says Sano has a zero chance at staying at 3B. This article is focused on the reality of whether or not he realistically will stick at 3B. I see a kid that is already as big as the biggest 3Bman in the league although a few weights are underreported. I expect him to grow and it's pretty likely that he's 6'5" and 270 by age 25. Realistically I think the odds are getting pretty low that he will stick at 3B regardless of how athletic he is or "how much he wants it" (quote from the other thread). I was at 50/50 earlier in the offseason but I think I'll put his odds at <25% that he sticks at 3B past age 25.

What odds do you give him? Are you willing to slow his promotion to the majors by 1-2 yrs so his defense is simply bad at the MLB level? The Royals and Nats faced this issue with Myers and harper at catcher and both chose to move them to the OF. 2013 will definitely be spent at 3B to see how well his defensive tools (they are very good) translate to actual defense. The big decision will come next offseason. If he can stay at 3B if would be awesome for the Twins but Sano could be awesome at any position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast