Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94

Thread: Sinker: Why The Twins Will Stink

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    As a fan Howard is right on. The Twins stink because the F.O. wants them too. The fans have no say and ownership doesn't care.

  2. #22
    Lots of 'boo-hoo' in that article. There is seriously no point to following something that makes you miserable. None. Then again, the poor guy does still work for a newspaper, and the Twins are a big part of his job, so I imagine his life is pretty well full of gloom and doom all day. Spending your days on the constant edge of finding out this is the week that the powers that be have decided you're out of work would turn anyone into a bitter person.

    Howard's major logical failing, along with all the people who seem to enjoy baseball doomsday prophecy, is that uncertainty does not predict failure. Past performance does not predict future results. The evidence currently suggests the 2013 Minnesota Twins will not win many of those 42 'difference maker' games, and thus this season will be yet another disappointment.

    Thing is, 29 teams every year ultimately have disappointing seasons. Fan bases all over the country have had to live with much more 'disappointment' than we. Yet with two whole down seasons behind us and staring at what might (ok, probably will) be another one, people are crying like babies. It's almost as though it's been 20 years since the team has had a winning record. You'd think that our top player signed with a division rival, and another top player was facing a 50 game PED suspension.

    Oh the owners are spendthrift misers who just love to make you miserable? They are cheap, no denying it. But with all the head banging you'd think they just traded the whole team to a business buddy in canada for pennies on the dollar. Or that they signed an aging steroid user through age 43 and still owed him more than whole team's annual payrolls.

    Everyone has misfortune in baseball, but in the end it's a drama, that gets better when things you don't expect happen. By all means be miserable about it if that's how you roll. Feel entitled to howl at the ownership because they didn't sign this free agent or spend x amount of money. You have that right if you buy anything in Hennepin County. I'm not going to tell you you can't. I am going to disagree with you, though.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    840
    Like
    415
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Here's why I believe Howard should be slightly more optimistic:


    1. The team'll probably go something like 78-85, but that means that, game to game, we'll have a better chance to witness a victory. Now, that's not good enough for some, and that's understandable. Most of us are quite tolerant of each other's thinking. But for me and many others, that improvement would be meaningful. Now, it may not happen. OK, jokin? You can be pessimistic. It's OK. Just try not to be snotty and mean about it.

    2. The team will be more fun to watch.

    To back up my first point:

    1. Anything is better than last year, including and especially the starting pitching, which, in my opinion, may be just a tad better than what the consensus believes. I base that on the health of Gibson and Pelfry and the expectation that Diamond, Hendriks, and Worley all come to work healthy. Florimon and Dozier will be decent up the middle. Hicks will be OK at the plate and stellar in center. Parmelee will be better defensively than many people think, in line with his past history in right field. Morneau appears to be healthy, as does everyone else. Plouffe is more likely to improve than not, defensively especially. Gardy can't possibly manage as poorly as he did last year. He had a bad year, like many players. I anticipate better energy from the field staff.

    2. Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, a healthy Morneau, an improved Hendriks, better defense overall, intrigue at the trade deadline, maybe some nice surprises by guys like Benson Dozier, Robertson, and then, so much to watch for ithe minors.

    So, while my expectations are rather modest I believe, I'm going to have fun watching this team play baseball in 2013.

    By the way, jokin, what's the opposite of an apologist?

  4. #24
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,520
    Like
    846
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post

    The evidence currently suggests the 2013 Minnesota Twins will not win many of those 42 'difference maker' games, and thus this season will be yet another disappointment.

    I am going to disagree with you, though.
    Isn't that what Howard just pointed out? What exactly are you disagreeing with?

    The only bitterness I see is from you, towards anyone who dares try to remotely criticize the direction this team is headed.

    We're all Twins fans, get off your sanctimonious high horse and grab a dose of reality.

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    134
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    As a fan Howard is right on. The Twins stink because the F.O. wants them too. The fans have no say and ownership doesn't care.
    The front office is actively sabotaging the team? Do you also believe that the moon landing was done in a studio in New Mexico?

    Your post is bad, and you should feel bad.

  6. #26
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Questioning the fandom of a season ticket holder who had his wedding at the stadium.....priceless.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Questioning the fandom of a season ticket holder who had his wedding at the stadium.....priceless.
    One's fandom is only as valid as they think it is. If someone telling you you're not a true fan raises your hackles, you've got some issues that you need to investigate.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Here's why I believe Howard should be slightly more optimistic:


    1. The team'll probably go something like 78-85, but that means that, game to game, we'll have a better chance to witness a victory. Now, that's not good enough for some, and that's understandable. Most of us are quite tolerant of each other's thinking. But for me and many others, that improvement would be meaningful. Now, it may not happen. OK, jokin? You can be pessimistic. It's OK. Just try not to be snotty and mean about it.

    2. The team will be more fun to watch.

    To back up my first point:

    1. Anything is better than last year, including and especially the starting pitching, which, in my opinion, may be just a tad better than what the consensus believes. I base that on the health of Gibson and Pelfry and the expectation that Diamond, Hendriks, and Worley all come to work healthy. Florimon and Dozier will be decent up the middle. Hicks will be OK at the plate and stellar in center. Parmelee will be better defensively than many people think, in line with his past history in right field. Morneau appears to be healthy, as does everyone else. Plouffe is more likely to improve than not, defensively especially. Gardy can't possibly manage as poorly as he did last year. He had a bad year, like many players. I anticipate better energy from the field staff.

    2. Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, a healthy Morneau, an improved Hendriks, better defense overall, intrigue at the trade deadline, maybe some nice surprises by guys like Benson Dozier, Robertson, and then, so much to watch for ithe minors.

    So, while my expectations are rather modest I believe, I'm going to have fun watching this team play baseball in 2013.

    By the way, jokin, what's the opposite of an apologist?
    Did we switch to a 163 game season?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    The front office is actively sabotaging the team? Do you also believe that the moon landing was done in a studio in New Mexico?

    Your post is bad, and you should feel bad.
    Seriously, man. Why even waste your time directly replying to stuff like that? It's obviously from someone who either is actively saying obnoxious stuff or from someone who can't think things through properly.

  10. #30
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,520
    Like
    846
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Did we switch to a 163 game season?
    One game playoff to determine who finishes last, the Twins or the Astros.......................KIDDING!!!!!!

  11. #31
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    One game playoff to determine who finishes last, the Twins or the Astros.......................KIDDING!!!!!!
    That'd be hilarious!

  12. #32
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,520
    Like
    846
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    The front office is actively sabotaging the team? Do you also believe that the moon landing was done in a studio in New Mexico?

    Your post is bad, and you should feel bad.
    Same place they filmed 9/11.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    840
    Like
    415
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Geez, I write a friggin treatise and get picked apart for my arithmetic. /s

  14. #34
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    One's fandom is only as valid as they think it is. If someone telling you you're not a true fan raises your hackles, you've got some issues that you need to investigate.
    A true fan loves the team enough to question poor decisions and to demand better when better is attainable soley to establish an enjoable, winning and enduring product. A lackadaisical fan says Que sera, sera. That's the difference between tough love and enabling. How are your hackles?
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-01-2013 at 04:15 PM.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    I had season tickets in the 90's when they were terrible and I will have season tickets again this year even though they are going to be terrible. Even though we won't be competitive there are still many things I look forward to watching and see develop. And if by some stroke of luck we do compete this year than it's a bonus for me.
    That is probably the right attitude to have going into this season. But it sure is fun to complain about the seemingly lack of improvement that the teams appears to have this off-season.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Here's why I believe Howard should be slightly more optimistic:


    1. The team'll probably go something like 78-85, but that means that, game to game, we'll have a better chance to witness a victory. Now, that's not good enough for some, and that's understandable. Most of us are quite tolerant of each other's thinking. But for me and many others, that improvement would be meaningful. Now, it may not happen. OK, jokin? You can be pessimistic. It's OK. Just try not to be snotty and mean about it.

    2. The team will be more fun to watch.

    To back up my first point:

    1. Anything is better than last year, including and especially the starting pitching, which, in my opinion, may be just a tad better than what the consensus believes. I base that on the health of Gibson and Pelfry and the expectation that Diamond, Hendriks, and Worley all come to work healthy. Florimon and Dozier will be decent up the middle. Hicks will be OK at the plate and stellar in center. Parmelee will be better defensively than many people think, in line with his past history in right field. Morneau appears to be healthy, as does everyone else. Plouffe is more likely to improve than not, defensively especially. Gardy can't possibly manage as poorly as he did last year. He had a bad year, like many players. I anticipate better energy from the field staff.

    2. Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, a healthy Morneau, an improved Hendriks, better defense overall, intrigue at the trade deadline, maybe some nice surprises by guys like Benson Dozier, Robertson, and then, so much to watch for ithe minors.

    So, while my expectations are rather modest I believe, I'm going to have fun watching this team play baseball in 2013.

    By the way, jokin, what's the opposite of an apologist?
    I like some/most of your comments. However, Florimon-Dozier up the middle will NOT be decent. I can't think of a worse middle infield combo in all of baseball. Those 2 might set a record for worst WAR in any one season if allowed to play all year.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    128
    Like
    26
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Posts like these, bickering at each other for being positive or negative, makes me wonder why I even bother reading the comments. I should just stick to reading Seth and some of the other main posters articles and leave it at that!!!

  18. #38
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,672
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombo Rivera View Post
    I like some/most of your comments. However, Florimon-Dozier up the middle will NOT be decent. I can't think of a worse middle infield combo in all of baseball. Those 2 might set a record for worst WAR in any one season if allowed to play all year.
    You may be right... You may be wrong... It might be somewhere in between... Personally... I can't wait to find out...

    If I think about April really hard... Is there any chance it will get here faster?

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Geez, I write a friggin treatise and get picked apart for my arithmetic. /s
    I'm sorry, I forgot to put a smiley. I was just kidding.

  20. #40
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Dude has always been Mr negative and clearly is not a real fan. /s
    why?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.